Moving back to the Orlando area

TonyK

Hello Florida flyers.  I am contemplating a move back into the Orlando area and I used to live in Winter Park and  fly out of Sanford KSFB.  Things have changed a ton since I was there and I am now wondering where would be a good drome to park my two airplanes.  I would prefer to put both in the same hangar but if I can only find a couple of Ts that would work short term.  Any ideas on a new home that is GA friendly?

I just got a hanger at SFB on the SW ramp. They are rebuilding them after the hurricane damaged and they are going fast so i would recommend calling and getting on the waiting list. Also depends on your budget but the SE ramp has really really nice hanger but they come at a price. Let me know if you would like more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tony, How long have you been gone from Orlando?  It has changed a-lot. Have you considered some of the suburban area’s? Hangar rent will be cheaper as well as your home, Less car traffic and air traffic too. X35 is a great airport, hangars run around $250/mo. You can get a nice home on the Rainbow river for about the same as a small home on a a little lot in WP. Leesburg has some great lakefront properties and the airport is towered and not much traffic. Have you visited The Villages? If not, it’s worth a look. Ocala has hangars for around $325 and reminds me of Altamonte Springs from the 1980’s as far as traffic and things to do. Ocala has Leeward air ranch and Jumbolair too. Daytona is pretty congested but Spruce Creek is truly an amazing aviation community. Palm Coast is a hidden gem. Flagler airport is great and you can live on the beach or inter-coastal waterway for about the same as Winter Park or Baldwin Park. Melbourne and Palm Bay have come a long way. Nice airport, probably hard to get a hangar though. Winter Haven, Bartow and Lakeland have great airports. No idea what hangar rents go for maybe someone else can chime in. West of town is growing but there aren't any airports. 

No matter where you end up in central FL, you'll have great flying wx most of the year. 

1 hour ago, Eight8Victor said:

Winter Haven, Bartow and Lakeland have great airports. No idea what hangar rents go for maybe someone else can chime in.

I have one in Lakeland where T-hangars go for ~$320/month. They have built some new ones and are improving taxiways around the GA hangar area. Bartow had some hangars available, and currently has a wait list for them. Looking at about the same price there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Alfredo said:

Hi, i have my mooney on shade hangar in Orlando executive (KORL), 18 minutes from my house in maitland, I pay 212 inluding txs. if you wanna close hangar you have to go to KISM. but with traffic 1 hour driving.

I fly into KORL to visit my son at UCF.  Driving across Orlando anytime after mid-morning is awful.