Mooney Instructor Help Needed

MarkD34M

Good morning....

I recently purchased an early model Ovation and will need to fly it from the Chicago area to the CT / NY area in the next few weeks. The aircraft is at Poplar Grove having the engine overhauled. The plane will have been test flown and ready to go but the complications will be that 1) while i have several hundred hours in a K model, I'll need an instructor and check out 2) given the overhauled engine, the trip home and some subsequent hours after will need be flown via the break-in procedures.

I am open to thoughts and suggestions but my initial thought was to meet an instructor there in the Chicago area and then airline them home or head out of the Northeast with an instructor and fly back together. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mark in Connecticut 

Mark, welcome to the forum.

Get ahold of me via PM here.  If the airplane is coming out of OH and has new cylinders (or overhauled to new limits), you need to follow CMI's break-in procedures and instructions.  This starts with the very first flight following an engine test-run...not several hours later.  CMI's procedures are very specific and should be followed to the letter, so you shouldn't be thinking about transition/training time in the airplane and THEN performing an engine break-in.  Someone with Ovation time and experience should perform the break-in procedure first to ensure your rings are seated before doing any training or other operations.  This could be done on a flight from the Chicago area to your home in CT, but I'd recommend doing it within the vicinity of your airport unless something goes wrong.  Again, PM me and happy to talk through with you.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve:

I appreciate that and is exactly what I am concerned about. I went with nickel cylinders, which will help slightly. Poplar Grove will run 2 hours in the test cell and 2 hours in flight prior to pick up. My thought was to do a local 1-2 hour flight consistent with the break in, land, verify, refuel and fly home direct so I can maintain power and altitude as necessary. Once I get it home and through the break -in period, I can work on true transition training.

I'll PM' you.

Mark 

Hi Brad - I have lots of K Model hours but almost 10 years ago. So, being prudent and to satisfy insurance, I'll need a "check out". Given the differences, I'd feel more comfortable going through the paces. I also plan to join a MAPA PPP in early fall. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

52 minutes ago, MarkD34M said:

Hi Brad - I have lots of K Model hours but almost 10 years ago. So, being prudent and to satisfy insurance, I'll need a "check out". Given the differences, I'd feel more comfortable going through the paces. I also plan to join a MAPA PPP in early fall. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

My thoughts are to PM @Parker_Woodruff He is a well respected choice for transition/currency. 

You could converse with @LANCECASPER about going from turbo to 310hp O's. He has direct experience with that, as do many others I am sure (not me :(  )  

GOOD LUCK. 

I can only repeat what others have already said: I bought a used early model ovation with a factory new engine and the break in had been done incorrectly resulting in the oil rings not seating.  Major bummer.  Good news is that I used three different Mooney instructors to get my landing runway distance down to 2,000 runways with no stress.  Enjoy the plane.  

• Like 1