How do the short bodies fly?

With the exception of the ride in IMC or turbulence, or for trips over 300nm, the M20F is a much more enjoyable airplane to fly than the Rocket. It got me thinking... I've never flown a short Mooney. Anybody with experience in both the short and mid-body Mooneys have some experiences to share?

The M20C...

Some things come to mind...

1) It’s simplicity and lightness makes it fun to fly... if you want to do short well controlled landings... go light...

2) Compared to the O... where it’s power makes it FUN to fly... its extra weight makes it super stable for IFR flight... Even it’s analog looking needles are digitally driven... :)

Sorry, I only have a few hours in the mid Body F, J, And the F/J...

But overall... C,F,J,R,S are all equally a blast to travel around in...

On that note, or list...

3) For the extra fun factor.... the Screemin’ Eagle, flying with Cris... ever get pressed into the back of your seat in a GA plane?

4) For the how do you land so smoothly factor...the world traveling M20J, flying with 201er... Mikey can wield a good AOAi...

5) For the ‘we’re going vertical, Mav!’ feeling... grab a Standing O and take JetDriven along... to help watch over important things like your JPI... 2,000 fpm isn’t quite vertical... but it sure feels like it, after a few minutes...

6) For the full digital experience... the M20F, flying with Marauder... Holy cow that’s a lot of useful data in a compact space... so logically laid out...

7) Flying the Long Body with precision... Dr. Wolff took me flying to get some practice approaches in, I was the extra set of eyes in the cockpit... landing on the numbers never looked so easy...  have to remember if he has an AOAi...  :)

8) The only time i’ve Been forgotten while flying a Mooney... was approaching to land with Alan in the F/J... we were quickly approaching the key point to turn for the runway... at KOSH...! And the controllers forgot us...   really quirky because Alan IS unforgettable...amongst ATC in that area...  quick thinking/talking Alan reestablished contact and got us on the ground... parked and set up camp...

It could be the tool that Mooney built, but it is probably the guy holding the tool that makes a difference...

Memorable flights, with memorable pilots, Mooney pilots... most are MSers, all of them are NJMPs

Fun memories to dig out... :)

Glad you asked...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, orionflt said:

Not much difference between the two. nothing noticeable in cruise, very minor difference in feel during landing

My electric C flies very well, quick and easy. Same for my legs in a later F, I only noticed much difference in landing. How much of the difference was due to the weight, how much to that F's 3-position-only flaps vs. my infinitely-adjustable ones, I'd hate to say . . . . 

2 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

With the exception of the ride in IMC or turbulence, or for trips over 300nm, the M20F is a much more enjoyable airplane to fly than the Rocket. It got me thinking... I've never flown a short Mooney. Anybody with experience in both the short and mid-body Mooneys have some experiences to share?

What is it that makes the Rocket a better ride in IMC? I get that the heavier wing loading of the rocket might be better in the chop.  Why is the F more enjoyable in your opinion?

Weight on the wing.  Short bodies only put 2575 max on a wing that is asked to carry much more on bigger models.  Also, less mass in every moment of inertia makes it much more responsive.  Even when I fill my 90 gallon tanks and get close to gross, I'm shocked by how ponderous my little butterfly feels.  Also, I'm comfortable on 2000 ft grass strips.  Mid bodies do that comfortably?

Only other thing is that the lttile 4 up against the  firewall sure seems louder and buzzier than the mid bodies I e ridden in.  Using a little less power in cruise sure helps that.

When carrying passengers, there is a lot less moaning and groaning out of the rear in an F than a C :) When trimmed correctly, both land equally well, the mid body gets the nod in turbulence, the short body gets the win in short field work.

A little different look over the nose in the landing flare, but I don't see any major differences in handling a C vs a J. The R feels more different than either.

But there's a caution to all the answers. The amount of difference to a pilot is more related to the experience of the pilot than differences in models. Not just total hours, but total hours in different models. A pilot who's has flown 20 different types sees less differences than in who has only flown 2 or 3.

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1

Don't have much experience in any long bodies but I remember during an annual a fellow that was also getting some work done on his long body I think it was an M came over to visit and commented how he used to have a C and how much more fun it was to fly than his Bravo. He said the M was better suited to his mission but his C was just a fun airplane to fly. I concur our little Mooney is fun and if you don't need back seat room the size is really more like your in a vintage sports car like an early 911 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My first Mooney was a C and now I have an F with the J modifications.

I flew the C like it was my Cessna 140.  It had no P.C.  I don’t know if that had anything to do with it, but the F controls are heavy.  Another difference is that I began doing full flap landings.  With the stiff controls and full flaps, it was a much different plane than my C which had light, floppy controls like my 140.  All that said, I felt very comfortable in my C, landing with no flaps.  I think the short bodies were Al Mooney’s masterpiece.  Once others started tinkering with the design, the magic, at least partially, went away.

Dont get the wrong idea, I love my F, but it has taken awhile to get comfortable with it, and I actually need more time in it.  I am wondering if fixing the PC which seemed to be considered a necessary addition to the F, will make it more forgiving.