Which Cowling Enclosure Mod?

I am about to have the engine overhauled, so I got to thinking while the engine is out and cowl off, this might be a good time to think about the cowling enclosure that makes the air inlet smaller.  My primary reason is, new engine/cylinders would be a good idea to have improved and more efficient cooling.  I have seen a number of 20C's like mine with the LASAR mod, but I recently saw online the ARI enclosure https://aeroresourcesinc.com/proj98-ci/WebContent/product_category/product_detail/998   I have not seen one in person, and I was wondering if anyone in the group has one or knowledge and how it stacks up compared to the LASAR.  The ARI has a fairing at the top of the cowl as well as the bottom so it looks more like a 20J cowl.  However, it requires shimming the backplate to move the prop forward to receive a 20J spinner.  So the ARI appears to be more $, more complicated to install, would likely change the CG a little moving an approx. 70 lb prop & spinner 2" farther forward on the forward most extreme of the aircraft.  So is the performance in cooling and/or speed worth it, or is more an issue of aesthetics?  

Thank you for your help and advice.

Can someone authoritatively comment on the cooling and speed gain of the ARI mod?  With the LASAR closure, both are marginal at best, though it is a real aesthetic improvement.  Aesthetics are not much better with the ARI mod than the LASAR one in my subjective opinion.  I think the ARI mod may have some cracking/durability issues with flexing of the fiberglass and overlying paint? 

Yet another option is to do nothing now but save your money for @Sabremech to have this amazing soon to be PMA'd upgrade for the J cowl to also get STC'd for the vintage Mooneys.  Then you'll get all the speed, cooling, and aesthetics dividends in one masterful stroke. 

• Like 2

+1 to save your AMU’s for SabreMech’s product. I have read virtually zero anecdotes of positive gains from the guppy covers versus an entirely redesigned cowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Guppy mouth covers do have some improvements to airflow and cylinder cooling... for a very small added piece of equipment... availability might be hard to come by... some of these devices may not be manufactured anymore...?

Sabremech’s cowl comes with an outstanding amount of before and after data, and looks like a modern cowl...

It really comes down to how much budget is needed...

If it is for a forever-plane... the better balanced temp control makes a good reason for a modern cowl...

Better to get the plane painted after the cowl gets added... See bob’s better than new M20E....

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Nobody on this site belongs to the CB (CHEAP BASTARD) club!!! :)  Just go with the Lo Presti remember money is no object (Sadly not for the C)!

Options:

Cost ($), complexity (X), Cooling (~) Speed (Z) and Coolness (O)  (O for the big O factor not 0 for zero) (N for neutral)

Lo Presti $$$$$ XXXXX ~?~ ZZZZZ OOOOO (not for your C)

Sabre Not Yet available $$$ XX ~?~ ZZZ OOOO (assumptions based on threads V2 is yet to be tested) (might be to long for your C)

Money Mart no longer available

SWTA no longer available  (someone can step up to buy the STC and start making these again, just call them to talk with JD)

ARI $$ XX ~~ Z1/2 OO (What I would do for your C)

Lasar $ X ~~ 1/2Z maybe gets one O

No Mod N N N N  N

As far as cooling goes: Based on my ratings as you can see there are some cooling advantages (Honestly not much from what I can tell and does depend on other factors as well) but all cowl mods are fairly close based on my research and the Lo Presti maybe neutral to positive and Sabre has not been tested on his current mod. 

For me I am trying to wait for the Sabre Mod.  Remember the ARI(I might do while I wait for Sabre), Sabre and Lo Presti all require the 201 Spinner which adds to the cost over the Lasar.

Opinion only from a PP who has been looking into the mod for several years now!

Don't forget the OIL COOLER MOD that is required for some of these as well and maybe the mod to start with.  Overhaul the engine = buy a new oil cooler and have it relocated (I did mine last year).

• Like 1