Hmm?? GPS, ADSB and the Garmin 175??

joekinnc

Howdy gang - 

Hmm interesting just got an email from Sportys on the Garmin 175 - quite the package. 

I think this had made my life much more difficult - now what to do for ADSB (was going to go with the uAvionix Sky Beacon - and I have REGULARLY been checking eBay for a "deal" on a Garmin 430 or 530 with WAAS - 

I believe the power of many brains is better than my sometimes dim single brain - so what do you all think?

I also wonder if the resale market on the 530, 430 is going to drop through the floor with this product?

For an instant answer...

Find the threadS covering the Garmin 175, already in progress...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Gnx375

Then Find the thread regarding using Sporty’s to install avionics... additional quirky reading... and back ground.

Then compare to...

• used 430s... non-WAAS misses the point...
  • 430W... is a nav/com and is already pretty low cost for the added skill...
  • 530W... interface will feel like Y2K all over again... twist press twist press twist press, oops... twist more, press again...
  • GTN650 or similar Avidyne...

As Scott mentioned... great device if you need just the GPS upgrade...

It makes a great replacement for a standalone BK GPS box...

What are you looking to swap out?

There are no easy answers for this. Mostly because it all depends on what you have, what you need, and what you want....

Wait another day, and  all the what’s will move about...

See what Alan fox has in inventory for comparison to used...

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, joekinnc said:

I also wonder if the resale market on the 530, 430 is going to drop through the floor with this product?

Probably not since as was said earlier, the 175 and 375 are GPS only and the 430/530 are GPS/Comm.  So if you only need a GPS then they are a good thing.  But if you need the comm as well, you are right back with the Garmin 430/530/650/750 or the Avidyne products.

9 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

Probably not since as was said earlier, the 175 and 375 are GPS only and the 430/530 are GPS/Comm.  So if you only need a GPS then they are a good thing.  But if you need the comm as well, you are right back with the Garmin 430/530/650/750 or the Avidyne products.

I disagree. Comms are not that expensive. Add a $2k comm box and pocket the thousands saved over 650+345 or 430waas+345 etc. 

-Robert 

2 hours ago, joekinnc said:

Howdy gang - 

Hmm interesting just got an email from Sportys on the Garmin 175 - quite the package. 

I think this had made my life much more difficult - now what to do for ADSB (was going to go with the uAvionix Sky Beacon - and I have REGULARLY been checking eBay for a "deal" on a Garmin 430 or 530 with WAAS - 

I believe the power of many brains is better than my sometimes dim single brain - so what do you all think?

Sky beacon is an ads-b option but it doesnt give you any advantages of adsb. It just fills the requirement. My guess is you saw the GPS175, but not the GNX375. The GNX375 is the same gps as the 175, except it has a GTX345 transponder built into it. So it fulfils you waas, and ads-b requirements. Right now id take the GNX375 over a 430 waas. Its newer technology and should be better in general.

You want this. Not the 175. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/577174

5 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I disagree. Comms are not that expensive. Add a $2k comm box and pocket the thousands saved over 650+345 or 430waas+345 etc. 

-Robert 

You are correct.  I should have added if you want the GPS and Comm in one unit.  Forgot that part. :(