PNW at KAWO - shop recommendation

I probably need a referral for a shop at Arlington, WA (KAWO).  I think my SkyTec starter is blown.  I will make a better diagnosis tomorrow, but I expect to need a shop, as I do not think that a starter is owner serviceable, though easy to do. 

On the plus side, more options than getting stuck at Harvey, and better than being stuck in the Bay Area where I was going this weekend can scrubbed due to the weather.  

Pinging a few PNW flyers I have seen on MS:  @amillet  @wombat  @M20C_AV8R @FlyingAg14

thanks, -dan

Good luck Dan.

What do you know about the starter’s not working?

Any sounds of it trying to work?

The starter relay usually makes an audible click...

If you get a whirring noise... that’s a sound of the Bendix drive not moving to engage... (easy pilot fix, clean and lube)

Do you have the push to start ignition switch? Any hassles with that recently...?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony, like you, bendix gear or the solenoid is my first suspicion in these cases.  Upon turning the key, I can hear (and feel it when someone put their hand on it) the solenoid engage and the starter power indicator comes on the panel.  I can trigger the solenoid to click in and out when pressing the ignition in and out, so I believe the switch is good.  Distinctly no whirring sound of a starter motor free spinning.

No Bendix gear with the Skytec NL...I think another Skytec model may use a Bendix gear.  I removed top cowling, and I could reach down and turn the starter's gear freely, so it is not seized.  If the shear pin gave, I think the starter motor still turns, but the gear does not.  

Voltage was good during the short flight to fuel.  Showing 12.1 volts on the JPI which requires that the master and avionics be switched on, so there is a load just to check the voltage...not ideal but I had no handheld voltmeter with me.  Does Garmin G5 show bus voltage anywhere?  That would be one less set of loads to turn on when checking voltage.

Never a guarantee of anything, but the battery is Concorde AGX from March, so I *expect* it is still good.  

Tomorrow I will be there is voltmeter and remove both cowlings.  Then I can precisely check for where the voltage is, and access the starter's connectors.  

Anyone else have the binary failure mode for the Skytec?  It was working fine, then it wasn't working at all.  At least the old bendix gear starter failed over time with plenty of warning.  It has been 4yrs 3mo and 400 hours since install.  If it is the starter, I am very disappointed.  I expected it to last much longer.   

2 minutes ago, M20C_AV8R said:

Hey Dan that stinks, no clue on a mechanic at Kawo, just cannon for avionics, be sure to ask on FATPNW, I have an extra starter (skytec) do you know the model of yours, send me a message or email me,.

PM sent.

Find the Skytec manual, online for various things to check for...

I’m pretty sure I have seen it referenced around here... it had some interesting ideas iirc...

Dirty connections are good for showing good voltage, but not carrying the amps...  battery terminals are known for this... especially if you see white salts building up...?  

Best regards,

-a-

• Bolter changed the title to PNW at KAWO - shop recommendation

To give closure to the topic...for now...

Got to the plane this morning, and before doing anything, I did a test start.  Worked perfectly.  Taxied to a good working space, removed cowlings, and check each connector from starter to the solenoid and verified the battery contactor looked good.  I verified the little wires at the starter are connected securely as well.  

Not sure how to troubleshoot a working system, so I eventually flew it and got it hot, to recreate the situation.  Still started.  Decided to take it home, and just have to see what happens in the future.  I will carry a voltmeter with long leads and alligator clips in the plane for when this happens again, so I can see where the volts aren't going.  

-dan

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gacoon said:

Also isnt there a maintenance shop right behind the restaurant?

@gacoonYou are right.  As far as places to break down, Arlington is a good one.  There are several shops, but none were open on Saturday.  Being close to my homebase at Harvey, I did not feel like making an emergency service call until I could check things out on Sunday myself.  And then it worked, so there was not much else to do.  Detailed visual inspection of connections, a test flight, and I took it home.