The best C’s?

I've had my '65 C model for nearly 9 years.  It was fairly heavily modified prior to my ownership.  A physician in Atlanta had it modded with 201 upgrades at Mooney Mart in '98.  Last year, I realized that I'm probably keeping this plane until I can't climb up on a wing, so I bit the bullet and started updating the panel.  Still a work in progress, but it suits my mission well.  Plan on going vacuumless in the near future, just waiting on the Aspen MAX upgrade to be available.  It's arguably one of the faster C models with a TAS in the 152-157 knots range.  The downside is it's probably one of the lowest useful loads in the fleet.  After the bladder install, I'm sitting at 550lbs of people and bags with full fuel.  

mooney panel.jpg

mooney griffin.jpg

• Like 5

I’m just getting started but finding it fun.  Great ideas seeing some of the other mods up here. 

‘My 1965 M20 C, needs a few more things.  I’m thinking comm panel is next  any suggestions on where I can find a good deal?1CEB6BB7-C38E-4FB9-8118-F73F4061B3DD.thumb.jpeg.cfac2add7b0098e9e1ac82e54901ae2a.jpeg

9AEBF1A7-2AF7-4EE8-8FAF-190547ACB876.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rbridges said:

It's arguably one of the faster C models with a TAS in the 152-157 knots range.  The downside is it's probably one of the lowest useful loads in the fleet.  After the bladder install, I'm sitting at 550lbs of people and bags with full fuel.  

Since I've never known you to be prone to hyperbole on here, I would posit at that you have the fastest C in current existence and can hang comfortably with the 201s in cruise. I hope one day that mine will be able to hang with yours after installing a Powerflow Exhaust and STC of the Sabremech cowl, but I am skeptical.  It may need electronic ignition too for a shot at it.   

It's odd your useful load is so low.  I'm on the low end with 580lb with the 54 gallon bladders full, and my prop is a heavier than yours (though your powerflow is a bit heavier than stock exhaust).   I can't imagine your J cowl weighs much more.  Streamlining your panel, including getting rid of the vac, will help a decent bit.

12 minutes ago, DXB said:

It's odd your useful load is so low.  I'm on the low end with 580lb with the 54 gallon bladders full, and my prop is a heavier than yours (though your powerflow is a bit heavier than stock exhaust).   I can't imagine your J cowl weighs much more.  Streamlining your panel, including getting rid of the vac, will help a decent bit.

If you saw my plane in person, you'd see they used a lot of body filler to blend in the wing root fairings and rivets around the windshield.  Joey Cole told me it was pretty thick when he was installing the bladders.  I imagine that added several pounds to it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DXB said:

Since I've never known you to be prone to hyperbole on here, I would posit at that you have the fastest C in current existence and can hang comfortably with the 201s in cruise. I hope one day that mine will be able to hang with yours after installing a Powerflow Exhaust and STC of the Sabremech cowl, but I am skeptical.  It may need electronic ignition too for a shot at it.   

Be careful, Dennis Ramsey's old C with an IO360, J cowl and windscreen, Hi compression pistons and 2 blade is out there cruising around waiting for someone to race for pink slips.....

• Like 3

14 hours ago, rbridges said:

I've had my '65 C model for nearly 9 years.  It was fairly heavily modified prior to my ownership.  A physician in Atlanta had it modded with 201 upgrades at Mooney Mart in '98.  Last year, I realized that I'm probably keeping this plane until I can't climb up on a wing, so I bit the bullet and started updating the panel.  Still a work in progress, but it suits my mission well.  Plan on going vacuumless in the near future, just waiting on the Aspen MAX upgrade to be available.  It's arguably one of the faster C models with a TAS in the 152-157 knots range.  The downside is it's probably one of the lowest useful loads in the fleet.  After the bladder install, I'm sitting at 550lbs of people and bags with full fuel.  

Part of the problem with updating the panel is that "top of the line" becomes "standard" then "needs work" in far too short a time . . .

I've had mine 12 years, and she's sliding down the equipped list. But she will carry 670 lbs. with full fuel at ~148 KTAS, so I can't complain too much, especially at 9gph ROP. Not as fast as Rob's, but I doubt he has 120 lb of bondo on his plane.

811647324_Panel3.JPG.03af1b0e065ad69052ad2240c5542f97.JPGPanel.thumb.JPG.306a204d7bb6fca2ef1d9cdbda68c1c1.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DXB said:

Since I've never known you to be prone to hyperbole on here, I would posit at that you have the fastest C in current existence and can hang comfortably with the 201s in cruise.

32 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Be careful, Dennis Ramsey's old C with an IO360, J cowl and windscreen, Hi compression pistons and 2 blade is out there cruising around waiting for someone to race for pink slips.....

I think we need a race...I vote for any altitude above 15k. 

2 hours ago, rbridges said:

If you saw my plane in person, you'd see they used a lot of body filler to blend in the wing root fairings and rivets around the windshield.  Joey Cole told me it was pretty thick when he was installing the bladders.  I imagine that added several pounds to it.

It sure looks nice though!

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

My personal version of this race requires still having a carburator to qualify for entry - it is as essential to the C model identity as being a short body. Installing an IO-360 is aircraft model reassignment surgery in my opinion, and that plane should be granted its wish to be called an E model, even if the FAA disagrees :P.

• Haha 1