Surefly Ignition and J's

Erik...

The two distinct peaks that come with each mag test...

Trying to see if the electronic mag signatures are different from the standard mag signatures...

peak EGTs are helpful at defining how much burning fuel escapes past the exhaust valve...

a sign of wasted energy/fuel...

The electronic mags are supposed to be more powerful spark... this power may actually be burning more Of the fuel... similar to advancing the timing of the old style mags...

It may actually be spreading the flame faster without altering the timing... kind of adjusting the initial condition... in a way I haven’t any experience with...

Spark either worked or it didn’t...

Then... Champion showed us how a week spark doesn’t work as well...

Now we may be seeing the anti-Champion effect... a stronger spark is better than an average spark...

Interesting...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 5:05 PM, carusoam said:

Erik...

The two distinct peaks that come with each mag test...

I flew again day before yesterday - and with no where to go I continued to play around with LOP settings, this time at a bit higher power settings. I am still suspicious and proceeding carefully.  I was never able to run LOP before installing the surefly, being mostly tit limited.  Sunday, I was playing around with 72% settings, so 16.1-16.2 ff, 31'', 2300, and -30LOP.  It ran quite smooth, seemed quite happy and I am amazed at how cool everything was.  I mean at 72% and hottest cht at 311, coolest at 295?! And Tit is now quite cool too.  You can see my injector setup is, has always been since I jiggered it several years ago, quite tight, on the order of 0.2, but I couldn't run lop at any useful settings until now with the surefly hotter spark being the missing link.  So 16.2gph vs the book setting of 20gph for rop 72%. Next time out, I will try 75 and 76.  Heck at this rate, maybe a cruise setting of 80% lop may be attainable.  Then this would even be a speed mod.  I dunno...anyway I know the beech crowd have some folks cruising at 85% lop.  In any case, I take those Cht's as a real sign that the icp's can't be too high or the cylinders would be getting hot.  With them that low, this is suggesting very low pressures, as to my understanding of this all.

https://apps.savvyaviation.com/flights/3869711/b30854d5-df6c-4815-b1ed-ae4355e36694

I'm really pleased - I have had this plane for about 10 years and now she has a new trick.

I also flew 2 ifr approaches full- official with atc just for currency since solo social distance, that's the way.  It was mvfr.  I did the engine testing at 9k over tops.

I got so close to Canada that my cell phone decided I was in Canada and seems to have charged me the $5 international fee.  I need to protest that. https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N314EB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With TIT so nicely controlled...

I would think Surefly would be crowing about the improved fuel burn characteristics...

It appears to be burning better before it gets to the TIT sensor...

TIT is The important measurement to keep the turbine’s blades from eroding or stretching...

While LOP...  FF is The important measurement to have an eye on the power output...

°F LOP... is the way to use excess air to keep things cooler... including CHTs, EGTs, and TIT...

Does MT have a preferred RPM for efficiency?

It is probably a challenge to get enough FF to get to 85%bhp... without the °F LOP getting squeezed back towards peak...

You will probably be able to build a nice graph of FF vs. TIT 

Seeing if @jlunseth is around... he likes this kind of discussion... :)

Do you have the calculation for bhp% for your engine while LOP, using the proper compression ratio (CR)?  f of (FF)...

Late night thoughts only, not clearly thinking in daylight hours...  :)

We didn’t discuss keeping the engine running much... as in going too far LOP and the engine shuts off... causing a need to re-start.... at altitude...   (been there, done that already...)

Best regards,

-a-

21 hours ago, carusoam said:

With TIT so nicely controlled...

I would think Surefly would be crowing about the improved fuel burn characteristics...

It appears to be burning better before it gets to the TIT sensor...

TIT is The important measurement to keep the turbine’s blades from eroding or stretching...

While LOP...  FF is The important measurement to have an eye on the power output...

°F LOP... is the way to use excess air to keep things cooler... including CHTs, EGTs, and TIT...

Does MT have a preferred RPM for efficiency?

It is probably a challenge to get enough FF to get to 85%bhp... without the °F LOP getting squeezed back towards peak...

You will probably be able to build a nice graph of FF vs. TIT 

Seeing if @jlunseth is around... he likes this kind of discussion... :)

Do you have the calculation for bhp% for your engine while LOP, using the proper compression ratio (CR)?  f of (FF)...

Late night thoughts only, not clearly thinking in daylight hours...  :)

We didn’t discuss keeping the engine running much... as in going too far LOP and the engine shuts off... causing a need to re-start.... at altitude...   (been there, done that already...)

Best regards,

-a-

I think you are right - in all 13 points you made.  Hahah - seriously though - I am amazed at how differently this new ignition is burning the fuel load to so dramatically change the temps especially most obvious in the Tit.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

I am around but not flying at the moment. My aircraft went in for the annual in late Feb. and is still there.  Apparently it has COVID and is in quarantine.  Oasis would have found a way to get it back to me by now, I am sure, but the engine monitor went to JPI where it apparently started showing symptoms of COVID so it also is in quarantine. I think there were some other parts that also caught COVID and are sitting somewhere in quarantine. Can’t do any LOP experiments at the moment, but this sounds promising.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2020 at 5:49 PM, PT20J said:

Nice. A couple of nitpicks: Standard practice is to put the circuit protection close to the power source so the fuse should really be at the battery end of the wire to protect the wire from a short circuit. This is confusing because the Engine installation instructions have drawings that look like the picture. But the Airframe installation instruction is clear.

2.7. Power Wire Routing:
a) Route the power wire from the power source to the SIM following the shortest course.
b) Locate the 10A fuse (or other appropriate 10A circuit protection device) as close to the power source as
possible.
c) Secure the wire along its entire route, protect from chafing and provide strain relief across areas of
movement. Guidance for wire routing, chafe protection and strain relief can be found in FAA Advisory
Circular 43.13-1b Chapter 11-137 & 11-138
d) Strip both ends of the power wire and crimp appropriately sized ring terminals onto each end. Do not use
solder terminals.
e) Connect the ring terminals per the circuit diagram in section 2.6.

P-lead shields should ideally be grounded at one end only as a shield should never be able to conduct current. Mooney typically grounds them at the ignition switch (but this may vary by model, so check). However, if there is no radio interference, it should be fine even if grounded at both ends.

Skip

Thanks Skip for your comments.  My plane just went through annual and I had them make all the changes you suggested here.  Also, the drawings that came from surefly were typical engineering electrical drawings that give the appearance as if the fuse might be near the surefly unit which was not their intention so when we called them to describe our changes they affirmed that they will actually be changing their drawings to better clarify this ambiguity for others!  So thanks for your sharp eye for me and for the others!

E

• Like 2

Erik,

Expect that the lug... is the bolt that a wire gets attached to...   the threaded device where the wire gets connected....

If the lug gets loose, a manufacturing problem.... could randomly allow the unintended escape of electrons....

Escaping electrons are bad... they go places where they are not wanted... and don’t go where they are wanted...

Similar to a wheel... the bolts that get lug nuts... are lugs...   in this case the lug is also an electrical connection device...

Not a highly technical term, just one that describes a connector in a simple way...

PP thoughts only, not an electrical engineer...

Best regards,

-a-