Engine Temps ok here?

You want to fly it more... fuel is building up in the tanks.... :)

The given data looks good, but limited...

Look for an engine monitor to get more detail...  really helpful if the data starts to go bad...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

i installed a 4-cyl EGT CHT over the winter.  I was surprised that #3 on the factory CHT is quite a bit higher than #3 on the new gauge.  It was expected that the #3 gasket probe (under the factory bayonet) reads cooler than the bayonet probes on the other three cylinders.  But the factory CHT is warmer than any readings on the new gauge.  As much as 50 or more degrees warmer.

Tom

An engine monitor will pay for itself in about 1 to 2 years depending if you get a primary or secondary. An 830 or 900 would be a smart choice. Especially if you can install the majority of it yourself.

7 hours ago, 47U said:

i installed a 4-cyl EGT CHT over the winter.  I was surprised that #3 on the factory CHT is quite a bit higher than #3 on the new gauge.  It was expected that the #3 gasket probe (under the factory bayonet) reads cooler than the bayonet probes on the other three cylinders.  But the factory CHT is warmer than any readings on the new gauge.  As much as 50 or more degrees warmer.

Tom

WOW... interesting... I was planning on having one installed next annual...

Just to echo what everyone else is saying... with the gauges you have, you really don't know what your temperatures are. Therefore to protect your engine/investment, you need to leave yourself a pretty wide margin by running at lower power settings, planning shorter legs, gentler climbs, etc. Our ability to monitor engine parameters has come a long way since 1965.

Things to think about when buying an engine monitor. 

• Certified Primary is good as you're not competing between required factory gauges that are typically wrong, and new accurate gauges that can't be certified. Even if you just get an engine monitor for EGT/CHT's, get one that is Primary for those functions so the factory CHT gauge can be removed.
  • Data logging is paramount. Being able to upload data to the free SavvyAnalysis site will save countless hours/dollars in troubleshooting. 
  • Ease of use and readability ensures you'll use it more, which will lead to better engine management, and early warning of issues.
  • Including fuel flow or even fuel gauges can allow you to make better use of your traveling Mooney by safely increasing the range significantly.

There are three engine monitors that I believe meet these requirements. In order from cheap too expensive.

1. Insight G2 - Primary for EGT/CHT, the easiest data logging of any engine monitor, full color screen, easy to use fuel flow function, additional features such as carb temp.
  2. EDM 900 - Primary for all engine gauges, good data logging, full color screen, includes both fuel flow as well as gauges. Pair with CiES digital senders for max benefit.
  3. EI MVP-50 - Top of the line, all options, fully configurable, large screen.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Niko182 said:

An engine monitor will pay for itself in about 1 to 2 years depending if you get a primary or secondary.

I am still waiting for mine to pay me.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MIR2018 said:

First time flying my new to me Mooney in summer temperatures.   These were my gauges at 3000’ cowl flaps closed full rich 21.5MP 2400 RPM... OAT about 85f... comments?

EC0E9D33-1863-459B-8CD0-8B3B05E21719.thumb.jpeg.e696ae947a8b1c27daf00026b21a05a9.jpeg

I wouldn’t look to any of those gauges for precise information but taking the numbers at face value:

Oil pressure is in the green but 62psi is about where my F runs during taxi. IIRC I’m just a hair north of 75psi in cruise.

oil temp of 190 is a good temp and gives you good margin in either direction for different weather/operational needs.

CHT of 350 (maybe more) is quite a bit more then I’d like to see at such a modest power setting. I would have to deliberately try to attain a CHT of 360 in level flight. That number is closer to what I see on my hottest CHT during a leaned climb. If I get to 360 in climb I usually enriched to arrest a further increase in temps.

Edit: I misunderstood and thought this was an injected model. Being  that you’re in a C model, the CHTs may be closer to the norm for thatenggine configuration..

Don’t misunderstand, everything is within the manufacturer’s approved range for continuous operation, it just appears that oil pressure and CHT are not optimal. I’d be curious to see where your oil pressure is during ground ops with a warm engine.  

Edited by Shadrach

Just to echo what everyone else is saying... with the gauges you have, you really don't know what your temperatures are. Therefore to protect your engine/investment, you need to leave yourself a pretty wide margin by running at lower power settings, planning shorter legs, gentler climbs, etc. Our ability to monitor engine parameters has come a long way since 1965.

Things to think about when buying an engine monitor. 

• Certified Primary is good as you're not competing between required factory gauges that are typically wrong, and new accurate gauges that can't be certified. Even if you just get an engine monitor for EGT/CHT's, get one that is Primary for those functions so the factory CHT gauge can be removed.
  • Data logging is paramount. Being able to upload data to the free SavvyAnalysis site will save countless hours/dollars in troubleshooting. 
  • Ease of use and readability ensures you'll use it more, which will lead to better engine management, and early warning of issues.
  • Including fuel flow or even fuel gauges can allow you to make better use of your traveling Mooney by safely increasing the range significantly.
There are three engine monitors that I believe meet these requirements. In order from cheap too expensive.

1. Insight G2 - Primary for EGT/CHT, the easiest data logging of any engine monitor, full color screen, easy to use fuel flow function, additional features such as carb temp.
  2. EDM 900 - Primary for all engine gauges, good data logging, full color screen, includes both fuel flow as well as gauges. Pair with CiES digital senders for max benefit.
  3. EI MVP-50 - Top of the line, all options, fully configurable, large screen.
+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1