A new home Rocky Mountain Metro

gsxrpilot

The Mooney has been relocated to her new home in the Denver area. I'm very fortunate to have found a hangar at BJC. It's a Porta-Port T hangar that's designed to hold a King Air. Needless to say, I don't have to watch the wingtips, pushing her into the hangar.

IMG_3103.thumb.jpg.8a57f69018f6a27bc70df418851113d2.jpg

I'd hoped to leave early on Saturday and fly straight through from Austin to Denver. But there were a few little things we were trying to sort out on the plane before leaving SWTA, JD and his crew. I also wanted to update my Avidyne IFD540 to the latest software version. So after all that stuff, I didn't actually get away until about 3:30pm. By that time, the usual line of storms had formed right across my path. I've always believed the best weather backup I have with my Mooney is speed, altitude and range. So while a couple of other friends canceled a flight to Denver in a Sundowner, (Beech Cherokee), I went ahead and launched. 

This isn't a perfect depiction of the weather at the time I was crossing those storms. And I actually couldn't see the gap through them due to haze, an overcast, and multiple layers. But a combination of ATC, and ADS-B weather on the IFD540 and ForeFlight gave me confidence to venture through. I was at FL220 and could see the ground the whole time.

361817437_ScreenShot2019-05-26at8_30_58AM.thumb.png.1da8b60a013838ab1091c218c085421d.png

Here's the IFD540 as I'm most of the way through the gap.

IMG_3094.thumb.jpg.cd10bc1f708afee9d655ef64daec4a9d.jpg

Just a word about the IFD540 and the new 10.2.3.1 software update. I did the update myself and it went through perfectly. On the long list of new features is better integration with ForeFlight. I like using ForeFlight for logging, and filing flight plans. I also just like the interface. I also really like having traffic and weather displayed on the iPad. It's a large screen and the pinch/zoom is nice as well. Previously the IFD540 would "talk" to ForeFlight but only for transfer of flight plans. With the new update, it also shares all ADS-B data with ForeFlight as well. The weather depiction is amazing and no need for a Stratus to keep charged or stuck to the window. It also now depicts Cloud Tops. On ForeFlight, just choose your altitude with a slider and see any clouds in your path that reach higher. Similarly there is an Icing depiction. As I was descending into Raton for fuel, right at 16,000 there was a little patch of clouds directly in my path. The temperature was -1C. It was a small cloud, but I thought I probably should ask for a deviation instead of going through it. After getting the deviation approved, I brought up the Icing depiction on ForeFlight. Sure enough, moving the slider to 16,000 ft brought up a blue patch of ice right in my path. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the 10.2.3.1 upgrade. No stratus and yet I had full ADS-B traffic and weather shared from the panel to ForeFlight on my iPad.

There was a minor hiccup with the upgrade. It wipes out a number of settings. I took pictures of all the settings pages with my phone before starting the upgrade and good thing I did. One of the pages it wiped out was the transponder configuration page. As I took off, IFR out of Smithville, ATC asked me to reset my transponder. Thats when I noticed it was indicating standby so I pushed Alt, and it immediately reverted to Standby. I canceled IFR and fussed around with it and then headed back to Smithville. On the ground I was able to boot into maintenance mode and find the transponder page. It was all blank. So copying the picture on my phone, I input all the parameters for the remote transponder. That solved it and I took off again, this time everything working.

I'm having one other issue with the Mooney, but that will be another post.

Speaking of speed and range, here's the obligatory picture of going FAST while just sipping the GAS.

IMG_3092.thumb.jpg.194029645f90868f352148e5855ffcbe.jpg

The KFC150 is holding altitude as best it can in some light turbulence.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

It's a "portable" hangar. It's meant to be unfolded, set up, and staked down. Of course this one has been staked down in this spot for more than 20 years, and probably closer to 40 years.

One of my first improvements will be to pour a proper concrete floor. It's just the original asphalt or bitumen as you might call it. The ramp has been resurfaced many times, but not inside the hangar. And the floor is in pretty poor shape.

This particular model, was designed to hold a King Air. So it's a bit oversized for the Mooney, but I won't complain.

• Like 1

It's a "portable" hangar. It's meant to be unfolded, set up, and staked down. Of course this one has been staked down in this spot for more than 20 years, and probably closer to 40 years.
One of my first improvements will be to pour a proper concrete floor. It's just the original asphalt or bitumen as you might call it. The ramp has been resurfaced many times, but not inside the hangar. And the floor is in pretty poor shape.
This particular model, was designed to hold a King Air. So it's a bit oversized for the Mooney, but I won't complain.

Why is your JPI missing fuel data? It has fuel flow, but looks like it’s missing GPS data?

Tom

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

The Mooney has been relocated to her new home in the Denver area. I'm very fortunate to have found a hangar at BJC. It's a Porta-Port T hangar that's designed to hold a King Air. Needless to say, I don't have to watch the wingtips, pushing her into the hangar.

Just a larger version of my hangar.

Edited by KLRDMD

1 hour ago, ArtVandelay said:

Why is your JPI missing fuel data? It has fuel flow, but looks like it’s missing GPS data?

Yes, that's the one issue I was having on the flight up here. I think the fuel transducer is going out. On the ground it reads correctly, but then in flight at low altitudes it goes to zero or even a red X over the fuel flow. Then oddly enough, above 13K ft. it comes back and works just fine. But by then the JPI realizes that it doesn't have a good starting point and can't give a fuel to destination. On the descent through 13K, it blanks out again.

So if anyone wants to recommend a good Mooney shop in the Denver area, I think I need a new fuel transducer.

1 hour ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

So, gsxrpilot, have you relocated to the Denver area as well?

Yes we have. I've always wanted to live in Colorado, and finally in a weak moment, my Texas wife agreed to a move to Denver. We bought a house in the Sloans Lake neighborhood and have moved in... Well mostly moved in. I have to go back to Austin and drive the car, my wife, and the dog to Denver next weekend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

This isn't a perfect depiction of the weather at the time I was crossing those storms. And I actually couldn't see the gap through them due to haze, an overcast, and multiple layers. But a combination of ATC, and ADS-B weather on the IFD540 and ForeFlight gave me confidence to venture through. I was at FL220 and could see the ground the whole time.

361817437_ScreenShot2019-05-26at8_30_58AM.thumb.png.1da8b60a013838ab1091c218c085421d.png

Here's the IFD540 as I'm most of the way through the gap.

IMG_3094.thumb.jpg.cd10bc1f708afee9d655ef64daec4a9d.jpg

Just a word about the IFD540 and the new 10.2.3.1 software update. I did the update myself and it went through perfectly. On the long list of new features is better integration with ForeFlight. I like using ForeFlight for logging, and filing flight plans. I also just like the interface. I also really like having traffic and weather displayed on the iPad. It's a large screen and the pinch/zoom is nice as well. Previously the IFD540 would "talk" to ForeFlight but only for transfer of flight plans. With the new update, it also shares all ADS-B data with ForeFlight as well. The weather depiction is amazing and no need for a Stratus to keep charged or stuck to the window. It also now depicts Cloud Tops. On ForeFlight, just choose your altitude with a slider and see any clouds in your path that reach higher. Similarly there is an Icing depiction. As I was descending into Raton for fuel, right at 16,000 there was a little patch of clouds directly in my path. The temperature was -1C. It was a small cloud, but I thought I probably should ask for a deviation instead of going through it. After getting the deviation approved, I brought up the Icing depiction on ForeFlight. Sure enough, moving the slider to 16,000 ft brought up a blue patch of ice right in my path. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the 10.2.3.1 upgrade. No stratus and yet I had full ADS-B traffic and weather shared from the panel to ForeFlight on my iPad.

Paul, IMNSHO that otherwise well equipped 252 needs a Stormscope.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Paul, IMNSHO that otherwise well equipped 252 needs a Stormscope.

You are most likely correct. An WX-500 in the tail would display nicely on the IFD540 or the soon to be installed Aspen MFD. I just need to find a good deal on one. I've not paid retail for anything in this 252 and can't start now :D

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

You are most likely correct. An WX-500 in the tail would display nicely on the IFD540 or the soon to be installed Aspen MFD. I just need to find a good deal on one. I've not paid retail for anything in this 252 and can't start now :D

Don Valentine @ 972 495-3284 or sales@stormscopes.com is who you need to talk to.  I traded in my WX950 (and a little cash) for a serviceable WX500 an was able to keep whatever components crossed over between the two.  Love now that my stormscope shows on the MFD and navigator right next to my ADS-B weather.

16 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Don Valentine @ 972 495-3284 or sales@stormscopes.com is who you need to talk to.  I traded in my WX950 (and a little cash) for a serviceable WX500 an was able to keep whatever components crossed over between the two.  Love now that my stormscope shows on the MFD and navigator right next to my ADS-B weather.

How much have these devices changed over the years? I have a 20-plus-year-old WX1000 that I don't want to give up, but I'd love to lose the display. If I could keep the huge belly antenna and associated wiring but swap out the heads for some reasonable price, that would be fantastic. 

[Sorry for piling on the thread drift.]

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yes we have. I've always wanted to live in Colorado, and finally in a weak moment, my Texas wife agreed to a move to Denver. We bought a house in the Sloans Lake neighborhood and have moved in... Well mostly moved in. I have to go back to Austin and drive the car, my wife, and the dog to Denver next weekend.

Welcome! I recently left and moved back to the Bay Area. 

Arapahoe Aero down at KAPA worked on my Mooneys and were outstanding. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, toto said:

How much have these devices changed over the years? I have a 20-plus-year-old WX1000 that I don't want to give up, but I'd love to lose the display. If I could keep the huge belly antenna and associated wiring but swap out the heads for some reasonable price, that would be fantastic. 

I have an old WX900 with its dedicated display. When things get interesting I can change range and clear the past data. I hesitate to going 500 due to the clutter factor, plus I don't need the panel space. But I have not flown with a 500 displaying on the GTN, Aspen and Ipad so I might well be wrong.

IMG_20160519_143650677.jpg

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Yes, that's the one issue I was having on the flight up here. I think the fuel transducer is going out. On the ground it reads correctly, but then in flight at low altitudes it goes to zero or even a red X over the fuel flow. Then oddly enough, above 13K ft. it comes back and works just fine. But by then the JPI realizes that it doesn't have a good starting point and can't give a fuel to destination. On the descent through 13K, it blanks out again.

So if anyone wants to recommend a good Mooney shop in the Denver area, I think I need a new fuel transducer.

I had the same thing happen to me- the fuel flow would go to 0 at altitude, but work ok on the ground.  I cleaned the connections and even went as far as to cut, strip and re-solder the wires to the transducer.. but it was still intermittent.  Eventually it stopped working all together.  Replaced it with a new “red cube” and it’s been rock solid ever since.

sounds like you’re seeing the same thing- but it might be worth looking at your transducer, and if it has those little red connectors on it, start by spraying those things out with some contact cleaner.  I’m willing to bet that your transducer is giving up the ghost, though.

Edited by M016576

14 minutes ago, M016576 said:

I had the same thing happen to me- the fuel flow would go to 0 at altitude, but work ok on the ground.  I cleaned the connections and even went as far as to cut, strip and re-solder the wires to the transducer.. but it was still intermittent.  Eventually it stopped working all together.  Replaced it with a new “red cube” and it’s been rock solid ever since.

sounds like you’re seeing the same thing- but it might be worth looking at your transducer, and if it has those little red connectors on it, start by spraying those things out with some contact cleaner.  I’m willing to bet that your transducer is giving up the ghost, though.

I'm not familiar with the red cube?

We went through all the contacts and cleaned, reset pins, etc. So I'm confident in the connections. It's got to be the transducer failing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

KBJC is home to the Colorado Pilots Associations mountain flying training course.  God willing and the creek don't rise, I'll be attending the mid-June session.  Congrats on finding a hangar so quickly.

Hey, I'm trying to get in on the same course. We might be in class together.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, toto said:

That is what Valentine did for me.  He told me what I could keep (antenna, some wiring) and sent me what I needed with paperwork for install.  He also offered me a very fair price for my existing working scope.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on getting most of the move squared away...

I saw a good example of what can be done with extra hangar space recently...

Small plane tails really go right into the corner... leaving extra room for a spare Corvette...

If your area of Colorado has natural hot water coming up from deep in the earth’s crust... this may be a great opportunity for piping the new floor with some natural heat...

Thinking way outside the Mooney box... not my area of expertise at all... :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I have an old WX900 with its dedicated display. When things get interesting I can change range and clear the past data. I hesitate to going 500 due to the clutter factor, plus I don't need the panel space. But I have not flown with a 500 displaying on the GTN, Aspen and Ipad so I might well be wrong.

I, too, have the GTN 750 and you can change range and clear data on the WX-500.  You might be able to keep your antenna already installed - I was able to.

• Like 1