What were they thinking? (Headliner)

I've owned my 66 C for about 7 years, loved everything about it.  But as time marches on, gravity has been taking its toll on my headliner.  As a started to investigate what is failing, I assumed the fibers from the headliner were deteriorating.  To my surprise I found the headliner glued directly to the foam insulation.  The insulation Is crumbling away from age.  Why would the shop (some interior shop in San Diego that no longer exists, no surprise) glue it directly to the insulation?  Was this a normal way of doing this?  Were they trying to save weight? Were they cheap?

I would assume that the right way would be to glue the fabric to a piece of flat .063 thick ABS.  This piece could then be held in place by all the trim.  Since the insulation is failing it will also need to be replaced.  I found a link to 1/2 inch closed cell soundproofing foam on another thread, which seems to be the best choice.

Any other suggestions?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 1967 427
Title error

I am sure there are many ways to do this.  When replacing my baggage door fabric and liner I used .020 aluminum as a backing material.  I glued foam to it and then covered it with vinyl fabric that had FAA fire certification (All American Naugahyde from Sailrite).  The aluminum was very easy to work with.

IMG_5804.jpg

IMG_5805.jpg

IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg

• Like 3

1967- I'm not familiar with your particular year, but the older models had metal bows to form the curvature at the roof. It looks like the later models didn't have bows, which would mean that the only way (other than to use a plastic headliner) to get the fabric to conform and stay conformed to the curvature, would be to glue it all in place.  I doubt it was ever expected to last as long as it has!

Rwsavory- thanks for posting the baggage door pics- I have saved that bit for last and I think I'm going to do the same thing with mine...

Looks like 67’s 66 ceiling was done in a modern automotive way...

After about 20years the foam oxidizes and degrades, leaving the fabric sagging...

RWS... nice job on the baggage door... My 65C had a cardboard base with vinyl covering over it... and some fancy spring clips holding it in location...

The aluminum piece looks like a premium way to go...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

I used a plastic sheet for my bag door.  Spruce has it and I wanted to try it.  I may try to make the lower side panels with it too.  Your door turned out better than mine.  I thought the material was thick enough to hide the clips that hold the panel in.  It’s not.  I can live with it but live and learn.