To TCI (Turks and Caicos)

ESPN168

Has anyone from NE flown to TCI before? Can a 20J do this trip comfortable with multiple stop overs. I am from Toronto and deciding between a 20J or 20K(252) I've given up on the F I was inquiring about.  What would be a typical flyplan for you guys?  From say CNC3 to MBPV.  In J and also in  K.  

Edited by ESPN168

6 minutes ago, ESPN168 said:

Has anyone from NE flown to TCI before? Can a 20J do this trip comfortable with multiple stop overs. I am from Toronto and deciding between a 20J or 20K(252) I've given up on the F I was inquiring about.  What would be a typical flyplan for you guys?  From say CNC3 to MBPV.  In J and also in  K.  

Yep you can easily do it in a J or K. @deb has done it from KFXE a few times in his (or is it his wife's) Ovation. Ohmar has one upped him in his Ultra acclaim doing Puerto Rico to Miami Executive. Both of these burn more fuel/hr. Comfortable? that depends on you and your endurance. It would be far more comfortable in either a J or K than a Cessna piston.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N711PP

• Like 1

I’ll echo Mike’s Ovation comment and take it a bit further.  Certainly one of the best cross-country performers in the fleet.  For the same money you’d spend on an expensive K, you could look for a FiKi-equipped Ovation for the same or slightly higher price point.  Your maintenance would likely be less, given the newer airframe of the Ovation.  Obviously other factors to consider, and I’m generalizing, but something to seriously consider.

Steve

I did it in my “J” a few years ago and it was a great flight. I would suggest stopping at KFPR where you can rent a life raft and top off. My route was over Freeport, Nassau and than basically direct. I flew at 11k and you can talk to Miami Center most of the way, you will loose them about 120 mi. north of Provo. Enjoy your flight.

• Like 3

Back in the 90s I landed on Provo several times, and once on Grand Turk.  The flights were from KFXE and KFPR, and were done in an E.  No issues, except for the one flight when I was detained for inspection by the USCG on the Provo ramp. 

Mooney distance and speed... unbeatable...

Central NJ to the Mooney Summit in Panama City, FL... non-stop... with reserves... stock M20R...

After that... refuel, repeat...

ESPN,

I’m not sure why you are being so specific with questions about TCI...

Flying international has some quirks related to paperwork and planning... bring your passport and other docs...

Flying over water has some quirks related to safety... in the event of a water landing....

Beyond that... M20F, M20J,  And M20K can all fly the distance equally well... one does it faster than the other two...

Extended range tanks are also available... so find a plane that has them already, if possible.

Long flights are aided by having an IR and a bunch of experience... and a giant sized bladder or bladder substitute... :)

A turbo powered Mooney has one more skill over the NA Mooneys... you get to decide how important it is to you and your wallet... Toronto and flying down the east coast... no real requirement for a TC’d plane...  Good to have, but not need to have...

Mooneys have been designed and built around the needs of Loooong X-country flights... whether they get used this way or not.... 

If you need proof of how far an M20J can fly... Find 201er’s videos... Arctic circle, Mexico, Caribbean, including Cuba...

There are a few Mooneys that cross the Atlantic somewhat regularly. Every other year or so... somebody will circumnavigate the globe in a Mooney... the youngest pilot to ever do this, used his Dad’s Ovation...

Go Mooney!

-a-

Definitely more then doable. We were looking at going slightly further this spring heading down to the British Virgin Isles. Non stop in the K from Ft Lauderdale executive entirely possible. Don’t forget your life raft rental. The turbo gives you the option to get higher over weather (at least initially in the mornings. It goes up to the 40’s and beyond pretty quick if it’s gonna be an isolated TS kind of day but you get the visibility to plan ahead.

Check those fuel prices if you are going to island hop. Some of them gouge handsomely!

Missed the big trip this year. The club is thinking of an Iceland/Ireland trip. We are out in The Calgary AB area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

20 hours ago, carusoam said:

Mooney distance and speed... unbeatable...

Central NJ to the Mooney Summit in Panama City, FL... non-stop... with reserves... stock M20R...

After that... refuel, repeat...

ESPN,

I’m not sure why you are being so specific with questions about TCI...

Flying international has some quirks related to paperwork and planning... bring your passport and other docs...

Flying over water has some quirks related to safety... in the event of a water landing....

Beyond that... M20F, M20J,  And M20K can all fly the distance equally well... one does it faster than the other two...

Extended range tanks are also available... so find a plane that has them already, if possible.

Long flights are aided by having an IR and a bunch of experience... and a giant sized bladder or bladder substitute... :)

A turbo powered Mooney has one more skill over the NA Mooneys... you get to decide how important it is to you and your wallet... Toronto and flying down the east coast... no real requirement for a TC’d plane...  Good to have, but not need to have...

Mooneys have been designed and built around the needs of Loooong X-country flights... whether they get used this way or not.... 

If you need proof of how far an M20J can fly... Find 201er’s videos... Arctic circle, Mexico, Caribbean, including Cuba...

There are a few Mooneys that cross the Atlantic somewhat regularly. Every other year or so... somebody will circumnavigate the globe in a Mooney... the youngest pilot to ever do this, used his Dad’s Ovation...

Go Mooney!

-a-

MS, reason so keyed on TCI is that my sister just purchased land in middle Turks for me to GC to build her dream vacation home there. And it's probably where I plan to retired, I just hate taking commercial and going to big airports etc. I would gladly spend a little more time and money and perhaps find myself a good co and spend our leisure time in Mooney then taking commercial.

• Like 2

Hi ESPN168,

Not sure how far along you are in the plane search, but since you are Canadian I thought I would touch base. My 252 is based in Edenvale and if you are trying to decide between a J and K,  I would be happy to show you mine and answer questions about the K model. I use mine to fly between here and New Brunswick, a little over 600 nm which it can do easily non-stop. I have the long range tanks, but rarely use them as it really limits my payload and I don’t like sitting in the plane for 5 hours or more.

I love my 252 and planned to keep it forever, but my wife wants the security of a parachute so I am now looking for a Cirrus. The Mooney will be going on the market probably next spring. 

J and K are similar to fly but the ability to top most of the weather is a must-have for me. That’s where the turbo really shines. I will never own a normally aspirated airplane for that reason. The extra speed at altitude is just a bonus. If you plan to do Toronto to Caribbean flights, I would certainly recommend a turbo.

Regards,

Mark 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, squeaky.stow said:

Hi ESPN168,

Not sure how far along you are in the plane search, but since you are Canadian I thought I would touch base. My 252 is based in Edenvale and if you are trying to decide between a J and K,  I would be happy to show you mine and answer questions about the K model. I use mine to fly between here and New Brunswick, a little over 600 nm which it can do easily non-stop. I have the long range tanks, but rarely use them as it really limits my payload and I don’t like sitting in the plane for 5 hours or more.

I love my 252 and planned to keep it forever, but my wife wants the security of a parachute so I am now looking for a Cirrus. The Mooney will be going on the market probably next spring. 

J and K are similar to fly but the ability to top most of the weather is a must-have for me. That’s where the turbo really shines. I will never own a normally aspirated airplane for that reason. The extra speed at altitude is just a bonus. If you plan to do Toronto to Caribbean flights, I would certainly recommend a turbo.

Regards,

Mark 

A 252 with long range tanks will go further than anyone wants to go in a piston single. I kinda wish I had the long range tanks in mine. Although I'd only use them when solo. My wife would rather take an extra suitcase, and doesn't want to sit in the plane more than 4 hours at a stretch anyway.

@ESPN168, I'm based at Burlington with a J, if you would like to see mine (it's not for sale) and ask questions, I'd be happy to take you up for a ride. I haven't flown to the Caribbean yet, but I have done multiple trips to Florida in it.

11 hours ago, ohdub said:

@ESPN168, I'm based at Burlington with a J, if you would like to see mine (it's not for sale) and ask questions, I'd be happy to take you up for a ride. I haven't flown to the Caribbean yet, but I have done multiple trips to Florida in it.

Ohdub,  that would be great. I've messaged you.