Mooney M20J Crash NJ

GLJA

Saw the video a bit earlier and was just looking for any notice here. Did see it was NOT @Alan Fox, per his FB post.

Any other info? Report said the plane was submerged, but did not mention survivors or fatalities.

22 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

If anyone from the east coast group knows of the victim, particularly contact info for the surviving spouse, please let me know.

Mike it is an Airmods plane , Contact Shane at Airmods Robbinsville NJ ,  There is a video of this pilot flying about 20 feet off of the water , 12 miles from the impact....

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, steingar said:

What dah phuk?  That 201 was straight and level with a landable beach a few feet away.  Could the pilot have had a medical issue?

Its obvious the plane was not trying to land , by the pitch angle , also the impact was 12 miles from the video....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is a bit troubling with the video ‘seemingly’ showing him flying very low prior to the accident, seems to be under power too. Besides reducing margins, that’s where a lot of birds hang out, not saying it was a bird strike.

At least the one video showed him close to the beach, the actual crash site may of been further out.

1 minute ago, steingar said:

What dah phuk?  That 201 was straight and level with a landable beach a few feet away.  Could the pilot have had a medical issue?

The beach footage looks like typical high speed pass but even lower than most.

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

I suppose the guy could have been an Icon pilot wannabe.  Not so much margin that low.  I suppose he could have hit a wing tip on a swell or something.

If the plane caught a swell at that speed it would do several things at the same time...the two most important would be deflection and deceleration. At a shallow angle it would skip like a stone while simultaneously throwing the pilot (and likely the yoke) forward.

1 minute ago, Shadrach said:

If the plane caught a swell at that speed it would do several things at the same time...the two most important would be deflection and deceleration. At a shallow angle it would skip like a stone while simultaneously throwing the pilot (and likely the yoke) forward.

Yeah, and if the pilot and yoke got shoved forward the aircraft would crash violently into the sea.  Really dumb way to go.

Edited by steingar

2 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

Mike it is an Airmods plane , Contact Shane at Airmods Robbinsville NJ ,  There is a video of this pilot flying about 20 feet off of the water , 12 miles from the impact....

Pm me their contact info, Alan. I'll reach out to Shane

Mike

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Over on Beechtalk someone posted a quote, the person said it was about 3 feet off the water, hit a little swell, went about 50 yards in the air, then straight down and was gone. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Ugh.  Hard to know the pilot's state of mind.  Ordinary reckless / impulsive or serious mental health issue.  Perhaps more info will emerge.  Regardless,  these crashes are terrible for everyone. 

Tough run for the Airmods rental fleet - I recall a 2 person fatality crash of another rental J model of theirs a couple years ago at Sky Manor. That one was pure pilot error - late go around after a bad approach, power on stall-spin.   

Edited by DXB
  • Like 2

Prayers for the lost air/seaman...

The flightaware track indicates the flight being above 400’.  But the track ends long before the flight does...

There is a slider for speed and altitude on the graph and the yellow ground track on the map changes with respect to the data.

FlightAware is not any better than most eyewitnesses...  the last data points climb gently above 1k’

The flight continued on another 30 or so miles from AC to WWD before crashing...

A sad day in NJ aviation...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Theory.....Lots of birds down there....He could have had a bird strike.    I chopped up a sea gull many years ago in my Arrow flying at 500' off the coast.   Since then whenever I overfly the shore I fly slow.     I don't know if it is factual or not but it seems to me that landing lights on attracts birds.    I no longer turn them on when overflying the shore.    I feel bad for his family.