Delco starter

Hi all,

i had my original 1962 delco starter just overhauled, when I did an ops check without prop installed, the small gear extended and turned as it should, but now stays out and will not retract, I called the overhaul shop and they said that’s typical for these old staters, and that when the prop is on and starts, centrifugal force will retract the gear.

Anyone have any info on this? Sounds highly unusual to me, hate to get prop on and find out it’s the starter. I never heard of such thing. Starter should automatically disengage when power is removed, 

thanks in advance for any info.

32 minutes ago, Joe Afonso said:

Hi all,

i had my original 1962 delco starter just overhauled, when I did an ops check without prop installed, the small gear extended and turned as it should, but now stays out and will not retract, I called the overhaul shop and they said that’s typical for these old staters, and that when the prop is on and starts, centrifugal force will retract the gear.

Anyone have any info on this? Sounds highly unusual to me, hate to get prop on and find out it’s the starter. I never heard of such thing. Starter should automatically disengage when power is removed, 

thanks in advance for any info.

The Bendix will retract with the spinning of the prop. 

Way to go Joe!

Yeah we all find out the same way... sooner or later...

Some find out over a long time...

Some get surprised, because it only shows up after a failed start...

The act of the prop turning at speed stores it away...

If the engine doesn’t start, the first thing the owner notices that is different, is the Bendix drive in the extended position...

If you get a dead battery, often... you become familiar...

For a comfortable feeling going forward...

Expect it to store itself away...

If it doesn’t for some reason... the starter turns into a generator... watch for unusual voltage related to the excess source...

Or shut down and get out and give it a look...

My 65C had the Delco starter and generator...

They weigh about a ton each...

Fear not the upgrade...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Easy to lubricate by spraying on and around the gear...

it drives forwards and backwards, and twists...

after a year of being stored outside, it really needs another shot of lube...

When it gets sticky... you will probably hear the starter whir... and do nothing... because it didn’t extend to engage the ring gear... 

It’s quite an interesting ‘self propelled’ device... ancient design, and super long lasting...

Fun PP stuff you learn over a decade with an M20C...

Best regards,

-a-

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Way to go Joe!

Yeah we all find out the same way... sooner or later...

Some find out over a long time...

Some get surprised, because it only shows up after a failed start...

The act of the prop turning at speed stores it away...

If the engine doesn’t start, the first thing the owner notices that is different, is the Bendix drive in the extended position...

If you get a dead battery, often... you become familiar...

For a comfortable feeling going forward...

Expect it to store itself away...

If it doesn’t for some reason... the starter turns into a generator... watch for unusual voltage related to the excess source...

Or shut down and get out and give it a look...

My 65C had the Delco starter and generator...

They weigh about a ton each...

Fear not the upgrade...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks to all, I feel a bit better now and am comfortable completing the major install, it cost me 475 to overhaul this starter, I could have got a brand new sky-tec for that, live and learn they say. I’ll look at it like a classic car keeping it original

• Like 1