Requirement for Special “Ferry” Flight Permit

I am looking for clarification concerning the requirements to obtain a special flight permit.

I bought a plane that is less than 100 miles away that is:

1. Out of annual “by less than 30 days”

2. The previous owner allowed the registration to lapse by 5 months.

I have made application for new registration and have submitted the required documentation to transfer ownership.

Can I make application for a special flight permit to move the plane since the previous owner allowed the registration to lapse using my completed and submitted FAA 8050-1 and 8050-2 forms?

Thanks, Frank

As long as the n number is still assigned to the aircraft your pink slip is good for the registration. It will be no problem to get a special flight permit to move the airplane, and you only need an A&P to sign the logs for the flight.

• Thanks 1

One of the rules for ferry flight is (or used to be) that all ADs were complied with.  

Easiest to just call your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) and find out for sure.  Despite the horror stories, they really are helpful.  Providing guidance like this is in their job description. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, N231BN said:

As long as the n number is still assigned to the aircraft your pink slip is good for the registration. It will be no problem to get a special flight permit to move the airplane, and you only need an A&P to sign the logs for the flight.

I would disagree - I accidentally let a registration lapse, and you have no legal standing.  Can't renew / sell or anything, until you re-register.   Part of that reregistration process, is the FAA will check that your registration has not been given to someone else.  

Aerodon

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hank said:

It can't hurt to call the FSDO and ask. But first, find an IA (who needs to endorse the logbook for the ferry flight) and see what he thinks about it.

Does it have to be an IA?  I thought an A&P can sign a ferry permit?

19 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Does it have to be an IA?  I thought an A&P can sign a ferry permit?

It's one or the other, I've only needed one and had an IA sign off. Small fields often have limited choices, but I was happy. 

I would disagree - I accidentally let a registration lapse, and you have no legal standing.  Can't renew / sell or anything, until you re-register.   Part of that reregistration process, is the FAA will check that your registration has not been given to someone else.  
Aerodon
I didn't catch the five months part, since the registration has been expired for more than 90 days the n number is unavailable for 5 years.

11 hours ago, N231BN said:

I didn't catch the five months part, since the registration has been expired for more than 90 days the n number is unavailable for 5 years.

I actually did call OK on this one and the N number, is reserved for this plane for 5 years, meaning that you have up to 5 years to reregister the plane before someone else can get your N number. 

I also found an AOPA article that says that if a plane changes ownership, even if the registration is expired, that the 8050-1 is a valid registration. However, should you allow your registration to lapse, and the plane doesn’t change ownership, then the 8050-1 is not a valid temporary registration.

https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2016/may/31/faa-aircraft-registration

Thanks, Frank

I actually did call OK on this one and the N number, is reserved for this plane for 5 years, meaning that you have up to 5 years to reregister the plane before someone else can get your N number. 
I also found an AOPA article that says that if a plane changes ownership, even if the registration is expired, that the 8050-1 is a valid registration. However, should you allow your registration to lapse, and the plane doesn’t change ownership, then the 8050-1 is not a valid temporary registration.
https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2016/may/31/faa-aircraft-registration

Thanks, Frank
That sounds right. A customer of mine allowed his to expire(moved several times). Since OKC was backed up a couple months he called the FSDO to see what he could do. They suggested he sell the airplane to his wife and fly on the pink slip.

He ended up calling someone in OKC and got it sorted out in a couple weeks.
  • Thanks 1