Garmin GTX 345 and Flight Stream

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Use some caution Greg...

We have some people from Garmin here as well... and some fans of their products.

It is not normal behavior to bash the other guys.

It just muddies the waters and nothing gets through after that mess occurs.

The rules are a bit different when MSers give their personal opinions...

As a business you get to perform at a higher level...

PP thoughts only, not a marketing guru...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you and not trying to bash at all, just giving my opinion as to how I perceive the Manufacturers of Avionics Equipment.  I think everyone of them have their place and strengths.  There is a lot of things I would rather go with Garmin on, however, in relation to this thread and the things people are talking about here, I feel, personally, not professionally, that "Brand X is a better choice than "Brand Y".  If a manufacturer is upset because I do not recommend their product, then shame on them.  

• Like 1

I just bought the GNX-375 with Garmin Connext and the 2 way flight plan transfer works perfectly!  This came standard with the unit for no extra cost, I assume this is the direction most new Garmin products will be going?  The only difference I see between connext and flightstream appears to be database updates.  I need to use the SD card in my laptop for that but it’s been very easy so far.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

XM Weather v. ADS-B Weather?

I currently have XM weather, and will be installing a GTX345 which will give me ADS-B  weather.  As for traffic, I  I have an Avidyne TCAD  which is active traffic  and the GTX345 will give me ADS-B traffic.   In the case of traffic information, the GTX345  takes command of the Avidyne TCAD and looks at both traffic sources.  If  information is duplicative,  then it shows one traffic target.   if one source augments something that is not coming from the other,  it shows that single traffic source  which the other did not show.

I'm not sure  how to whether sources are handled.   I suspect one would be able to switch between one source and the other and visually compare them.   I also suspect that the XM weather is more reliable than the ADS-B  whether.  Comments are appreciated.

John Breda

I have the GTX345 and a GDL52R. So 2 ADSB receivers and one SXM receiver. The iPad sees it all. In the overlay selection you get to pick any of the available products as seen in the screenshot below. GP only shows the choices if it has seen the equipment in the past. So if you have never paired to an SXM receiver you won’t see it as a choice.

Out here in the west the SXM actually seems to have more areas of no radar coverage. But the resolution is better. It is nice having redundancy because often a product like a metar may not be available on one of the services. It is worth it to me to have both.

a12cd1a61d6759bcf8451261c3eaa3cb.jpg