What I learned in Longview today

There are a lot of good MSC's around the country, but no one knows more about Mooneys than the Oracle in Longview, TX. And I mean nobody.

I use JD and Laura at SWTA for all my maintenance and they are excellent! But when they get stumped, they pick up the phone, dial Longview, Texas and ask for Don.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

G1000 ovations with STEC autopilots can be "reverse engineered" and have a GX3 with a G500 AP put in! The Ovations were "optional"  to have the G1000. I imagine the same is true on the STEC Bravo's.

Got your ears on @Deb

I'm wondering if this can pave the way for the GFC-600 to eventually be added to the list...

Still pushing this with Garmin....hard.

15 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

G1000 ovations with STEC autopilots can be "reverse engineered" and have a GX3 with a G500 AP put in! The Ovations were "optional"  to have the G1000. I imagine the same is true on the STEC Bravo's.

Got your ears on @Deb

Hello Mike,

No, I'm sorry this cannot be done. our STC's for both the G3X and the GFC 500 systems specifically identify that these are not applicable for airframes with existing G1000 systems.

Let me know if there are any other questions,

Question for Trek... @TrekLawler

Background...

1) a couple of times a week people will ask a Garmin specific question...

2) MSers do the best they can to answer each other’s Garmin questions...

3) It would be great if you had your notifications set up so you get alerted, via email, or when visiting MS...

4) MS is a Garmin Customer rich environment, made up of a group of several thousand aircraft owners...

Question...

5) Do you have your notifications turned on?

If you need help getting MS notifications, let us know...  we have an inside guy that can do some problem solving if something isn’t working right...

Feel free to add additional contact info in your signature line... email, text, etc....

I do a fair amount of reading. I often send notifications to participating MSers when a topic in their area of expertise arises... Some MS participants are also manufacturers of avionics...

Best regards,

-a-

Hello carusoam,

sorry no, I guess I do not have notifications turned on, I'm on 12 different forums and usually tell people to send me a PM and I will look into issues. but normally stay on the larger forums per say. how would I setup auto notificaitons, I don't want to add direct contact information as hopefully you can understand, with being on this many forums and already averaging around 200 emails a day it could quickly escalate.

As I understand it, the G-1000 was optional on the M20R certification with the STEC installed, so it can be done.

Is the exclusion on the Garmin certification only if the G-1000 is presently installed?  Because you could take it out that "option" then there wouldn't be a G-1000 to worry about.

You aren't adding a G3X or GFC500 to a G-1000...You are adding it to an M20R.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TrekLawler said:

Hello Mike,

No, I'm sorry this cannot be done. our STC's for both the G3X and the GFC 500 systems specifically identify that these are not applicable for airframes with existing G1000 systems.

6 hours ago, TrekLawler said:

Hello Mike,

Thanks Trek, I stand corrected. I’ll let Dmax know before he guts that sucker. I am sure Garmin will have an upgrade path to WAAS for those that didn’t get it done before discontinuance. Perhaps the NXI?

It really seams ridiculous that you can’t replace a G1000 panel. I also don’t understand why you can’t just add a GNX375 to a G1000 panel to provide WAAS and ADS-B instead of paying 30K for an upgrade. Nothing like painting yourself into a corner.

5 hours ago, TrekLawler said:

Hello carusoam,

sorry no, I guess I do not have notifications turned on, I'm on 12 different forums and usually tell people to send me a PM and I will look into issues. but normally stay on the larger forums per say. how would I setup auto notificaitons, I don't want to add direct contact information as hopefully you can understand, with being on this many forums and already averaging around 200 emails a day it could quickly escalate.

Hey Trek,

If you have a moment of time...

At the top, right corner, of your screen... click on your screen name... it brings you to a page that is all about you...

Then find Account settings...

It helps to add your email in there... 

There is also an option for Notification Settings... (you might need a big screen like an iPad to see it all)

Might want to put a logo for a pic... or your kid’s pic...

Being a former sales guy... I used to get many emails... that was my connection to customers with tiny questions... most, I had answers pretty well thought out in advance....

I’m not sure how you handle a load that is about 10X of my experience... from a different type of clientele... but that is your area of expertise...

I just think it may be better to know when people are looking for you... earlier, is better than later...

Done the right way... it will appear and feel as if you are hanging out in one place... when we all know there are 199 less important aviation websites you are forced want to go visit...  :)

If you get set-up properly...

Somebody quotes you as I did above... this initiates the notification process...

or somebody references you like this... @TrekLawler and you get a notification as well...

If somebody asks the open ended question... like who do I ask a Garmin question to... somebody can point in your direction...

What you do with it is up to you...

If you were to visit on Wednesdays and Fridays...  a small red light is lit at the top of your screen with a short list of all of your  notifications in one place...

Click through each one, it takes you to the exact location of the reference.... (most often)

In an imperfect world... MS adds a whole bunch of organization....   :)

Using notifications... you can find the most appropriate Garmin related info at a touch of a button... and skip the rest of the LOP vs. ROP discussions...   hmmmmmm...  Wait, There are questions related to the new Garmin engine monitoring system too....  

Skip all the stuff not related to Garmin... except don’t miss the Today’s flight thread... That’s good for ideas for your weekend away...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Hey Trek,

If you have a moment of time...

At the top, right corner, of your screen... click on your screen name... it brings you to a page that is all about you...

Then find Account settings...

It helps to add your email in there... 

There is also an option for Notification Settings... (you might need a big screen like an iPad to see it all)

Might want to put a logo for a pic... or your kid’s pic...

Being a former sales guy... I used to get many emails... that was my connection to customers with tiny questions... most, I had answers pretty well thought out in advance....

I’m not sure how you handle a load that is about 10X of my experience... from a different type of clientele... but that is your area of expertise...

I just think it may be better to know when people are looking for you... earlier, is better than later...

Done the right way... it will appear and feel as if you are hanging out in one place... when we all know there are 199 less important aviation websites you are forced want to go visit...  :)

If you get set-up properly...

Somebody quotes you as I did above... this initiates the notification process...

or somebody references you like this... @TrekLawler and you get a notification as well...

If somebody asks the open ended question... like who do I ask a Garmin question to... somebody can point in your direction...

What you do with it is up to you...

If you were to visit on Wednesdays and Fridays...  a small red light is lit at the top of your screen with a short list of all of your  notifications in one place...

Click through each one, it takes you to the exact location of the reference.... (most often)

In an imperfect world... MS adds a whole bunch of organization....   :)

Using notifications... you can find the most appropriate Garmin related info at a touch of a button... and skip the rest of the LOP vs. ROP discussions...   hmmmmmm...  Wait, There are questions related to the new Garmin engine monitoring system too....  

Skip all the stuff not related to Garmin... except don’t miss the Today’s flight thread... That’s good for ideas for your weekend away...   :)

Best regards,

-a-I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that

Trek, would the installation of the G3x  and GFC500 be precluded if Mooney has a Service letter allowing the removal of the G1000? While there were many M's and R's that the G1000 was an option for this would comply with Garmin STC of not having existing G1000 once removed by SL. As Parker states, it was an option on these air frames and as such, should be removable.

The TN might be a bit more of a challenge using this approach, as only one didnt have a G1000.

The real eloquent solution would be for a Garmin upgrade path (read economically viable) to the NXI  with WAAS and SV and GFC700  for existing G1000/stec non waas holdouts, but that might lack economic substance for Garmin.

Welcome aboard, Bill Green...

12 hours ago, bill Green said:

I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that

Color me perplexed...  :)

Who is Dave, and what was he asking you to do..?

Checking the calendar... is it 2001 again?

Let me know if I can be of assistance...

Keep in mind, I’m only a PP that hangs out here often...

Best regards,

-a-

On 5/17/2019 at 5:33 AM, mike_elliott said:

Trek, would the installation of the G3x  and GFC500 be precluded if Mooney has a Service letter allowing the removal of the G1000? While there were many M's and R's that the G1000 was an option for this would comply with Garmin STC of not having existing G1000 once removed by SL. As Parker states, it was an option on these air frames and as such, should be removable.

The TN might be a bit more of a challenge using this approach, as only one didnt have a G1000.

The real eloquent solution would be for a Garmin upgrade path (read economically viable) to the NXI  with WAAS and SV and GFC700  for existing G1000/stec non waas holdouts, but that might lack economic substance for Garmin.

Hello Mike,

apologies for the delay, I'm currently out on business travel at an owners and pilots convention and not able to look at forums much this week. sorry no, this is not possible. even though the G1000 might have been an option from the factory, if it was chosen to be purchased and delivered to the customer in this configuration it is still identified as a G1000 equipped airframe and not eligible for the GFC or G3X systems

Thanks Trek. That company posture could only mean Garmin has an affordable solution to the planes that would be orphaned otherwise in the works, not only Mooney's but other makes as well. Perhaps an NXI/G700 upgrade path?

Make no mistake about it, the G1000NXI with the GFC700 is the best system I have ever flown behind without a doubt. To have it available for the 200x Stec non waas fleet would bring them into this new world. The potential of what the NXI could be capable of doing is awesome!

• Like 1