Paint + vinyl ?

Hey everyone, I am getting really excited as I will be closing on a rocket next Tuesday ( the 14th)!

After we take delivery I will be taking it strait to the paint shop as the paint sucks and it just had a lot of skins replaced by the seller (long story)

We had gotten a quote on a specific paint job but I started to wonder if a better idea would be to go with an all over base of white and then just do any accent stripes with vinyl.  It will cut some cost and time off the paint job and would allow for the scheme to be changed at will for a LOT less than paint.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  How does the FAA view this?  Is this a stupid idea that I should just forget ?

love to hear what you guys have to say.

Austin,

It is a more popular method of decorating planes than most can imagine...

Often it is used to add a stripe to a simple white background...

Sometimes Tail numbers are applied this way...

Cessna has been using vinyl for eons... 

For complex graphics on aluminum planes look at Alaskan airlines for examples...   

google alaskan airlines images...

There is a thread around here specifically digging into details regarding vinyl, and safety issues...

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, Austintatious said:

Hey everyone, I am getting really excited as I will be closing on a rocket next Tuesday ( the 14th)!

After we take delivery I will be taking it strait to the paint shop as the paint sucks and it just had a lot of skins replaced by the seller (long story)

We had gotten a quote on a specific paint job but I started to wonder if a better idea would be to go with an all over base of white and then just do any accent stripes with vinyl.  It will cut some cost and time off the paint job and would allow for the scheme to be changed at will for a LOT less than paint.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  How does the FAA view this?  Is this a stupid idea that I should just forget ?

love to hear what you guys have to say.

FAA is fine with it.  Most new aircraft incorporate a lot of vinyl.  You can do it yourself, with assistance from a vinyl guy if you want, and even sign it off yourself as long as you don’t put any on the control surfaces. 

Hangared, I’d expect a quality vinyl to easily last 10 years.

• Like 2

American Flyers (nationwide flight school with huge fleet of Cessnas) started using vinyl for their  custom paint schemes long ago -- I think they were the first to do it on airplanes. When Cessna restarted  C-172/182 production, they consulted with AF and decided to use vinyl in standard production. I've seen vinyl-clad C-172s that have sat out on rental flight lines in the California sun for 15 years that look great.

Skip