Baffling Replacement

Davidv

Just now, Davidv said:

After seeing a lot of tearing and unsecured rubber baffling (the staples are coming out), I think it’s time to replace.  Has anyone replaced theirs? Any recommendations on best kits?

I replaced mine.  I purchased the raw materials and converted from staples to cherry rivets.  An A&P/AI inspected and signed off.  It too about 10 hours of labor...  I used the old baffles as templates to cure the new ones... As soon as I find a photo I'll post one.  If you want a materials list, let me know

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davidv said:

Thanks Alex! Yes a material list would be great if not too much trouble.  Did it improve temps at all for you?

I think its @GEE-BEE that sells baffle kits. They look pretty nice. @ilovecornfields had a write up a while ago of the installation

If i linked the wrong accounts sorry. Its been a minute.

8 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

I think its @GEE-BEE that sells baffle kits. They look pretty nice. @ilovecornfields had a write up a while ago of the installation

If i linked the wrong accounts sorry. Its been a minute.

Good memory! Love my baffles. You ever get to the avionics shop?

Had it done at Expert Aircraft at F70. Great guys!

637374CF-1176-4F6E-8D9E-C04F28AE5FFB.jpeg

• Like 2

I put a GeeBee baffle kit on my Bravo about 3 years ago, and it works great, Lowered the temps. Wasn’t to bad to install, Took about 10 hours to remove the old and install the new, could be done faster I guess , I’m  just very meticulous though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PTK said:

Gee-Bee 

How exactly is it better? Last I checked it wasn’t FAA approved. Has this changed?

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/programs/sups/upn/media/98-071r.pdf

That was 19 years ago. This has been discussed before on Mooneyspace.

The vastly superior material is sold with certifications and is replaced as an owner produced part. Cessna and Beechcraft use it in their new production airplanes. My IA who used to be Mooney's Service Director wouldn't let me install the material that you buy from Spruce that comes on a roll. He showed me a sample of the good stuff and it's pretty easy to see which keep its shape and will hold up better. I've put it in an Encore and a Bravo and have been very happy with the results. Spruce also sells the kits produced by @GEE-BEE.

7 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

That was 19 years ago. This has been discussed before on Mooneyspace.

The vastly superior material

So you are confirming it’s FAA approved? And how is one silicone baffle material “vastly superior” than another? I understand Gee-Bee will cut it to fit and that’s great but what else?

55 minutes ago, PTK said:

So you are confirming it’s FAA approved? And how is one silicone baffle material “vastly superior” than another? I understand Gee-Bee will cut it to fit and that’s great but what else?

I’m comparing this, which is fiberglass reinforced to give it a great combination of strength and flexibility, to the baffle material which I had that is not fiberglass reinforced.

What additionally makes the GEE-BEE kit worth the money is that it is die-cut so you are not trying to trace the original seals and doing a hack job, while at the same time saving the labor costs of doing so. The result is a very professional job that you can be proud of.

Sorry for the delay in listing the promised materials.  Here's what I used from Aircraft Spruce below.  In addition, I used a new high quality drill bit to drill the holes for the rivets.  Most of the rivets were backed with a baffle seal washer to create enough thickness of material to properly compress the rivet, if that makes sense.  I know you can buy kits and so forth but I really enjoy this sort of thing.  I'll post some photos in a bit....

Other tips:

1.  Buy a silver paint pen from a hobby store and number the old baffle seals in order clockwise as you remove them.  This will make it easier to keep them in order when you cut them and place the new ones.  

2.   I used tin snips to cut the baffle seal material that I already had on hand.  These are easily found at one of the hardware stores.

3.  I used a portable vacuum to catch the shavings from the drill holes for the new rivets.

05-56130 BAFFLE SEAL B/U WASHER GB-A4    5.900    5.90
05-00792 SILICONE 1/8"X3"X9' BLUE W/MAT    79.950    79.95
72 #72 REVOLVING HAND PUNCH    10.850    10.85
12-00889 AVERY 360DEG SWIVEL POP RVT TL    47.500    47.50
05-56100 BAFFLE SEAL POP RIVET JM4-4 (PK OF 100)    7.850    7.80

05-00791 SILICONE 1/8"X36" W/ MAT BLUE    70.750    70.75