skyBeacon

I installed my skyBeacon today.  I tried my ios app to configure the skyBeacon on my iPhone 5 but couldn't get it to work.  I found the skyBeacon on my wifi settings but the app wouldn't go any further for settings.  ?Maybe my iPhone 5 is out dated.  I'll try it tomorrow with my wife's iPhone 7.  I was wondering if anyone else has had problems using the uAvionix app.  I'm a little disappointed.  After reading instructions and watching videos I didn't expected this kind of hiccup.  My plane was out of hangar with clear skies.   

Kerry,

See if you can find the other skybeacon thread...

There are a few thoughts on using the app discussed there...

Expect the iPhone5 to be a challenge as it is just starting to fall way behind for some things....

Best regards,

-a-

Hmm, I haven't heard that one yet.  I can tell you the wifi will shut off after 5 minutes, but if you were seeing it in your settings, that wasn't the problem.  You do have to connect to the SkyBeacon wifi before the app will go any further.  Once connected, it should be pretty straight forward.

The iPhone5 has some value as a TV around the house... and minimal web reading resource.... (using the Free WiFi)

Staples will sell you a new battery for $35... or,  just leave it plugged in...

Great for using as a fitness tracker left anywhere around the gym, it refuses to walk away...

My 5s did show a limit... it’s color screen isn’t color any longer... it is somewhat random...

Proof that these devices don’t have infinite life... 

PP thoughts only, not a techy...

-a-

My iPhone 5 works as good as the day I bought it. I can change the screen for $12 and 15 minuets. I can talk to people, send and receive texts and check my email. That's all I need. Oh, I can take pictures with it too.

But then again I flew IFR /A till last year. 

• Like 2

I used a Samsung tablet and got it to work.  I read a review that someone had trouble using their iPhone X with no luck. Then they tried it with their friends iPhone device and it worked.  I'm surprised I'm not hearing that more people are having trouble using the ios skyBeacon app.

On 5/12/2019 at 4:06 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

My iPhone 5 works as good as the day I bought it. I can change the screen for $12 and 15 minuets. I can talk to people, send and receive texts and check my email. That's all I need. Oh, I can take pictures with it too.

But then again I flew IFR /A till last year. 

Could you do a video showing the 15 minuet screen change?

When you are trying to connect to the wifi from the skybeacon, make sure you pay attention to the case when entering the passcode that came with it.  The passcode is case sensitive.  My long distance assumption is that you aren't successfully connecting to the wifi from the skybeacon and therefore the app won't connect.

Kerry, not sure if you got it working yet...but here is a quick tutorial.

1.Go to Wifi settings and find Beacon. Log into it using your password which came with the skybeacon

2. close wifi and go to your skybeacon app (available at the app store if you have not downloaded it) It will not come up automatically. You have to go to the app manually

3. Enter in your information and follow the directions. Once in and configured you should be good to go. 

Good luck!

2 hours ago, pinerunner said:

Hard to do while I'm changing the screen!

The 5 is pretty easy. Two screws at the bottom, pry the screen up or use a suction cup. two connectors, swap the button and put it back together. The screens are usually $16 on EBAY or Amazon.

11 hours ago, pinerunner said:

Sounds almost unbelievable, but... I once broke my iPhone's screen, and after looking online to find parts cost and how to do it, I decided to go to the Apple store to see what they would do.

The tech actually came out of the back, took a look at it, and said "It'll be a hundred bucks, and I'll be done in seven minutes."

He was done in four. !!!!! Probably had some practice!

• 3 weeks later...

Friend of mine put one of these things in. However his bus voltage is like 12.2 and it wouldn’t turn the WiFi on.  However, connecting it to a fresh 12v jump starter device  with a higher voltage turned the WiFi on. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 2:18 PM, GLJA said:

I had the same issue with my 8. Emailed uAvionix. They said put your phone in "Airplane Mode" (OHHHH The Irony). 
Went back to the airport, did that and BAM! 

I wish I'd seen this before going to the airport today.  I set it up using a friends android phone on Thursday, but tried unsuccessfully today to connect on my i-things.

The good news is that it passed the ADSB test with 0 errors.

3 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

I wish I'd seen this before going to the airport today.  I set it up using a friends android phone on Thursday, but tried unsuccessfully today to connect on my i-things.

The good news is that it passed the ADSB test with 0 errors.

You want to share your settings? I don’t get to the US a lot, and on a whim, tried to see if my flight in July was okay. Had a 6% error rate on it. 
Not sure what to do to try and fix. 

2 hours ago, GLJA said:

You want to share your settings? I don’t get to the US a lot, and on a whim, tried to see if my flight in July was okay. Had a 6% error rate on it. 
Not sure what to do to try and fix. 

I didn’t change whatever the factory default was.  I’ll send next time I’m at the airport if I can get connected.

PAPR_20191212_C06892_416231262.pdf

11 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

I didn’t change whatever the factory default was.  I’ll send next time I’m at the airport if I can get connected.

PAPR_20191212_C06892_416231262.pdf 198.29 kB · 3 downloads

Cyril

How did you get them to generate the report?

My paperwork is in the computer just behind yours.  Guess who is in the shop today.