Leading Edge Tape

Greg_D

I was wondering if anyone has found any tape or other covering that can be applied to the leading edge of Mooney wings to prevent paint damage.  I believe that I’ve seen some in the past that was black and almost looked like deice boots from a distance.  I’m not sure I want to go that route and was looking for something in white or red to match the paint.  

Somewhere around here is a thread...

But, from the automotive world... there isn’t any memorable experience of it working well over time... for protecting paint...

There could be an advantage on a white wing... for better seeing ice growth...

PP thoughts,

-a-

I've put clear bras on my cars for years, but my cars stay garaged for the most part. I would imagine the tape would yellow if left outside 24/7 for years. If you had a new paint job and your plane is hangared, I don't know why it wouldn't work well for a long time. Plus, I can't see how it would difficult just placing it over the leading edge. 

I have had good success with 3M Polyurethane Tape 3874 protecting the leading edge on the stabilizer of my tail wheel aircraft.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3m8674tapeft.php

Not the easiest thing to install without experience but doable with some practice.  I was fortunate enough to attend a forum at Oshkosh put on by 3M and picked up some helpful tips. 

Mine is applied over a good finish with no existing nicks or chips.  It is clear and does not alter the paint color beneath it. Applying the clear tape over an existing chip may look worse than the existing chip.  Experiment  with a small section before tackling a large area.

Trying to do the full length of the leading edge on your wing in one continuous piece would be extremely difficult for an “amateur”.  You may want to start  with a smaller section starting at the wing root.  Most of the damage seems to occur in the prop wash area.

I replaced mine after it had been in service 12 years.  It looked pretty bad at that point but I think you could expect 8+ years before it gets too cloudy.  Removal was not too difficult as 3M makes some adhesive solvents for that purpose.   Although the old tape looked bad it was still protecting the finish underneath.  The original finish looked excellent after the old tape was removed and new tape was applied.

The legality of applying it on certificated airplanes is like flying lean of peak, not as controversial but not everyone agrees.

Bill

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wpbarnar said:

I have had good success with 3M Polyurethane Tape 3874 protecting the leading edge on the stabilizer of my tail wheel aircraft.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3m8674tapeft.php

Not the easiest thing to install without experience but doable with some practice.  I was fortunate enough to attend a forum at Oshkosh put on by 3M and picked up some helpful tips. 

Mine is applied over a good finish with no existing nicks or chips.  It is clear and does not alter the paint color beneath it. Applying the clear tape over an existing chip may look worse than the existing chip.  Experiment  with a small section before tackling a large area.

Trying to do the full length of the leading edge on your wing in one continuous piece would be extremely difficult for an “amateur”.  You may want to start  with a smaller section starting at the wing root.  Most of the damage seems to occur in the prop wash area.

I replaced mine after it had been in service 12 years.  It looked pretty bad at that point but I think you could expect 8+ years before it gets too cloudy.  Removal was not too difficult as 3M makes some adhesive solvents for that purpose.   Although the old tape looked bad it was still protecting the finish underneath.  The original finish looked excellent after the old tape was removed and new tape was applied.

The legality of applying it on certificated airplanes is like flying lean of peak, not as controversial but not everyone agrees.

Bill

yeah but does it slow you down ?!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...