Looking for California Mooney rental/instruction

m100psi

Hi all,

I've been shopping for my first aircraft for a while, and recently decided I might want to add the M20J to the options.  It seems to fit my plan, and the less expensive ones are in my budget, but I've never had a chance to fly (or sit) in one.  I'm near Sacramento and the closer, the better, but does anyone know anywhere within about 500 miles where I can get a lesson?  I saw the thread posted on rental Mooneys in 2016, but the list in that thread is a dead link now.

This cart is a little ahead of the horse until I can fly one, but I'd also be interested in knowing about any coming up for sale.  My only hard requirements are a solid AP, 430W or better, and good history of diligent maintenance.  I'm new to shopping for Mooneys so not yet familiar with ways to shop for them outside of the standard aircraft sites.  Any type-expert Mooney mechanics around Sacramento?

Thanks,
Matt

Pinnacle at CRQ has an M20J for rent. They might even sell it to you...

To answer your second question, Top Gun at SCK are well regarded Mooney experts and I would highly recommend them. When I bought my plane I called them and asked if they knew of any planes for sale and they gave me a couple of promising leads.

As far as instructors go, @donkaye in San Jose and @kortopates in San Diego are pretty exceptional. You’ll have a hard time finding better Mooney instructors than these guys.

Edited by ilovecornfields
Added instructors
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, m100psi said:

All the good planes are in San Diego...that's where I had to go to find a Tiger to fly as well.

Thanks very much.  I'll follow up with everyone you suggested.

Matt

Flying J at SDM used to have a Tiger. I’d fly it up the coast at 200 ft with the canopy open when I was a teenager and my frontal lobe hadn’t finished myelinating yet. Good times!

• Like 1

Finding threads about Mooney rentals takes a bit of effort...

There are Mooneys for rent in a few locations around the US...

The following list can get you close, but the key words are so common.... it may take reading through a few manually...

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Mooney Rental&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

The cool thing about deciding to pursue the Mooney lifestyle... if you decide...

1) Speed

2) Efficiency

3) Safety

...Are important to you.  You are following the proper path.

Enjoy the hunt!

-a-

There is a flight school at Palo Alto that rents a 231.  They will hook you up with an instructor for a test flight.  I flew the plane to be sure I wanted to buy a Mooney, and, well, it worked.  All American Aircraft has what looks like a very nice M20J coming in for $129k, if that is a model you might be looking for.  

11 minutes ago, Lance Link said:

There is a flight school at Palo Alto that rents a 231.  They will hook you up with an instructor for a test flight.  I flew the plane to be sure I wanted to buy a Mooney, and, well, it worked.  All American Aircraft has what looks like a very nice M20J coming in for $129k, if that is a model you might be looking for.  

Are you talking about the one for rent Advantage? I checked just now and it doesn't appear available for scheduling anymore -- which is a shame because I'm looking to try before I buy in the same area too.

5 minutes ago, Hall Liu said:

Are you talking about the one for rent Advantage? I checked just now and it doesn't appear available for scheduling anymore -- which is a shame because I'm looking to try before I buy in the same area too.

Have you flown in a Mooney? I know of a few Mooneys at KSQL with pilots who I'm sure would take you up for a ride and answer any questions you might have.

We have a map around here that could help you out as well. But you'll have to populate your avatar with a bit more information including the Location field. City or Airport will get you access to the map.

1 hour ago, gsxrpilot said:

Have you flown in a Mooney? I know of a few Mooneys at KSQL with pilots who I'm sure would take you up for a ride and answer any questions you might have.

We have a map around here that could help you out as well. But you'll have to populate your avatar with a bit more information including the Location field. City or Airport will get you access to the map.

Haven't ridden in one yet, but I'd definitely want to before I start putting serious effort into the purchase process. What's the etiquette on asking for a ride? Send an email and offer to pay for gas?

Thanks for the tip on location -- now I just have to go find this map...

15 minutes ago, Hall Liu said:

Haven't ridden in one yet, but I'd definitely want to before I start putting serious effort into the purchase process. What's the etiquette on asking for a ride? Send an email and offer to pay for gas?

Thanks for the tip on location -- now I just have to go find this map...

PM sent.

What's the etiquette? Just send a message and ask. I don't know of anyone who would be offended or even hesitate a minute to take you flying. If there's one thing all Mooney owners have in common, it's our love of showing off our airplanes and sharing why they're the best certificated single engine piston in the sky.

I'll send you some additional info tomorrow to help you find a ride. But try the map as well.

Pinnacle at CRQ has an M20J for rent. They might even sell it to you...
To answer your second question, Top Gun at SCK are well regarded Mooney experts and I would highly recommend them. When I bought my plane I called them and asked if they knew of any planes for sale and they gave me a couple of promising leads.
As far as instructors go, [mention=7354]donkaye[/mention] in San Jose and [mention=7862]kortopates[/mention] in San Diego are pretty exceptional. You’ll have a hard time finding better Mooney instructors than these guys.

I used Donald E Kate and Mike Jesch for my transition training. Both excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, all.  I wrote to Don Kaye and it sounds like we can set up a lesson, but it will be a few weeks.  I'll see if someone at KSQL would mind taking me up in the meantime.  It's been a while since I've frustrated ATC in the bay by not knowing all their visual reporting points, so a trip to San Carlos is definitely in order.

I wondered why Advantage kept coming up in web searches for renting Mooneys even though there were none in their fleet.  Guess that explains it.

Matt

• Like 1

Wanna fly a Mooney That is for sale...?  M20J In NJ...

Came across this listing from my home drome,  yesterday...

Being sold by the same guy I bought my M20C from 19 years ago...

You will get the feeling how much you like a Mooney from the engine start, and taxi...

The take off run and climb seals the deal...

The brief cruise will be icing on the cake...

Takes about a half hour to become a confirmed fan of Al Mooney... and his work.

Best regards,

-a-

The 231 was at Advantage, yes.  It was listed just a few months ago.  You may want to call them on the phone and ask if they can set you up with a CFI who can give you an hour or two of dual.  As I understand it, it almost never flew, either by the owner or anybody else.  It's possible a flight could be arranged as an "off the menu" item if you ask.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, m100psi said:

Thanks, all.  I wrote to Don Kaye and it sounds like we can set up a lesson, but it will be a few weeks.  I'll see if someone at KSQL would mind taking me up in the meantime.  It's been a while since I've frustrated ATC in the bay by not knowing all their visual reporting points, so a trip to San Carlos is definitely in order.

I wondered why Advantage kept coming up in web searches for renting Mooneys even though there were none in their fleet.  Guess that explains it.

Matt

Don's Bravo is going to be a bit bigger than an M20J. If you like the size of the Bravo you may be disappointed in the size / performance of the J.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1