Aspen PFD/MFD - Can a second PFD take the place of an MFD?

I may have an opportunity to acquire (at a price a CB would love) an Aspen 1000 PFD. As I already have one, I would be interested in actually having it to use as an MFD, but don't know if that is a possibility. My question to the MS brain trust is: Can an Aspen PFD be used as an Aspen MFD? While it sounds like it would be logical, I understand logic has no meaning in electronics and aviation. There are some members with a lot of Aspen experience out here in Mooneyspace, so this is going out to them and anyone else who can help.

I won't address the MAX upgrades of each, as that would get into permutations of options, so let's just skip that for now.

TIA

Quick, invite @gsxrpilot and @Marauder expect they may have looked at this Aspen install option... 

Technically it would work well, because it has all of the internal parts necessary to do both jobs... getting all the unlock codes may cost some...

Where it might have a challenge... does the paper work cover it being used this way...

Sometimes trading down is almost as easy as trading up... but know before you acquire the device...

@Alan Fox might have an Aspen come through the shop every now and then...

Wish we still had our Aspen guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Aspen is doing a good job bailing people out when they buy a used unit that is not complete.  However, keep in mind you are going against the STC by installing a used unit without sending it back to Aspen. It will not have the proper connections on the backplate to allow for the external battery which allows for the removal of your ASI and altimeter.  

Recently Aspen was selling used MFD units for $5k retail. With a dealer that gives you a discount the price will be less than $4500. Even if you got the unit for sub 2k it might cost a good portion of that to get yours reconfigured and ready for action. 

• Like 1