Just joined. Greetings

calcmandan

Hello

My name is Daniel and I just joined this forum today after some quering on Tapatalk. I am a low time pilot with fewer than 200 hours.

I attached pics of my plane, her name is Ms. Thang. Long story.

One aspect of the aviation community that sets itself apart from others is the feeling of brotherhood. Many people I've met since becoming an airman have been helpful, friendly, genuine.. It's hard to describe how gleeful I am being a member of the community.

Anyway, I'm out of Sacramento, CA and my plane is hangared at KSAC. My initial training started at a flight school there and, later, at O61 Cameron Park after I had a chance meeting with an independent CFI. I hired him instantly. Cameron Park was a great place to learn. There was nothing simple about the environment with surrounding hills and constant variable wind conditions. Had my checkride up in Chico, CA and it was a glorious day getting the congratulatory handshake.

For the near future, I'm looking at various adsb solutions for 2020 and looking forward to the AOPA fly-in at Livermore KLVK. Anyone going?

That's all for now.

D

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Welcome to Mooneyspace!  

I don’t see a picture of Ms. Thang, I assume that she is a Mooney?  It’s OK if she’s not, these guys let me participate even though I own a Piper Comanche.

Clarence 

Daniel, nice to meet you. I will be at the AOPA Fly-In at KLVK. Look forward to seeing you there.

And hello to all the mooniacs. This is also my first post. If I do this right, attached is a photo of Rogue One, my M20R.

20181006_MooneyO2 GX.jpg

• Like 4

Welcome both Calcmanda and to TGreen. It is a wonderful sight when new MS'ers join. 

Please let loose with any Mooney specific questions you may have, then sit and watch the Mooneyverse respond. 

@gsxrpilot will direct you how to add your pin on the map, others will regale you with prose of wit and BS, and we all will live happily ever after. (Yeah Right)

Thank you for joining. 

Edited by Mcstealth
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, calcmandan said:

For the near future, I'm looking at various adsb solutions for 2020 and looking forward to the AOPA fly-in at Livermore KLVK. 

If you don't already have an appointment with your avionics shop for the ADS-B install, you may not get it done this year. 

• Like 1

If you don't already have an appointment with your avionics shop for the ADS-B install, you may not get it done this year. 
The avionics shop at my airport will handle it. The tailbeacon is what I'm considering and it's a 5 minute install. They'll allow my dropin if it's less than 30 minutes work. They did that when I needed my pilot side mic button replaced. They handled it in 10 minutes. 20190504_002516.jpg20190330_1847061.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to Mooneyspace!  
I don’t see a picture of Ms. Thang, I assume that she is a Mooney?  It’s OK if she’s not, these guys let me participate even though I own a Piper Comanche.
Clarence 
I have to learn that saving drafts on tapatalk isn't effective since it drops stuff.

On my original post I said I have a Bellanca Super Viking. Joined this forum to learn from the community as well as the GA community in general. And it didn't attach my pics. If you look at a previous reply, I sent my photos in.

Anyway, I'm glad to be a member of this board.

30 minutes ago, calcmandan said:

The avionics shop at my airport will handle it. The tailbeacon is what I'm considering and it's a 5 minute install. They'll allow my dropin if it's less than 30 minutes work. They did that when I needed my pilot side mic button replaced. They handled it in 10 minutes. 20190504_002516.jpg20190330_1847061.jpg

Beautiful plane! Which avionics shop do you use?

• Like 1

Beautiful plane! Which avionics shop do you use?
Thanks man, I agree. It is painted with chromeillusion so it changes colors. The Bellanca expert in SoCal calls her the Chameleon.

The shop is Airborne Electronics. They happen to be at the end of my hangar row at the airport so it's really convenient. I don't even have to taxi to get to them.

2 hours ago, calcmandan said:

I have a Bellanca Super Viking. 

Good airplanes. They're misunderstood and often maligned. They offer a tremendous value but you simply cannot sell them anymore. The market for them is worse than it is for pressurized turbocharged twins right now. I tried to buy a turbo Viking a few years ago but it failed the pre-buy miserably. Dewayne at Miller in TX did the pre-buy for me and it had a tremendous amount of wood rot. The seller was willing to fix it but it would have had to be down three months and was a significant repair so I walked away.

Good airplanes. They're misunderstood and often maligned. They offer a tremendous value but you simply cannot sell them anymore. The market for them is worse than it is for pressurized turbocharged twins right now. I tried to buy a turbo Viking a few years ago but it failed the pre-buy miserably. Dewayne at Miller in TX did the pre-buy for me and it had a tremendous amount of wood rot. The seller was willing to fix it but it would have had to be down three months and was a significant repair so I walked away.

It really depends on the year. The last few weeks some BSV's have gone up for sale and were in contract within hours. Others have been sitting for sale a long time due to lack of use. Anything past model year 73 is sought after. Anything after 79 is guaranteed to sell. Anything with the IO550 is rare.

My plane is a rarity because in 1999 there was a gear collapse during taxi. The factory built new wings with all the modern design features and did an complete overhaul of the engine, upgraded cowlings, modern beefed up landing gear, new interior, new gami injectors. So the only original components are the steel frame, some instruments, and the engine. The result was an added 10kts cruise. When the plane went up for sale, I was the first respondent of six and they were all willing to buy on the spot. I ws lucky because I live in the same town and the guy I bought it from could keep tabs on her. He really retired from flying in a begrudging manner. Health problems.

I believe the one you almost bought, with all the rot, was purchased at a deep discount from a guy I know on the viking forums. It took a few months to repair but in the end he has a beautiful plane. The wings were refurbed at the factory and the plane reskinned.

I have to tell you, the community of viking pilots are quite eclectic and I really fit in with the group. And man, do they have a sense of humor. We have a fly-in near my home in early June. I hope to make it but Sunday night my car was rear ended on the freeway so... I'm sort of out of commission.

3 hours ago, calcmandan said:

I have to tell you, the community of viking pilots are quite eclectic and I really fit in with the group. And man, do they have a sense of humor. 

I understand, I live there. Welcome! Hope all of your vehicles are soon running well. That's been my own problem lately . . . one car, one plane, both all fixed up soon.

• Like 1