Door handle repair

The roll pin is spring steel which has a phenomenal memory.  I have found the same situation on some old equipment at work.  I found a nail with a larger diameter than the inside hole of the roll pin.  Using a vice I was able to force the nail inside the roll pin, then used a smaller nail to tap out the larger nail.  This opened up the diameter just enough to made it tight enough to hold in place.

3 hours ago, moodychief said:

I have been using a large cotter pin.

When I bought my plane it already had a large cotter pin there as well. It doesn't look as clean as a roll pin, but I don't have to worry about it falling out either. 

Lots of good ideas, thanks.  I'm thinking that the cotter pin idea best fits the Mooney "cheap bastard" model.  Problem is that cotter pins are soft steel, where a roll pin is hardened spring steel.  However, I have my trusty vise grips.

18 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The original owner of our C (We are the second) must have replaced the roll pin with a large head nail of the perfect diameter and cut to length that just rests in place.  It has been there since 1982 when we purchased the plane.

Jim 

The nail must have been from a wood wing Mooney! 

Clarence

• 7 months later...

OK, so here is my prototype new door handle made out of Titanium, yes Ti. (Thanks Mark) He is making me another after I make sure it fits properly. The final one, out of Titanium, will have a groove for the o-ring to keep the 3/16" roll pin in place. Since Ti is heaver than aluminum, I better go on a diet.:D Now it is on to making a set of 40:1 gears, pilot produced of course, for the landing gear. I'm thinking $5000 versus $0 as a no brainer. My buddy can take the existing or old gears in this instance, measure the hardness and make the set. Should be pretty easy and my AP is all for it. He did tell me one of his colleagues said the Cessna Flap actuator is a 40:1 set and are exactly the same. I believe this to be true as I have seen the whole actuator at a boneyard but did not measure the ratio. If I ever get off work early enough, I will swing by and check it out. I will try to find out more information on that subject. Before anyone pipes up and says the gears are not the same hardness and all that crap, just know you will be wrong. If you think that Cessna, Piper, Mooney, etc, who all use these types of gears manufacture their own, you would again be wrong. They are made from the same hardness steel and more than likely, from the same manufacturer or machine shop. These aircraft companies are not going to invest in the machines needed to mass produce the gears. Cheaper to have someone else do it and then gouge our wallets.

Door Handle 3.jpg

Ti Door Handle Mooney M20E.jpg

Hmm, whenever I think about "owner produced" parts I don't care what SGOTIs, or the FAA thinks.  But, I do care what my insurance company might think after a failure is traced to a part made by anyone but the factory (or PMA).

If my factory gears fail and cause a gear-up, and have had Part I and Part II inspections completed and logged, I have NO doubt insurance will pay out.

What happens when their investigation reveals failed "homemade" gears to be the cause?

On 5/27/2019 at 3:55 PM, M20Doc said:

The nail must have been from a wood wing Mooney! 

Clarence

This sounds like the previous CB owner of my F. Also used an old belt to replace the door pull strap. 

Owner Produced Parts are 100% legal if the requirements are met.   I don't know how an insurance company could exclude that unless they have language in the policy saying that they could, which is something you could figure out by reading your policy.   

5 hours ago, G spot said:

How would they know if a part is owner produced?

Logbook entry.  When my first K model had an engine failure, and I made an off-airport landing, the insurance company wanted copies of my logbooks as part of the claim documents.

12 hours ago, G spot said:

How would they know if a part is owner produced?

Logbook entry showing installation and traceability.  Isn't that required when a part is replaced?  Sure, if you want to leave the entry out of the logs entirely...:(

6 hours ago, EricJ said:

Owner Produced Parts are 100% legal if the requirements are met.   I don't know how an insurance company could exclude that unless they have language in the policy saying that they could, which is something you could figure out by reading your policy.   

Ah, and there's the rub, "IF THE REQUIREMENTS ARE MET."  Absent the original Mooney drawings and/or requirements just how do you plan on establishing that the requirements are, in FACT, met?