A one way to pick up my new Goldwing!

Curious if anyone is looking for an excuse to go fly next weekend! It’s not a Mercy or Angel flight but it’s close... I’m going to pick up a new motorcycle. I’m in Palatka, FL and the dealership is in Rockingham, NC. I’d be happy to do my part. The airport is only 2 miles from the dealership in NC.

My Mooney is in Texas or I would fly my Dad up and let him ride it back. He also is in TX...Flying commercial I would have to get a one way car rental from Charlotte .... ugh such a pain! Id much rather make a new friend, cover whatever costs, buy us lunch and only with my bike helmet as my luggage!

Thanks

Jerrod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I’m still working on the probable return trip plans... but it apparently goes on a winding trail through the black hills of the Dakotas, aka Sturgis... Laconia, NH... and Daytona Beach for some reason...  :)

Jerrod may be offline for months after the bike pick-up...

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

I’m still working on the probable return trip plans... but it apparently goes on a winding trail through the black hills of the Dakotas... Laconia, NH... and Daytona Beach for some reason...  :)

Jerrod may be offline for months after the bike pick-up...

-a-

Sounds like a good long weekend trip for an Iron Butt rider, think @stinkypants only on a motorcycle. Why else would you buy a GW...ultra long rides or persuaded by the wife.  

I used to do some crazy long days on a GSA...with two kids, not so much. 

Edited by MIm20c
  • Like 1

Each of the three locations are known for their ‘bike weeks’, so it is going to take some time to enjoy the festivities... :)

Start planning the exit strategy... (the two kids eventually leave the nest... one may leave with a high powered bike...)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Jerrod, I could help you out as I’m based at FXE (not exactly around the corner but always looking for an excuse to fly) but it just depends on what day you would like to go.  I’ll send you a PM. 

If this doesn’t work out you could probably find a biker who could help you. I can think of several that I work with who would jump at the chance to take a free plane ride and drive a new motorcycle back for me. They’d think it was a win going both ways!

• Like 1

@Frank B. That is WingX...

You can Try it out for free... the base level is free.  Or $1 technically...

It is also free to CFIs... with all the bells and whistles...

I have had it for about a decade... getting better every quarter...

The airport info remaining on the left side of the screen, was from when I had to hit the gravity button at Alan’s house to straighten up his pile of avionics pics...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

Each of the three locations are known for their ‘bike weeks’, so it is going to take some time to enjoy the festivities... :)

Start planning the exit strategy... (the two kids eventually leave the nest... one may leave with a high powered bike...)

Best regards,

-a-

As long as it’s not my daughter leaving on the back of one...

• Haha 1

A huge Thank You to DavidV! We have a tentative plan worked out and I am very excited to get my first experience in a Bravo!

This bike is a major turning point in my life. I have owned 8 motorcycle dealerships over the last 15 years. I have not owned a bike that I bought from another dealership or auction in over 20+ years. Having sold thousands of bikes this is the first time I have no intention of selling what I’m buying!

The idea is to have a bike to go on long distance trips on with my father. I’m planning to force myself to make time to riding with him while we still can. If any other Mooniacs out there are riders it would be fun to cross pollinate our hobbies and maybe put together some rides that could involve both the motorcycles and some right seat time.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

That is WingX...You can Try it out for free... the base level is free.  Or $1 technically...It is also free to CFIs... with all the bells and whistles...I have had it for about a decade... getting better every quarter...

If they only had Mexican charts, that would be my go to app. I thought they did have them a few years ago. I've have WingX since it first came out, paid for it for a few years until they started giving it away free to CFIs.

• Like 1

Good luck wth the bike.  Have you asked the seller the last time the belts were replaced?  They get stiff after awhile.  I had an old Wing ('83), I really got to like the breed.  Well thought out motorcycle.  I did get tired of fixing it all the time.  Refugee from the '80s, and a complex one at that.  Stuff broke all the time.  I suspect the newer ones don' break at all, they are Hondas after all.

I actually am buying a 2016 left over from the factory! It’s still in the crate. 0 miles. Having been in the industry I know some people and was able to get a smoking deal and unlike a plane rotting away in a hangar this one still comes with a full Honda warranty! 

Thanks for the the advice however! Always good to get someone who knows more than you to assist you during the “prebuy” bike or plane!

On 5/17/2019 at 10:19 PM, jerrodmonaghan said:

Curious if anyone is looking for an excuse to go fly next weekend! It’s not a Mercy or Angel flight but it’s close... I’m going to pick up a new motorcycle. I’m in Palatka, FL and the dealership is in Rockingham, NC. I’d be happy to do my part. The airport is only 2 miles from the dealership in NC.

My Mooney is in Texas or I would fly my Dad up and let him ride it back. He also is in TX...Flying commercial I would have to get a one way car rental from Charlotte .... ugh such a pain! Id much rather make a new friend, cover whatever costs, buy us lunch and only with my bike helmet as my luggage!

Why is it called a Gold Wing if it has no wing?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Why is it called a Gold Wing if it has no wing?

Dunno, but that vast majority of these bikes were built in a factory just down the road from me. Honda has used a lot of flight-related names, now that I think about it.  My old bike was a Nighthawk, and a stripped down Goldwing is a Valkyrie.  They made a touring platform of the CX500 (neat bike) they called the Silverwing.  That moniker is now used for one of their bigger scooters.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 10:02 AM, carusoam said:

Best regards,

-a-

Don't forget Fayetville Bikes Blues and BBQ. Think they are getting numbers somewhere around 400,000 + bikes now:D

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 7:41 AM, steingar said:

Dunno, but that vast majority of these bikes were built in a factory just down the road from me. Honda has used a lot of flight-related names, now that I think about it.  My old bike was a Nighthawk, and a stripped down Goldwing is a Valkyrie.  They made a touring platform of the CX500 (neat bike) they called the Silverwing.  That moniker is now used for one of their bigger scooters.

They were not the prettiest of beasts those Silverwings. 

Huge thank you to Dave and his beautiful Bravo! We left from Ft. Lauderdale and picked up my Dad in Palatka FL and dropped into Richmond County Airport all before Lunch. The trip home took only 3hr 09min.... My Dad was almost in tears when he realized the bike I kept telling him was for me was not just one bike but a pair of bikes for us both!

I highly recommend anyone who needs to lift to ask your fellow Mooneyspace family. Dave and I hit it off immediately and I know we will be great friends now and into the future.

Thanks again everyone!58031442675__9753517B-CE0F-4142-AB00-F476D24D3081.jpg

• Like 4