New TXi Panel - PIREP

Here is the latest update of my 252 Encore.  I put the deposit on the equipment in late-late 2018 to take advantage of Garmin's holiday promotions.  Because I have a factory 252 Encore, my vacuum was completely removed (primary and backup) for this upgrade as my speed brakes are electric and I am on the 28v electrical system with dual alternators.

What I installed:  G500 TXi, G5 backup, WX-500, EDM 930 to replace all my primary insturments, and CiES fuel senders.  With the update, I was able to gain almost 50lbs by replacing the round gauges with glass - now up to 1110 #UL.  I already had the GTN 750, FS 510, GMA 35c, and GTX 345.  I'd still like to remove the KX155 with something more modern but that'll have to wait until next time.

I had a big pause the first week of April when Garmin announced their G3X Certified.  I was on the webinars and on the phone with my avionics shop for like two days, literally the week my bird was going down for install of the TXi.  What I quickly realized, even though I could have changed over to the G3X, was that the G3X is limited to what can talk to it.  My KFC 150 would not, my remote audio panel would not, and a couple of other things like a stormscope or radar.  I priced a GFC 500 install but I had a hard-time replacing a perfectly working autopilot to save about 4AMU on the display with the labor about 14AMU just for KFC extraction and GFC install + equipment. I decided to stick with my TXi install and they even gave me a pretty big credit on the SVT enablement which brought the price much closer to the G3X.

I had the panel made independently of the install shop and got to play around with the designs until I got what I wanted. They custom matched powder for my panel and laser eteched the plackards. It is a tight fit behind the panel but I love the design and layout. Super happy.

I also went with the GCU 485 Dedicated PDF Controller. I fly a lot of IFR and don't want to be rolling a single knob in IMC in busy airspace on the TXi.  So far the controller has proved very quick with changes to direct my KFC 150.  The only thing that does not have a function is the IAS - right now it is just a bug on the TXi.  I am hoping for a slide-in Aerocruze to be an option if/when my KFC 150 goes awry and should give me the IAS function. Right now, I think the KFC flies as good, if not better with the TXi controlling it.  Altitude capture, VS, GPSS, HDG, Approach, ILS all works easier with one interface and no knob turning.

A couple of not-seen additions were enabling the Telligence™ Voice Command that was apart of the remote audio panel.  I thought this was a gimmic at best, but I use this in every phase of flight: "Tune to Clearance", "Tune to Weather" (ATIS or ASOS), "Tune to Ground", "Tune to Tower", "Tune to nearest Approach".  It is very helpful.  If there are multiple frequencies, it will show me on the 750 and let me select.

The other thing that was enabled was the VNav guideance.  This function is awesome.  I don't get the benefit of my legacy KFC doing the actuall step-down VNav like the Garmin autopilots, but I hit two buttons to do that: VS-engage + ALT-arm and it will do the same thing.  Automatically loading the crossing altitudes for STARs and or approaches is great situational awareness. I did not think this feature (built-into the GTN) was that big of a deal until it was enabled for the G500 displays.

I am now having a fire-sale of all my existing equipment. Check that out here.

IMG_0308.JPEG

IMG_0313.JPEG

IMG_0314.JPEG

IMG_0318.JPEG

IMG_0319.JPEG

IMG_0327.JPEG

IMG_0337.JPEG

IMG_0339.JPEG

IMG_0340.JPEG

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, donkaye said:

Looks like a great setup.  Why didn't the avionics shop bring over heading from the TXi magnetometer to the G5?  Or did you set it up for TRK?

My G5 has a sync error for Heading and Baro they need to fix.

1 hour ago, Davidv said:

It looks amazing!  At first I had some extreme jealousy as a bravo guy when it looked like you were getting 200+ TAS at 9.5 gph but it turns out it was 183 at 14.2.  Now only mild jealousy :).

Yeah, I was playing with ROP, LOP settings in the new panel now that I have accurate TAS and primary engine monitor.  Turns out that was one of my worse settings - I think that was 150° ROP at the top of ascent with my Cowl Flaps wide open.  With accurate data, I am starting to record these settings for future use.  Your Bravo will beat me at any altitude.

2 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

Don, the install looks great.  Did the G5 fit in the same space as the ESI-500 or did you need a new panel cut?

The G5 fit in the same place as the ESI 500 except the panel was modified by the shop to flush mount the G5.

• 1 month later...