KC 295 flight computer

I removed my KC 295 flight computer to send to Bendix King for Bench Check.  Can anyone tell me what the hose attachment to the unit is?  Vacuum? Air cooling? Can the plane be flown with this unattached or does it need a plug to prevent a problem with the vacuum system?

its a static line for altitude hold. Highly encourage you to send it to someone other than BK for bench checking and repair. BK can't even fix it without bringing it up to the latest Mod level which could be prohibitively expensive depending on what level yours is at.  There are several with repair capability for the unit - thus many options. Talk to your local avionics shop for recommendations since they'll likely be re-installing it. 

1 hour ago, Arthur said:

.....Can anyone tell me what the hose attachment to the unit is?  Vacuum? Air cooling? Can the plane be flown with this unattached or does it need a plug to prevent a problem with the vacuum system?

It is connected to the static port.  You should plug the hose to maintain altimeter and transponder encoder calibration.   

The KC 295 is still available for field service and is not required to be returned to the factory for repair.  There are some components in the KFC 200 system (KS271A,KS272A) that would need to be repaired at a authorized repair center.  Duncan Aviation, Mid-Continent Instruments, Southeast Aerospace and Precision Aero are the approved repair centers for certain components

Edited by Jake@BevanAviation
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:42 PM, Jerry 5TJ said:

It is connected to the static port.  You should plug the hose to maintain altimeter and transponder encoder calibration.   

My Mooney and Seneca have  a separate static port system (one port on each side of the fuselage) for the autopilot computer.

Aerodon

6 hours ago, Aerodon said:

My Mooney and Seneca have  a separate static port system (one port on each side of the fuselage) for the autopilot computer.

Aerodon

Your Mooney and Seneca both have only one system, they are designed this way to minimize any yaw miss trim. It equalizes the ambient pressure measured from both sides of the aircraft. There are aircraft out there with multiple systems, some with dedicated ports for the autopilot, the PA-46 would be a good example. We have to go back to our early training and remember the ambient pressure inside a non pressurized aircraft in flight is around 50' below actual. In the early days, there were no static ports in small aircraft. One of my tests is to see how the autopilot flies with the static disconnected.

Bob Weber

WebairConsulting.com

616 822 1999

Edited by Bob Weber
  • Like 1

Bob,

I was trying to point out to Jerry that the auto pilot has its own pitot system, and is more than likely not connected to the altimeter / encode static system.

So both my Mooney and my Seneca have two systems.

And thanks for educating me, I always thought the two ports were for yaw, but yaw miss-trim is a better reason.

Aerodon

Back when I had a new-to-me '78 J with a KFC 200, the altitude hold was very erratic. I removed the KC 295 and then removed the PC board that had the static pressure transducer and found that the transducer had water in it -- probably from aiming a hose at the static ports when someone washed the airplane. I shook all the water out and let it dry for a couple of days, then reinstalled it and it worked flawlessly for the next 7 years I owned the airplane.

Skip