A new home Rocky Mountain Metro

gsxrpilot

I built some equipment for Ball Aerospace just over the fence. I get up there periodically, I will look you up next time I go there.

There is another Mooneyspacer based there. I can’t remember his name, he had a Rocket but sold it and bought a Cirrus. 

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

Time to make friends with Scott at Arapahoe aero. Don't waste your time with the shops at bjc and eik. Scott's a Mooney guy from back a ways. I'll take Scott's shop over Maxwell any day.

Edited by peevee
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 4:04 PM, gsxrpilot said:

One can't be choosy with hangars. They are rarely available.

The airport owned hangars are about a 10 year wait list. We're due west of the port a ports in the blue hangars but our plane is under contract. If you need an O2 fill or something in a pinch give me a shout. I have a Mooney adapter around here somewhere. If you don't have your own, suggest purchasing a fill setup. Signature wants more every time. I'm not sure if sheltair does o2

Edited by peevee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, peevee said:

The airport owned hangars are about a 10 year wait list. We're due west of the port a ports in the blue hangars but our plane is under contract. If you need an O2 fill or something in a pinch give me a shout. I have a Mooney adapter around here somewhere. If you don't have your own, suggest purchasing a fill setup. Signature wants more every time. I'm not sure if sheltair does o2

Thanks! I'll have to look for you out there.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:45 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Hey, I'm trying to get in on the same course. We might be in class together.

...and join the Association itself. Colorado has a vibrant aviation community. I miss my friends from there even more than flying those beautiful mountains.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Thanks! I'll have to look for you out there.

I don't really hang around the airport. 

Hope your hangar faces anything but west. Ours is a bitch in the winter.

The class is good, a bit basic. I'm sure bill Dunn is still teaching it.

Edited by peevee

On another note, and I'm almost embarrassed to ask as I'm pretty lucky to have a hangar.

But I'm planning to have a concrete floor poured in the hangar on Friday the 7th of June. And I'd like to find a place to put a couple of tugs and a couple of cabinets just over the weekend while the floor sets up.  If any of you at BJC have a corner in your hangar that I might use for a couple of days, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Hey Paul--

Thanks for all your help. You set me on the path to becoming and educated Mooney buyer. I was sad to hear you were leaving the area but I hope it's all good for you. I was looking forward to flying my Mooney over to Smithville to show it to you when I get it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ReconMax said:

Hey Paul--

Thanks for all your help. You set me on the path to becoming and educated Mooney buyer. I was sad to hear you were leaving the area but I hope it's all good for you. I was looking forward to flying my Mooney over to Smithville to show it to you when I get it.

Hey, that's great! And I'll be back in Smithville on a semi-regular basis. I'll take my Mooney to JD for the annual in August and then my in-laws live in Smithville as well, so we'll be back to visit. But one of the important things to do when you own a Mooney is to join the Mooney Caravan and fly it to Oshkosh with us!

Looking forward to catching up.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 7:31 PM, peevee said:

Time to make friends with Scott at Arapahoe aero. Don't waste your time with the shops at bjc and eik. Scott's a Mooney guy from back a ways. I'll take Scott's shop over Maxwell any day.

+1. Scott Utz at Arapahoe Aero is your best Mooney friend. 

• Thanks 1

Steve here, you were kind enough to post my mooney partnership sale on Facebook in Austin a few weeks back.  She is under contract and will be gently passed along to the next lucky guy, pending meeting with the partners.  Thanks again for jumping in and offering a hand.  I will be at KBJC the week of June 10th to pick up my mooney with its new MT 4 blade propeller - if the spinner ships from Germany as promised.  Would like to say hi if our paths cross.  As a civil/structural engineer, i have a bit of experience with concrete if you need a hand with the new hangar slab.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SWL said:

Steve here, you were kind enough to post my mooney partnership sale on Facebook in Austin a few weeks back.  She is under contract and will be gently passed along to the next lucky guy, pending meeting with the partners.  Thanks again for jumping in and offering a hand.  I will be at KBJC the week of June 10th to pick up my mooney with its new MT 4 blade propeller - if the spinner ships from Germany as promised.  Would like to say hi if our paths cross.  As a civil/structural engineer, i have a bit of experience with concrete if you need a hand with the new hangar slab.

Hey, great news. And let me know when you're in town. It would be great to meet you and see the new Mooney.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:48 AM, gsxrpilot said:

It's a "portable" hangar. It's meant to be unfolded, set up, and staked down. Of course this one has been staked down in this spot for more than 20 years, and probably closer to 40 years.

One of my first improvements will be to pour a proper concrete floor. It's just the original asphalt or bitumen as you might call it. The ramp has been resurfaced many times, but not inside the hangar. And the floor is in pretty poor shape.

This particular model, was designed to hold a King Air. So it's a bit oversized for the Mooney, but I won't complain.

Looks like room for additional toys. I am jealous. My hangar is not nearly so roomy and sometimes the Mooney has to share space with as many as three ground based vehicles and a bicycle.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 11:02 AM, gsxrpilot said:

On another note, and I'm almost embarrassed to ask as I'm pretty lucky to have a hangar.

But I'm planning to have a concrete floor poured in the hangar on Friday the 7th of June. And I'd like to find a place to put a couple of tugs and a couple of cabinets just over the weekend while the floor sets up.  If any of you at BJC have a corner in your hangar that I might use for a couple of days, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

I probably can, depending on how the ppi goes on our plane. I'll know by mid to late next week

Edited by peevee

8 hours ago, SWL said:

Steve- not to hijack the thread, but maybe could you post an 'after action report' (new thread) on being in a Mooney partnership? Good, bad, ugly, etc? I'm thinking of going the partner route for a couple of reasons- mainly to save money, get a nicer plane for the price, and to keep the plane flying more throughout the year.

Thanks!

Roy

On 5/31/2019 at 3:30 PM, Stetson20 said:

Steve- not to hijack the thread, but maybe could you post an 'after action report' (new thread) on being in a Mooney partnership? Good, bad, ugly, etc? I'm thinking of going the partner route for a couple of reasons- mainly to save money, get a nicer plane for the price, and to keep the plane flying more throughout the year.

Thanks!

Roy

Can do Roy. I haven't looked to see if mooneyspace has similar posts already.  If not I can pen a few thoughts.

Here are a few bullet points that might kick-start a separate thread...

1.  Buy the plane, then pick the partners.

2.  When buying into an existing partnership, 80% of the decision should be based on partner compatibility, 20% on the bird.

3.  The value proposition is simple: for 4 partners who fly 100-150 hrs per year each, each pays 25% of the capital and maintenance cost for 80 - 90% of the "available" access.  The metrics tend to improve over time in long-term partnerships due to life changes that tend to reduce flying time.

If my current flying time and missions were still partner compatable, I wouldn't be selling - of that I am certain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 5:41 AM, SWL said:

I walked by and saw your Rocket with the four blade prop, in the shop yesterday. Let me know when you're around the airport this week. I'll come over.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:24 PM, SWL said:

1.  Buy the plane, then pick the partners.

Not a deal killer by any means.  But for what it's worth, this would turn me off on a prospective partnership, and would likely have caused me not to join the very successful partnership I've been part of the last 15 years.  People who buy the airplane first and only then cast about for partners are communicating they want things "their way" right from the start.  Choosing the partners first and then acquiring the aircraft communicates that all the partners are willing and able to discuss and compromise on big choices.

This isn't to say that if you have your heart set on a Mooney, you have to entertain some other brand.  But if you're highly fixated on a particular model, and especially if you're inclined to buy a specific airplane first before consulting your prospective partners, sole ownership is probably a better route for you.