Garmin Listens: Check out GPS 175 and GNX 375

I was looking through the Aircraft Spruce website and found EXACTLY what I have wanted for the last three years.

A WAAS GPS unit that will replace the defunct Loran in my currant panel, fitting into the same space.

The GPS 175 an GNX  375 are both 2" tall and are priced only a little more expensive than the non WAAS used units I was considering. The cheaper unit is just WAAS GPS. The GNX 375 puts the same WAAS GPS capability and ADS-B together in the same unit (How slick is that if you don't already have your ADS-B solution). 

I plan on combining it with the AV-30 in HSI mode for the readout. We'll see how that goes. I like how the AV-30 fits in a classic panel.

I've believed for years that this sort of thing was very doable for the avionics industry. You can call Garmin the elephant in the china shop but they're the only one delivering the logical product that I've been wanting.

2" tall. I won't have to rip out all my avionics after all.

Cheap _____s rejoice. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Piney,

You must have blinked and missed it... some threads go back as far as March....

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Gnx375

The news out of big G has been rolling strong...

Another CB’s surprise... the upscale G3X for use by the certified world...

Best regards,

-a-

Gee, I used the search function too. 

Have quotes on the way from two shops on a 375 install.  Get rid of that old GPS and that Michaels nav/com.

Want to get an audio panel also and will need another com.  KMA 20 and Sigtronics will go.  I've been looking at PS Eng. PAR200A.  What'cha think?  Or should I go with a 450 and Garmin 225?  Why, why not?

22 minutes ago, David Lloyd said:

Have quotes on the way from two shops on a 375 install.  Get rid of that old GPS and that Michaels nav/com.

Want to get an audio panel also and will need another com.  KMA 20 and Sigtronics will go.  I've been looking at PS Eng. PAR200A.  What'cha think?  Or should I go with a 450 and Garmin 225?  Why, why not?

I got the 450B and love it, so I am biased. Since you are considering the PAR200A and the 225, you must be looking to not replace the NAV portion of the radio you are pulling out. The PAR would free up some stack space, but you are also combining two pieces of equipment doubling the potential for any one failure to take out the other part. 

All depends on what you want to fly with and the level of risk you are willing to accept. Probably not a big risk, but with my luck, I would win the avionics-failing lottery! :blink:

Spoke with the Garmin rep for over an hour during SnF about the 175 and 375. He said something big would be announced by OSH and I would remember he said so. Could not get him to spill the beans but a 175 or 375 with built in COM would be really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, c177tx said:

Does anybody know if the AV-30 will have Glideslope and CDI indicators to be use with the GPS175 for an LPV approach?

I asked them about this and here is what they told me.

"

Will it be able to display glideslope information? What about down the road? I am looking at the Garmin GPS 175 and like that the AV-30 could fit into my existing panel. Do you have to be on their approved list to be used as the CDI for their instrument?

Hi David,

When we certify the APA-10 adapter, glideslope will become available if your nav radio has Arinc 429 capability.  The initial cert is more stand-alone however.  Normally, there is no requirement to be on an approved list if they are following an industry standard interface.

Jeff

Jeff Bethel

Founder

AeroVonics LLC

12306 Menaul Blvd NE

Albuquerque, NM 87112

(505) 270-0004 (Cell)

Jeff.Bethel@AeroVonics.com

"

So I think the answer is that they will if the 175/375 has Arcint 429 capability. I couldn't figure out how to get that information out of the Garmin site. Seems like the big companies like to steer you away from making your own decisions. At least Garmin is noticing us as a worthwhile market to pursue.

I ordered the 375 from my avionics shop in April and I’m supposed to get it installed in a few weeks so I’ll hopefully give a pirep soon.  Because I got it so soon, I’m sure at Oshkosh they will end up announcing a 750 like product at half the price :).  It’s being connected to my Sandel but I have to buy a software update which is unfortunate, but I’m not quite ready to spend $ on a new PFD or HSI.  I only got the 375 because it was $2k more than putting in a GTX-345 to replace my 76A.

Garmin also tells me they are working on the ForeFlight integration but of course wouldn’t give me a date.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davidv said:

I ordered the 375 from my avionics shop in April and I’m supposed to get it installed in a few weeks so I’ll hopefully give a pirep soon.  Because I got it so soon, I’m sure at Oshkosh they will end up announcing a 750 like product at half the price :).  It’s being connected to my Sandel but I have to buy a software update which is unfortunate, but I’m not quite ready to spend $ on a new PFD or HSI.  I only got the 375 because it was $2k more than putting in a GTX-345 to replace my 76A.

Garmin also tells me they are working on the ForeFlight integration but of course wouldn’t give me a date.

How much is the Sandel update?