Ovation Interior

Does anyone know the name of and more importantly, the source of the material that covers the sidewall panels in the early Ovations.  It looks like it is glued to the fiberglass panels and the material is fairly stretchy.

Edited by Greg_D
  • Like 1

Greg, the smooth leather-like material is from the "IZIT" product line from Willowtex.  They have several leather and faux-leather materials available for aircraft, and have supplied materials for the Ovation and Acclaim, as well as many bizjet interiors.  It is generally held in place by 3M 1300L neoprene adhesive.

Willowtex is in Mt Airy, NC.  They can be reached at (336) 719-6694.  Many of their materials from this line can be bought directly from them, and unless they've changed their policies, they can sell to you in 1-ydincrements.  Hope this helps.

Steve

...And for something else to compare too...

I think Steven hit the nail square on the head.  But, trying to refresh my memory,  I dug a little deeper looking for something I thought I remembered differently... 

It has so many dead links in it, it might not be very helpful at all...

-a-

On 5/19/2019 at 2:26 PM, StevenL757 said:

Greg, the smooth leather-like material is from the "IZIT" product line from Willowtex.  They have several leather and faux-leather materials available for aircraft, and have supplied materials for the Ovation and Acclaim, as well as many bizjet interiors.  It is generally held in place by 3M 1300L neoprene adhesive.

Willowtex is in Mt Airy, NC.  They can be reached at (336) 719-6694.  Many of their materials from this line can be bought directly from them, and unless they've changed their policies, they can sell to you in 1-ydincrements.  Hope this helps.

Steve

The amount of knowledge willfully given to this amazing online community is awesome!  So much to learn from some very worthy aviators.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that Mt Airy is the place where DAX foam is manufactured (although you have to buy it from Skandia in IL).  

My favored source for woven carbon fiber is also in W NC.  It’s a repurposed textile mill. 

Good to see some some high tech manufacturers in the old mill towns. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have an idea of how many yards of this stuff would be required to complete an entire interior with this installed in all the places Mooney used it in the original interiors?  Would square yard remnants be sufficient or would I need to get larger sizes n complete rolls?

You'd have to call Willowtex and ask.

Alternatively, you can call Hector at AeroComfort in San Antonio.  He'll likely do some more interior work for me in the near future.  Exceptional quality.  Tell him what model you have and he can let you know how much you'll need and even give a quote for an interior "kit".

https://aerocomfort.com/general-aviation/

Click the "Mooney" link on the right.

1 hour ago, StevenL757 said:

You'd have to call Willowtex and ask.

Alternatively, you can call Hector at AeroComfort in San Antonio.  He'll likely do some more interior work for me in the near future.  Exceptional quality.  Tell him what model you have and he can let you know how much you'll need and even give a quote for an interior "kit".

https://aerocomfort.com/general-aviation/

Click the "Mooney" link on the right.

Talked to the good folks at Willowtex.  Very responsive, but really didn't have any idea how much I would need.  I sent two emails to Aerocomfort last week with no answer.

2 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

Talked to the good folks at Willowtex.  Very responsive, but really didn't have any idea how much I would need.  I sent two emails to Aerocomfort last week with no answer.

Call AeroComfort instead.  Not sure...given their Covid recurrence...what their staffing levels are.  Either way...ring them and speak with Hector.

Steve