O-360-A1D Oil temp

What is everyone seeing for oil temp? This was Today 10 minutes of running on the ground on a hot florida day 96°F. The oil temp never made it to the red but it sure looks higher than normal. I feel like this is normal but would like to get some input from you guys.

Thank you all in advance.

6029dc59a320916caa81eab9041e3824.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take a good note of it...

Expect that to be the normal for a hot day...

Our cooling capacity of the oil cooler is heavily dependent on the speed of air that flows through it, and the temperature of that air that is flowing through...

A hot day, on the ground, is going to show a hotter oilT than usual... but staying in the green...

Did everything turn out normal during the flight?  More airflow at 150kias....

PP thoughts only,

-a-

Take a good note of it...
Expect that to be the normal for a hot day...
Our cooling capacity of the oil cooler is heavily dependent on the speed of air that flows through it, and the temperature of that air that is flowing through...
A hot day, on the ground, is going to show a hotter oilT than usual... but staying in the green...
Did everything turn out normal during the flight?  More airflow at 150kias....
PP thoughts only,
-a-

Thank you much for the information. Unfortunately i’m not able to fly the airplane yet i’ve been slowly putting it back together after the previous owner took it apart, it been a slow project. I can only work on it on Saturdays so after i do everything i can before the sun goes to sleep i like to run it for at least 10 minutes to make sure everything gets lubricated and check the function of all the avionics and systems.Today was a very hot day and the oil temperature definitely caught my attention. Hopefully i will have it ready for a ferry flight here soon i will definitely keep an eye on that temp.

• Like 1

The gauge looks to be about 3/4 of the way between 100 and 245. Assuming the gauge is linear that would be 208F which is a little high but not way high. However, the oil pressure is low. Maybe it's the instrumentation, but I would have it checked. Check the oil level first. I've noticed Lycoming 360s will show an oil pressure decrease and oil temperature increase when the oil quantity is 4 qts or less. Oil is part of the cooling system. 

Skip

It easy to remove the oil temperature probe from the engine, reconnect the wires and place it in a can of boiling water to verify at least that point.  If you have a thermometer you can check other points as well.

Clarence

what was engine rpm at the time of pic? Low rpm, low oil pressure, obviously. Try your run ups with the wind behind you. You should get more cooling that way. What were cht temps at the time? I wouldnt be overly concerned until such time as you've had a chance to test it over the airport. Make sure your baffles seal well. Rtv is your friend with that dog house.

Edited by Pete M

The gauge looks to be about 3/4 of the way between 100 and 245. Assuming the gauge is linear that would be 208F which is a little high but not way high. However, the oil pressure is low. Maybe it's the instrumentation, but I would have it checked. Check the oil level first. I've noticed Lycoming 360s will show an oil pressure decrease and oil temperature increase when the oil quantity is 4 qts or less. Oil is part of the cooling system. 
Skip

Thank you for the input sir.. Oil quantity it’s at 8 quarts. Last night i was thinking about teeing a calibrated gauge to see if the pressure gauge is reading erroneous. might be a good start.

It easy to remove the oil temperature probe from the engine, reconnect the wires and place it in a can of boiling water to verify at least that point.  If you have a thermometer you can check other points as well.
Clarence

i will give this a shot. Thank you very much.

what was engine rpm at the time of pic? Low rpm, low oil pressure, obviously. Try your run ups with the wind behind you. You should get more cooling that way. What were cht temps at the time? I wouldnt be overly concerned until such time as you've had a chance to test it over the airport. Make sure your baffles seal well. Rtv is your friend with that dog house.

RPM were about 1200. I did run it facing the wind didn’t know i would get more cooling with a tail wind i will try that next time as well. CHT where about 250-300. I did see some light with the cowling removed and looking from the front of the engine i will take care of those small openings...

Thank you much for all the good info.

16 hours ago, siu1526 said:

What is everyone seeing for oil temp? This was Today 10 minutes of running on the ground on a hot florida day 96°F. The oil temp never made it to the red but it sure looks higher than normal. I feel like this is normal but would like to get some input from you guys.

The  pilot himself overheating on the ground in these conditions is perhaps the greater risk ;). That indicated temp is quite a bit hotter than I typically see on a hot day on the ground after a cold start. Managing CHTs for long ground runs before takeoff in the summer tend to be problematic for me, but not oil temps.  However, oil temp in the air may be more informative of the health of your system. As a sweeping generalization, these are the oil temps my C model sees on a digital gauge:

Temp range in climb                 Temp range in cruise

Hottest summer day                     200-210                                         190-200

Coldest winter day                        180-190                                          ~180

The vernatherm valve that bypasses flow through the oil cooler at <185 F oil temps does a good job keeping oil from running too cold to deplete moisture and preventing high pressures from cold viscous oil from damaging the cooler.  When oil temps run too hot, the function of this valve is a good place to look after validating accuracy of the gauge.

Edited by DXB
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Pete M said:

I was always taught to do runups into the wind.  how would you get better cooling with the wind coming from behind you?

9 hours ago, siu1526 said:

Thank you for the input sir.. Oil quantity it’s at 8 quarts. Last night i was thinking about teeing a calibrated gauge to see if the pressure gauge is reading erroneous. might be a good start.

Adding a TEE and an additional gauge to the line to verify the ship reading is easy.  Here are the ranges from the manual.

Clarence

619B706B-4B90-4756-9100-7D3EE11DFCE3.png

I posted this in a thread I started the other day... yours doesn’t look much different than mine... but I’m taking forum advice... talking to avionics shop about an engine monitor next week

B7D84ACA-6B39-4351-A58E-189249FD0161.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well i finally got a chance to mess with the airplane yesterday. Got the oil pressure back to normal by replacing the spring and ball inside the oil pressure regulator. Check all oil hoses for clogs and found nothing, removed the thermostatic bypass valve and clean it, there was some carbon inside it but not much.Functionally checked the valve by putting it in boiling water and it worked like it supposed to. Clean it really good again to get rid of all the water and re installed. Did a leak check. Ran the engine @ 2000 RPM did all checks to get the oil flowing and then i let it run at 1000 RPM for 20 minutes and i was really please with the result. Here’s some pictures. Hope this helps someone now or in the future.

6850d4fb161629c3b9178ecff5f11c00.jpg

New spring on the left.

3512f40e0ed3d6999e36fb0612090304.jpg

New ball on the right

75c61d900c2c208e2a14737ebbde3938.jpg

e93b12302ac4737098707664f47854e8.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys here another update on the high poly temperature. I was losing sleep over this.. I finally flew the airplane for an hour and during climb out it was just below the red. Went up to 4000 FT throttle back to 24 24 and let the airspeed increase, after a few minutes the oil temp slowly started to creep down to the green but it was still hot. I landed taxi back to the hanger and went home all frustrated.. Next day i went a bought a new thermostatic got it installed and ran the airplane on the ground for about 20 minutes, sure enough temperature started to creep up i shut it down as soon as it hit the max range of the green ark.. Did more research and everything was pointing to a partially clogged up oil cooler so i removed the hoses and verify they weren’t clogged nothing found there, did the same with the oil cooler, nothing wrong there. Out of ideas i decided to remove the oil filter adapter and make sure nothing was clogged there, everything looked good but i remember i still had the original oil screen and housing and decided to install it and see what happen. Well to my surprise that seems to have fix my over heating issue! Now i only try this on the ground but i had the engine running for over 30 minutes, decided to give my dad a tour of the airport so i was taxing all over there airport. I will give an update on how it behaves in the air.. Has anyone had a similar issue to the above mention? I’ve seen lots of post on mooney space about high oil temperature, just wondering if those you’d are running filter adapter or screen. d10ee21bc4ac3801baea893ece8caef6.jpgfab2571bf9d639c7f26d8ddd55a094c0.jpg right after shut down

e1a2e8257b7be285ca2f455b479c7fc1.jpg08ac4ed7359fad3a6e231642c280763e.jpg6b9472948764339831a83279352d61ab.jpg

24/2400 is high power for our C models. Advise running so that MP + RPM/1000 = 47 or less rather than the 48 you are doing. Higher power naturally means higher temperatures. At 4000 msl, I generally use either 23/2300 or 22/2400.

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

24/2400 is ~65% power.  That’s not high anything.  

Maybe for your J. In my and the OP's  C models at 5000 msl, 24/2400 is 80% power. At lower altitudes, it is of course a higher percentage. Thus my recommendation to not run there.

365661976_Power5000.thumb.jpg.f054d64019a187818165928a0816bb7b.jpg

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Maybe for your J. In my and the OP's  C models at 5000 msl, 24/2400 is 80% power. At lower altitudes, it is of course a higher percentage. Thus my recommendation to not run there.

??  How the heck can that be?  at 24/2400, ANY motor that produces 100% power at 30/2700 makes at most 71% power (and with less volumetric efficiency, probably less).  How??? :blink:

5 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

??  How the heck can that be?  at 24/2400, ANY motor that produces 100% power at 30/2700 makes at most 71% power (and with less volumetric efficiency, probably less).  How??? :blink:

Must be altitude. On the 5000 msl chart above, WOT = 24.5"; at 2700 that's only 89% rated power.

Ah, a check of the Sea Level page shows WOT = 28" and 2700 give 99.5% power. You started at 30", ignoring intake losses.

Edited by Hank

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Must be altitude. On the 5000 msl chart above, WOT = 24.5"; at 2700 that's only 89% rated power.

Ah, a check of the Sea Level page shows WOT = 28" and 2700 give 99.5% power. You started at 30", ignoring intake losses.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! :rolleyes:

That makes sense now that I think about it, since the ram air gives you extra MP but doesn't do squat in a J

Edited by jaylw314

7 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! :rolleyes:

That makes sense now that I think about it, since the ram air gives you extra MP but doesn't do squat in a J

Cs don't have ram air, just a convoluted intake going to the carburetor.