GTX 335 Install - Completed

I was going back and forth about whether to put in a skyBeacon and rely upon my old Narco transponder or bite the bullet and put in something from this century. Aircraft Spruce had a special for the GTX 335, GAE12, and GA35 plus a wiring harness. I asked my AP/IA (still getting to know the new one since moving to KFUL) if he had supervised any owner installs. He asked if I had done any electrical work on planes. I told him I had removed old avionics, made and run RG400 for the radios, replaced the ignition switch, starter solenoid, voltage regulator, and random stuff like bulbs. In theory this would be an easy install, just mount the tray, run the wires, and hook up power and ground. His response was, ok, let's do it.

I reached out to @Aerodon to see if he could be Spruce's deal. I had bought a SL-40 and EDM-830 from him about 18 months prior. He gave me a price, I placed the order, and reserved my rebate just in time, five days before they ran out.

I started pulling seats, interior panels, and the right side of the instrument panel to get ready for when the box showed up. There was more than once when I had the thing all apart that I thought, "Man, I have to remember how to put it all back together." First snag was when I found that the space above the #1 radio between it and the audio panel where I was going to put the transponder was not quite tall enough and required moving the radios down. I couldn't move the audio panel up because of the bars behind the panel.

Other than it taking a lot more time than I thought the installation went smooth. My AP/IA put in the doubler for the GA35, it was going in place of the old loran antenna that had been installed with some jagged holes cut (not drilled) through the skin with no doubler sometime many years ago.

The transponder check was perfect, it passed the ADS-B checkflight and I submitted the rebate on Saturday. All total I think I had about 21-22 hours in the install. The avionics guy that did the transponder check said most of the shops around here are charging 14 hours for a simple install that isn't connecting to a bunch of other things so I think I came out okay with the time I put in.

If you want to read "the rest of the story" you can do that here, https://intothesky.us/2019/05/25/gtx335-installed-2020-compliant-and-preventative-maintenance/

I also had my AP/IA replace all the control cables. I couldn't find where the throttle and mixture had ever been done in the logs and the prop cable was done back in 1990. The new ones are smooth as butter.

A few pictures, more pictures if you go to the blog post.

20190516_194435.thumb.jpg.b92be95895ca8078f4769f73cb24d409.jpg20190524_214724.thumb.jpg.eae3623b70e37ec00b15842ab0af5531.jpgPanel.thumb.jpg.ea0e288f983f2894b02ee6aafb181220.jpg

• Like 12

I received the email this morning that the rebate had been approved and the check will go out. As a data point to a different thread, I did not have to supply proof of purchase or any additional information besides what is filled out on the online form that you submit.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

@Skates97

I’m thinking going the same route, my current transponder collin tdr 950 quit. I want to get the Gnx 375 but can’t get any shop to do it for an other 2-3 months. Did you get the custom wire harness with it? Was it hard to do the harness? Any special tools should I get?

Thank you,

1 hour ago, CDO said:

@Skates97

I’m thinking going the same route, my current transponder collin tdr 950 quit. I want to get the Gnx 375 but can’t get any shop to do it for an other 2-3 months. Did you get the custom wire harness with it? Was it hard to do the harness? Any special tools should I get?

Thank you,

I got everything through @Aerodon. I told him what I wanted in the harness, he had the harness made for me and came in less than what AS was selling the kit for. No special tools, I borrowed a crimper from the company that does our IT to make the RG-400 cable from the GA-35 to the transponder and the transponder to the antenna. Mine was a simple install, not interfacing with a GPS in the panel or an audio panel so really all there was to hook up was power/ground and the cables to the antennas. The most difficult part of it was moving things around in the radio stack so that it would fit.

I'm not sure about the GNX 375, my guess is more involved than a simple transponder. What are you putting it in? It is listed as for experimental only.

23 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

I'm not sure about the GNX 375, my guess is more involved than a simple transponder. What are you putting it in? It is listed as for experimental only.

The GNX375 can only be sold "over the counter" for experimental. For certified aircraft you have to buy it through a Garmin installer.

• Thanks 1

Sorry I didn’t make it clear, I originally wanted the gnx 375 but all the shops that I talked to don’t have any open slot for 2-3 months. My current transponder not working at all. So I’m leaning toward getting the gtx 335 and have my IA supervises the installation. How long did it take Aerodon to do your harness? I called AS and it takes about 6-8 weeks, this long I would rather wait for the shop to do the 375.

Edited by CDO

@carusoam I currently have WAAS from Garmin g5 AI, I wouldn’t mind pre owned but it has to be reasonably easy for the installation and get it done soon. I will be out of the country for about month from January if I can not get it done before that then I will wait for the shop to do the 375

Let’s see if @Alan Fox has something on the shelf...

1) Replace... dead Collins 950 transponder...

2) Use Garmin G5 as the WAAS source...

3) Meet 2020 ADSB out...

4) MSer is familiar with... Garmin 375... but can’t get shop time for that... the shop time for the 375 is a bit more extensive...

5) Hard to fly without a working transponder...

@CDO where are you and your plane located?

Let me know if I have missed anything or need corrections...

Best regards,

-a-

59 minutes ago, CDO said:

How long did it take Aerodon to do your harness? I called AS and it takes about 6-8 weeks, this long I would rather wait for the shop to do the 375.

Just took a look back at my emails. I first contacted Don on 5/6 asking if he could do the same package as AS. After a few emails back and forth determining what kind of wiring I needed in the harness he had it packaged and shipped on 5/10. Pretty good turn around.

52 minutes ago, CDO said:

I currently have the waas antenna for a G5 and if I understand correctly I can use it for gtx 335 and use the output back to the G5 via Rs232 ?

I believe so.

40 minutes ago, carusoam said:

CDO,

you have a WAAS source in the plane already?

If you do...

We know a guy...

With a stack of pre-owned garmin transponders... good for ADSB out...

Interested in going pre-owned for that?

Best regards,

-a-

Calling on @Alan Fox, what do you have in the way of a transponder that is ADS-B out that CDO could use?

Edit: Looks like Anthony clicked submit a minute before I did... (Thought I could beat him to the punch, what was I thinking?)

Edited by Skates97
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

G5 is not an approved waas source.  Got an ifr waas navigator in the panel?

If I recall the g5 manual correctly it could be done by GPS atennal go to Gtx 335 first and use the output from 335 back to the g5 via rs232 but I’m not 100% positive on this 

Edited by CDO
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, CDO said:

If I recall the g5 manual correctly it could be done by GPS atennal go to Gtx 335 first and use the output from 335 back to the g5 via rs232 but I’m not 100% positive on this 

I’m not exactly sure what you mean above, but a G5 cannot provide a certified waas source for an adsb transponder.  Now if that transponder has its own Waas gps,that would be fine (ie gtx345 with gps).

Can a gtx 335 have its own waas gps in it?

GTX 375 is a much more involved installation - think 20+ hrs of labor vs 10 for a GTX 335.

If you're at Smoketown - there's a shop in Donegal Springs that has an excellent reputation.  Lancaster Avionics is a bigger shop next to Henry Weber at LNS. 

On 12/3/2019 at 10:00 PM, CDO said:

I currently have the waas antenna for a G5 and if I understand correctly I can use it for gtx 335 and use the output back to the G5 via Rs232 ?

Yes this is correct.  You can connect your existing WAAS / RG400 to the 335 (with GPS receiver) or 375 and send that output back to the G5 for a WAAS source.

There is a provision in the latest G5 revisions to use a simple BNC dash mount antenna.  You can avoid the extra RS-232 connection this way.  This is what I now have.  

image.png.e283617bbaa888b3a315d0c759392f1d.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 9:46 AM, Skates97 said:

I received the email this morning that the rebate had been approved and the check will go out. As a data point to a different thread, I did not have to supply proof of purchase or any additional information besides what is filled out on the online form that you submit.

Richard, did you have a 91.411/413 done at the same time?  I believe it needs it when you install the 335. Just want to make sure you are taken care of.

20 minutes ago, Baker Avionics said:

Richard, did you have a 91.411/413 done at the same time?  I believe it needs it when you install the 335. Just want to make sure you are taken care of.

Yes, local guy who's whole business is just travelling around doing those checks. The plane is not IFR so only had 91.413 done.

5 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Yes, local guy who's whole business is just travelling around doing those checks. The plane is not IFR so only had 91.413 done.

Ok....just understand that it doesn't give that option in the Garmin STC Installation Manual:

8.3.2 Regulatory Tests
With the transponder operating in Normal mode and in an airborne state (refer to Section 8.1.1), the
following regulatory tests are required to be performed. The Altitude Reporting Equipment Test is required
to be performed for each altitude source interfaced to the transponder, including the GAE.

These regulatory tests require the use of a Mode S transponder ramp tester, such as an Aeroflex IFR-6000
or TIC TR-220. Specific instructions for operating the ramp tester are contained in the applicable
operator's manual.
1. Altitude Reporting Equipment Tests in accordance with 14 CFR Part 91.411 and Part 43
Appendix E.
2. ATC Transponder Tests and Inspections in accordance with 14 CFR Part 91.413 and Part 43
Appendix F.

Because you are installing the GAE, and in general, something that is requiring altitude reporting equipment, it is necessary to perform a 91.411 as well because of it for initial certification.  Just be careful Richard, trying to help out as a 30 year Avionics Guy that has done a bunch of these.  It is required bottom line.  It doesn't give you any lateral variance.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I'm trying to just go off memory and assuming it was just the 91.413 because I had told him it was a VFR bird. He did know that it was a fresh install of a 335 because he went through all the setups on the transponder with me to make sure they were all correct. He's done quite a few of these with everyone that is getting ADS-B compliant. I'll have to go back and look at the logbook entry he gave me to see exactly what it says.

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

Thanks, I'm trying to just go off memory and assuming it was just the 91.413 because I had told him it was a VFR bird. He did know that it was a fresh install of a 335 because he went through all the setups on the transponder with me to make sure they were all correct. He's done quite a few of these with everyone that is getting ADS-B compliant. I'll have to go back and look at the logbook entry he gave me to see exactly what it says.

No worries, just wanted you to be sure you are legal and all.  Not trying to bust anyone's chops.  

• Thanks 1