Do you carry a personal transport device in your Mooney?

231LV

OK...so this is a bit of a crapshoot but I am wondering whether anyone carries a personal transportation device in their Mooney? I know some may carry the fold down bike but even in a folded position, it takes up a lot of cargo space. Other than walking, has anyone tried one of the electric skate boards or electric Unicycle? We carry my wife's electric scooter in the cargo section and it weighs 39 lbs with the battery. I find that trying to keep up with her when we arrive at our destination is tough especially when there is a distance to walk so I'm looking at both options...electric skateboard and electric unicycle. If someone uses either, would you be willing to share your thoughts and the pros and cons?

The electric scooters are okay but limited, especially if there are hills around where you're going.    As always, ymmv.   A bicycle is still the most predictable performance, since the scooters are pretty dependent on the terrain climbing requirements.

I have a fold-up bike, but, yeah, it's kind of a pain.   I also have an electric scooter, and have been looking at the newer ones, but haven't seen anything that really seems effective to me yet.

My longer-term solutions is maybe an A36 and throw actual bicycles or a more reasonable scooter selection in the big doors.

FWIW I am aware of a fire that burned a multi-million dollar new yacht to the waterline. The suspected ignition source?  Lithium Ion batteries in an electric bicycle that the owners kept in an aft locker.   Keep that in mind when making a decision about personal transportation in your Mooney.   

• Like 4

With the seats folded down, the back of the mid and long body moonies have an insane amount of room in them. Usually when i travel somewhere, ill stuff on of my mountain bikes in the back, and its usually pretty simple. When i flew to canada for crankworx, i stuffed 4 full sized mountain bikes in the back of the plane, some camping gear, a matress, and helmets and 2 people. All i have to do was take the wheels off.

I ride a lot for fun so i take my bike practically everywhere i go. It takes me 5 minutes to stuff it in the back.

• Like 2

My son and I frequently take our Boosted Boards on our adventures! They weigh 17 lbs each and fit nicely in the baggage compartment of our Ovation. They are awesome for getting around the North 40 at OSH. They are also great for getting around Manhattan. The bike path along the westside highway is amazing! We have folding bikes also but they are a little more difficult to get into the Ovation. The Boosted boards are easy and so much fun to ride! 

3 hours ago, whiskytango said:

FWIW I am aware of a fire that burned a multi-million dollar new yacht to the waterline. The suspected ignition source?  Lithium Ion batteries in an electric bicycle that the owners kept in an aft locker.   Keep that in mind when making a decision about personal transportation in your Mooney.   

Just don't charge them in the plane. Or unattended in the hangar or home.

I bought a battery operated skateboard for my nephew.  He says it goes over 20mph and will go all day without a charge. The hills around his house are no problem. It’s pretty light weight and has a wireless remote that includes a brake. Of course he only weighs about 60 lbs. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

College campus visit... one sees lots of these... 

https://boostedboards.com/vehicles/all-boards

Expect some talent to be required... the small wheel diameter and large cracks, stones, or other things in the road, may not work so well...

No squishy tires or springy suspension for bump absorbing....

I would love to try one out for size.... but mixing with cars...not for me...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Thanks all...yea....been seeing those electric unicycles speed around town...looks fun but Im likely to break something...the boards are easier and safer to ride and Boosted makes some of the best!

• Like 1

We take two Bromptons with us wherever we go. They also have an attachment that allows a kid to sit in front of you.. two bikes, four people. They weigh 12kg each and leave enough space in the baggage compartment for two small suitcases and a backpack or two...

IMG_7289.thumb.JPG.aa767f101fe0c186d7c75dbb9cd9a205.JPG

IMG_7456.JPG

• Like 5

The bikes are pretty popular but my wife's scooter takes up most of the baggage area (she has MD and requires it for transportation) so I need something that won't take up much room...Uber or Lyft isnt really gonna work for covering long ramp distances or in many locales outside the US where language or non-compatible cell networks exist.

As much as i like anything powered, anything with a lithium battery stays out of the plane unless its a tiny battery such as a 2 or 3 cell. After seeing first hand how they explode when a 6 to 20 cell battery comes in contact with oxygen, its really something i wouldnt want in my aircraft. Nimh battery is fine since they are a lot more stable. Lipo, li ion, and life usually stay out of my car. On old RC colleague had his entire car torch up after a battery lit up.

• Like 1

If I'm going anywhere I can bike to, I'm going somewhere I can walk to.  That said, the OP mentioned his spouse needed the transportation, and I feel his pain.  Mrs. Steingar don't walk none either.  Lots of folding bikes out there, some fold up pretty small too.  Of course, the smaller the bike folds up the more it costs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, steingar said:

If I'm going anywhere I can bike to, I'm going somewhere I can walk to.  That said, the OP mentioned his spouse needed the transportation, and I feel his pain.  Mrs. Steingar don't walk none either.  Lots of folding bikes out there, some fold up pretty small too.  Of course, the smaller the bike folds up the more it costs.

And if you want a stupendously expensive folding bike made exactly to your specifications, I recommend these guys(people, folks?): https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/ Now with electric models and belt drive options.

I have two of these

Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter, 18.6... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KKX4BC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Same as the Bird rental uses if you have that in your city and want to try first.  Very fast, lots of torque, long battery life, conquers hills.  I have only fallen off once so far.  Made a weekend trip to Jekyll Island great.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, M20F said:

I have two of these

Xiaomi Mi Electric Scooter, 18.6... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KKX4BC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Same as the Bird rental uses if you have that in your city and want to try first.  Very fast, lots of torque, long battery life, conquers hills.  I have only fallen off once so far.  Made a weekend trip to Jekyll Island great.  

Those scooters and hover boards have been banned from the dorms at the University where I work, following a dorm fire that burned the building down about 2 or 3 years ago.  Thankfully no one hurt.  

Otherwise those scooters look fantastic.  Maybe the battery safety has improved?

On 5/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, Niko182 said:

Im a big fan of just doing it this way.

20190529_163036.jpg

20190529_163030.jpg

20190529_163028.jpg

Have you ever seen wheel bags and frame bags?  The are nice because the dirt and grease stays in the bags.

Such as

https://www.amazon.com/Topnaca-Mountain-Cycling-Wheel-Nylon/dp/B01M25PD13/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=wheel+bag&qid=1559431028&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

On 6/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, aviatoreb said:

Have you ever seen wheel bags and frame bags?  The are nice because the dirt and grease stays in the bags.

Such as

https://www.amazon.com/Topnaca-Mountain-Cycling-Wheel-Nylon/dp/B01M25PD13/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=wheel+bag&qid=1559431028&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

I just use a couple of contractor bags from Lowes (ya know, the ones that come in a 50-pack for like $25).  They're 3 mil thick and easily hold a 700 cm road bike wheel.  I'm also not very tall so I can put my whole road bike frame in another one if I like.  Only downside is they smell like someone's idea of how a clean garbage bag should smell.

2 hours ago, FlyBoyM20J said:

I just use a couple of contractor bags from Lowes (ya know, the ones that come in a 50-pack for like $25).  They're 3 mil thick and easily hold a 700 cm road bike wheel.  I'm also not very tall so I can put my whole road bike frame in another one if I like.  Only downside is they smell like someone's idea of how a clean garbage bag should smell.

You know what else I’ve used - for Lowe’s shoppers that is - bbq bags are perfect - and cheap