Do you carry a personal transport device in your Mooney?

231LV

On 5/29/2019 at 7:40 AM, nosky2high said:

I used to have one until it was swiped by someone. They are fun to ride. I stuffed mine in the back of my 252 and took it to Burning Man. It was great for riding around there in all the deep dirt. It was easy to ride, but had a nasty habit of stoping if ridden too fast. That would immediately pitch you off the front onto your head. I took a few nasty falls when it would abruptly stop. They acknowledge it's a bug in the software, but on the forums folks say it's still a problem. The nice part was that it would run in the grass and dirt just as easy as on the street.

5 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

I loved this post it so made me smile.  I have NO idea what a 700cm wheel would look like. Even though we are totally metric over on this part of the world, for some reason bicycle wheel sizes are still in inches. So someone quoting cms on that side of the Atlantic for something we still measure in inches was a tad amusing. 

it is actually a 700mm wheel. A 700cm wheel would be about 20 feet in diameter. The 700mm wheel is the standard road bike world wide.

The Xootr scooter is something I forgot to mention that I have.  It is a traditional kick scooter, but large size with larger wheels and wider platform to fit an adult. It is really easy to use and suitable for short distances like 1 or 2 miles.  Like if you go to an airport and you want to be someplace close, it is a very viable solution.  It is lovely to just kick and then glide gracefully for a bit.  It folds and unfolds almost instantly so very convenient.  And cheap.

https://www.xootr.com/index.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt8uLrr3S4gIVCNtkCh3gOgGyEAAYASAAEgLr7PD_BwE

8 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

700cm well thats only about 22.9 feet, must be a penny farthing. Lol.  

You would need some very long legs to ride that baby.

Now here and in England, typically recreation road bikes are listing the size in terms of the wheel size, in inches.  But racing road bikes, meaning the truly more expensive stuff, a standard racing bike has a 700c rim - in mm.  I don't know why it says c.  But funny enough, racing grade mtn bike stuff is listed in inches no matter how high end, even olympics grade.  They are either 26'', 27.5'', or the now very popular 29'', or Loveling called a 29'er.  Which is the rim size.

9 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

The Xootr scooter is something I forgot to mention that I have.  It is a traditional kick scooter, but large size with larger wheels and wider platform to fit an adult. It is really easy to use and suitable for short distances like 1 or 2 miles.  Like if you go to an airport and you want to be someplace close, it is a very viable solution.  It is lovely to just kick and then glide gracefully for a bit.  It folds and unfolds almost instantly so very convenient.  And cheap.

https://www.xootr.com/index.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt8uLrr3S4gIVCNtkCh3gOgGyEAAYASAAEgLr7PD_BwE

+1 on the xootr. Wife got me one years ago, and it’s still going strong.

company founded by an avid GA guy who, sadly, was lost when his MU2 Dwent down between Bahamas and FL not long ago.

-dan

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, Niko182 said:

With the seats folded down, the back of the mid and long body moonies have an insane amount of room in them. Usually when i travel somewhere, ill stuff on of my mountain bikes in the back, and its usually pretty simple. When i flew to canada for crankworx, i stuffed 4 full sized mountain bikes in the back of the plane, some camping gear, a matress, and helmets and 2 people. All i have to do was take the wheels off.

I ride a lot for fun so i take my bike practically everywhere i go. It takes me 5 minutes to stuff it in the back.

Any pictures of that? I would like to see how you pack it in.

1 hour ago, exM20K said:

I guess I have the same risk with iPad and iPhone....

Something to consider...

Sure Li-ion battery packs can light themselves on fire...

Often the challenge is how much energy they are storing when the problem occurs....

One problem that occurs is a loss of control during the charging process...  don’t over charge or charge to rapidly... the quality of the charger controller is going to be important.

Looking back over history... how many Apple devices have lit themselves on fire?  (There must be some)

The nice thing about about the iPhone and iPad... there are so many used in aviation and GA... if there is a systemic problem with them... chances are we are not Going to be the first to find out...  well, one of us will be first to let everybody else know...

The challenge with personal transport devices... the batteries are carrying a lot of energy when they are fully charged.  Few people are going to have the shared experience with the same model and brand... and taken to altitude...

Is there any altitude that these specific batteries have been tested to already? There must be some type of venting for the battery containers...

That first flight must come with some unease... keep it nearby to be able to monitor its temperature...?

How are the airlines handling this? Is it a ‘just say no’ policy? Or does the user take it on board and keep it on the floor in front of them?

PP thoughts only, a hot iPhone can fit out the pilot’s window... :)

Best regards,

-a-

https://www.montaguebikes.com

If you prefer full sized mountain or road bikes, this company makes a high quality range of folding bikes with standard sized frames and wheels. Two of them fit perfectly in my K and can be unfolded and ready to ride in less than a minute  

22901FFF-700F-40B7-AF74-3C2941C3E3EF.jpeg

On 5/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, ujhan said:

We take two Bromptons with us wherever we go. They also have an attachment that allows a kid to sit in front of you.. two bikes, four people. They weigh 12kg each and leave enough space in the baggage compartment for two small suitcases and a backpack or two...

My friend, a Cherokee guy, has a couple of Bromptons and loves them.  Has an electric retrofit kit on one.  I never thought to check, can you get them through the luggage door of the Mooney?

On 6/8/2019 at 1:16 PM, squeaky.stow said:

If you prefer full sized mountain or road bikes, this company makes a high quality range of folding bikes with standard sized frames and wheels. Two of them fit perfectly in my K and can be unfolded and ready to ride in less than a minute  

I have a couple of Montagues and they are great bikes.  I often take at least one in the Mooney.  What I don’t like about it is trying to get it through the pax door.  I always feel like I’m going to take out a window or damage the interior.  Have had a couple of close calls almost dropping the bike on the wing.  They are not the lightest folding bikes out there. The bag is almost a requirement, but the bag they sell is not the best quality.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 5:46 AM, takair said:

My friend, a Cherokee guy, has a couple of Bromptons and loves them.  Has an electric retrofit kit on one.  I never thought to check, can you get them through the luggage door of the Mooney?

Yes, you can get the Bromptons through the luggage door. It is just like getting yourself into the pilots seat ...

• Like 2

I've gotten this Citizen Tokyo bike from my wife and is typically sitting in my hangar. I've used only couple of time in the past but this summer I'll be using it more often flying to work Mon-Fri and using bike to get to my apartment.

it is easy to fold and fits through Mooney baggage door but it is little heavy being made of steel. But price was right and is actually very well made and rides well with 6 speed derailleur. It might be too small for taller person (I'm 6'3") but I found it OK.

I see price went up significantly since my wife bought it (for $179). :o

tokyo_1000px_dark_gray.thumb.jpg.f08f243040a00ace114bc3e79ae327cf.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Igor_U said:

I've gotten this Citizen Tokyo bike from my wife and is typically sitting in my hangar. I've used only couple of time in the past but this summer I'll be using it more often flying to work Mon-Fri and using bike to get to my apartment.

it is easy to fold and fits through Mooney baggage door but it is little heavy being made of steel. But price was right and is actually very well made and rides well with 6 speed derailleur. It might be too small for taller person (I'm 6'3") but I found it OK.

I see price went up significantly since my wife bought it (for $179). :o

That's kinda like my Schwinn Loop, only probably lighter.  ;)

I've mostly used mine to get around on the airport, since it just sits in the hangar most of the time.

Edited by EricJ

On 6/9/2019 at 2:53 PM, takair said:

I have a couple of Montagues and they are great bikes.  I often take at least one in the Mooney.  What I don’t like about it is trying to get it through the pax door.  I always feel like I’m going to take out a window or damage the interior.  Have had a couple of close calls almost dropping the bike on the wing.  They are not the lightest folding bikes out there. The bag is almost a requirement, but the bag they sell is not the best quality.  

The dimensions of the one I'm looking at seem like they might fit through the baggage door or am I crazy?

• Folded Size: 36″x28″x12″

https://www.montaguebikes.com/product/urban/

6 hours ago, revwatch said:

The dimensions of the one I'm looking at seem like they might fit through the baggage door or am I crazy?

I think it’s the wheel size and the 36” folded dimension that prevents it.  I can’t even get the front wheel alone through the hatch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, revwatch said:

I don't think so!!

IIRC, baggage door is 25" tall and my Tokyo barely goes through it with 31x22x14.5" folded size. I think only 16" wheel bikes fit through Mooney's small hatch.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many decades ago we used Honda 50cc Cub motorcycles that were modified/designed to fit in a 182 baggage compartment. They were modified at KSMO and sold all over the country for that use. Wouldn't fit in a Mooney though. 

If there's no Uber I'm not going there at my age.