stec 3100 vs stec 50

22 minutes ago, Doug Tellef said:

Tom, the pitch, roll, and trim servos are in the $3-4k range for the non-heavy duty applications like the Mooney, and overhaul is around $1750.  If you get your Purchase Order in now before the STC is issued for the Mooney series (scheduled for this August) then you will get a new 2 year warranty on your existing servos no matter how old they are.  Please let me know if i can answer any other questions that anyone may have.  Thank you and have a great day!

Doug, I really appreciate your no BS responses. Fully answering the questions and including pricing info, very helpful. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

Doug, I really appreciate your no BS responses. Fully answering the questions and including pricing info, very helpful. 

Glad to hear that, thank you!  I'm here to help, and will answer any questions that I can, luckily I am surrounded by some really smart people so if I don't know the answer I will be able to get it for you! 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 8:01 PM, MIm20c said:

I think the price delta between a three axis gfc500 and 3100 (upgrade) will be very small. The extra spent for removal/install of the servo brackets could be negated with a single stec servo overhaul if it fails the test. 

Which, if I understand it correctly, would be covered by the extended warranty provided you signed up for the prerelease program. So no charge for that...

On 5/17/2019 at 7:08 AM, vorlon1 said:

Which, if I understand it correctly, would be covered by the extended warranty provided you signed up for the prerelease program. So no charge for that...

The shop has to test each servo during installation. My guess is they have a max allowable voltage draw during operation (among other things) that will force some customers to overhaul the servo before installation/warranty. 

Edit: I was thinking amperage and typed voltage. 

Edited by MIm20c

8 hours ago, MIm20c said:

The shop has to test each servo during installation. My guess is they have a max allowable voltage draw during operation (among other things) that will force some customers to overhaul the servo before installation/warranty. 

@DougTallef 

Care to comment?

On 5/17/2019 at 6:08 AM, vorlon1 said:

On 5/17/2019 at 9:20 PM, MIm20c said:

Edit: I was thinking amperage and typed voltage. 

On 5/18/2019 at 6:34 AM, Bob_Belville said:

You mean: @Doug Tellef

If you get the Purchase Order in before the STC is issued you are eligible for the 2-year warranty on the existing servos.  Typically this date begins when the installation is completed and the dealer sends in the warranty card.  That being said, if it is discovered during the install of the new 3100 that a servo (that was believed to be working prior to beginning the upgrade) does not pass the tests and needs to be repaired, or if the part numbers are different between the existing servo and the part number required for the new STC for the 3100, then this would be covered under warranty.  This is not to say that the dealer can send in all 3 servos during an upgrade for overhaul regardless of operation, but if something is discovered broken or incorrect we will work with you.  Please let me know if you have any further questions.  Thanks and have a great day!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2019 at 7:07 AM, Doug Tellef said:

Tom, the pitch, roll, and trim servos are in the $3-4k range for the non-heavy duty applications like the Mooney, and overhaul is around $1750.  If you get your Purchase Order in now before the STC is issued for the Mooney series (scheduled for this August) then you will get a new 2 year warranty on your existing servos no matter how old they are.  Please let me know if i can answer any other questions that anyone may have.  Thank you and have a great day!

Doug, any update on the 3100 for mooney?

I read someone mentioning that the garmin servos were a better design than the stec/genesys.  Is that the general consensus?  The 3100 would prob be less expensive since I have a stec50, but I'm thinking about just using a G5 with my aspen panels to drive a garmin 500 AP when the time comes. 

21 hours ago, steingar said:

Am I missing something?  The Stec 3100 isn't currently certified for any Mooney that I can see.  Yeah, they're promising certification this summer.  Are you guys gullible enough to fall for this again?

Where do you see that?  Their website didn't mention Mooney where I looked.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The last I heard was that GenesysAerosystems needed 10 (or was it 20?) non-refundable deposits before the Mooney STC work could begin. According to Barry, who previously posed here on behalf of Genesys, they never got the the required deposits for the POs, so that was that for Mooney. I think there’s another thread somewhere.  Mooney is not in any queue!  None! Zip! Nada! Never! Ever!  I’m so frustrated with lack of a digital A/P for my Aspen/Avidyne combo, I’m this close to starting over!!

What say you Aspen? Avidyne?!  How about a “GFC500” -equivalent for us??

Grrrrr!!

• Like 2

Peyton, you left Dynon off your list..?

There are at least four Dynon big color screen owners around MS...

With spaces held for the Dynon AP...

The Genesys offer was interesting, but as a businessman, I couldn’t make any sense out of a non-refundable deposit for a complex item that nobody has delivered anywhere near on a known schedule...  

Then they came back with the “it only has to look like a non-refundable down payment...”   I am even less comfortable with that... If something comes up, like I am no longer able to fly... I retract my down payment through the back door that was left open... but look like a Class B businessman at the same time...  :(  Ethics is everything.

MSers have died while waiting for that long, for the Genesys AP... literally.  (Not intending to be funny)

If you look close at what happened... somebody wasn’t strong enough to understand the company, and the customer, at the same time...

It takes a real director of sales to fight for the customer... that company didn’t have it that day...

Not every day in the sales office is here’s my avionics, please buy it... I can take your order... would you like a cookie with that (up sell at the end) :)

This is a technical sale... here’s my product... this is why my product is the best for you... this is what you need to have to make it work... I see there are only three of you and possibly more... let’s make this happen!

If the company ever points at the customer and says you guys didn’t make it happen... I assure you it isn’t the customer’s fault..!

ABCs of selling... Always Be Selling...

The fun part of owning a Mooney... there are only a few fast and efficient planes at every airport...

The problem with that... There are only thousands of Mooneys... 

When Barry and Trek are looking to sell equipment... they are only one body... they stop in deliver their speech... hang out for a few days... then off to the next group... so many groups to get too...

Fortunately, Barry gave a target goal... unfortunately, it was way too high... just not enough takers...

Some of that hurdle was self induced... honest businessmen that couldn’t/wouldn’t set up a fake purchase order...

The fun part of MS... you can review the whole thing.  Go back and decide... would I buy this product from this company, or do I go to the other guys...

Sometimes what is important is the box... other times, it is the company behind the box...  but, it takes the people to make it happen...

Go people... take the good people!  :)

If Genesys can’t qualify their AP for a family of M20s...  while Big G is slaying the qualification program for their AP, model by model, production year by production year...  MSer after MSer...

Looks like it isn’t the Mooney owners at fault for not buying the Genesys product...

Holy cow... they were this close... (picture my finger tips closing together)...  

Its a football Sunday.... somebody dropped the ball!

To pick up the ball and run with it...

Expect to have to deliver...

• a better product...
  • a better service...
  • a better price...

The other guys have the lead... like it or not.  To not be an also-ran... it is time to deliver on all three and then some...

Sales isn’t easy... competition makes this the norm...

PP thoughts only, not an avionics sales guy. But I do know somebody that really would like a new STec AP...  Do the STec guys know that? Do they care...

Best regards,

-a-

I already have Aspen and Avidyne in the panel, with an aging, intermittently problematic Century 2000. Fixing an intermittent problem is not an option. The computer has been to Century and others: “problem not found.”

What do I do for a replacement autopilot???

7 hours ago, PeytonM said:

I already have Aspen and Avidyne in the panel, with an aging, intermittently problematic Century 2000. Fixing an intermittent problem is not an option. The computer has been to Century and others: “problem not found.”

What do I do for a replacement autopilot???

I'm in the same boat, with a Century III that has had about $14k spent on it for "overhauls" over the last three years and currently not working.   I'm hand flying until something comes out that I like.   The GFC500 isn't it, so I'm just waiting.