Thoughts on N6520U?

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=2327968&s-type=aircraft

It seems like a decent deal and I've briefly talked with the owner.  He says it just needs IFR cert (and probably an altimeter overhaul) to be fully IFR, which I'll need to have since I'd like to start working on pretty rapidly.

Feel free to reply privately.

Thanks!

Edited by afward
  • Like 1

When (date) was the engine and prop last overhauled? 5k hours so it wasn’t necessarily sitting idle for the last 56 years; a good thing. No-AD hub, ADSB compliance plus shoulder harnesses are nice bonuses. Those shotgun panels are so fugly. Looks decent to me. A good prebuy will be necessary. Damage hx? “All logs”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would want a good pre buy to focus on engine condition and airframe corrosion. The two big deal killers in my mind. 

It seems like the plane has had some decent maintenance and upgrades with the fuel bladders, gear pucks, lightweight starter and alternator. The Stratus ADS-B is another important, positive selling point.

The weaknesses include vintage avionics and whether or not the paint and interior appeal to you.

If you are happy with the overall condition, the Avionics work and the pre-buy checks out, I think the airplane is reasonably priced. The best part is...it has the curved rear windows!

NTSB Identification: CHI73FEP39
14 CFR Part 91 General Aviation
Aircraft: MOONEY M20C, registration: N6520U
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 FILE    DATE          LOCATION          AIRCRAFT DATA       INJURIES       FLIGHT                        PILOT DATA
                                                               F  S M/N     PURPOSE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3-0456   73/2/8    MIDDLETON,WIS       MOONEY M20C         CR-  0  0  1  NONCOMMERCIAL             PRIVATE, AGE 33, 400
        TIME - 0815                    N6520U              PX-  0  0  0  BUSINESS                  TOTAL HOURS, 90 IN TYPE,
                                       DAMAGE-SUBSTANTIAL  OT-  0  0  0                            NOT INSTRUMENT RATED.
        NAME OF AIRPORT - MOREY ARPT
        DEPARTURE POINT             INTENDED DESTINATION
          MIDDLETON,WIS               IRONWOOD,MICH
        TYPE OF ACCIDENT                                         PHASE OF OPERATION
           GEAR RETRACTED                                           TAKEOFF: RUN
        PROBABLE CAUSE(S)
           PILOT IN COMMAND - INADEQUATE PREFLIGHT PREPARATION AND/OR PLANNING
           PILOT IN COMMAND - FAILED TO ASSURE THE GEAR WAS DOWN AND LOCKED
        REMARKS- GEAR HANDLE NOT IN THE DOWN DETENT.
Full narrative is not available

Edited by BKlott

------- FAA Accident/Incident 1 -------
Occurrence Date 1984-11-21      Aircraft Make MOONEY
Aircraft Model M20C      Damage MINOR
Document Last Modified 2012-04-19               
Narrative ENGINE QUIT AFTER TAKEOFF. LANDED IN FIELD. 2 QUARTS OF WATER IN LEFT FUEL TANK, WATER IN CARBURETOR, GASCOLATOR.

------- FAA Accident/Incident 2 -------
Occurrence Date 1973-02-08      Aircraft Make MOONEY
Aircraft Model M20C      Damage SUBSTANTIAL
Document Last Modified 2012-04-19               
Narrative GEAR HANDLE NOT IN THE DOWN DETENT.

***** No NTBS Accidents Found *****

------- NTBS Pre 1982 Accident 1 -------
Qccurrence Date 1973-02-08      Aircraft Make MOONEY
Aircraft Model M20C      Aircraft Serial Number 000000002303
Damage SUBSTANTIAL      Accident Location MIDDLETON,WIS
Occurrences GEAR RETRACTED      Phase of Flight TAKEOFF - RUN
Causes INADEQUATE PREFLIGHT PREPARATION AND/OR PLANNING
FAILED TO ASSURE THE GEAR WAS DOWN AND LOCKED
     Narrative GEAR HANDLE NOT IN THE DOWN DETENT.

***** No SDR's Found *****

I wouldn't want to learn IFR without a GPS navigator. But that's just me. If its you too, let someone else buy it for you. Sinking panel money into these old planes is prohibitively expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@tigers2007 I forgot to ask him when we talked.  It did sound like he flies pretty regularly during the warmer parts of the year, so I don't imagine the overhauls are ancient.

@BKlott I'd seen that history already.  It's old enough I'm not really concerned, though certainly that would reduce the buyer pool at resale time (should I purchase this one).

I did ask about corrosion and his answer was that he hadn't seen any on the front portion of the cage, but that I'd certainly want to have it all looked over during the PPI.  Since I plan on a PPI anyway, that's a fair answer.

@NJMac I agree, but my target price limit currently doesn't support much that has an IFR GPS and doesn't have a run-out engine.  I'll have to discuss that with the household CFO... ;)

I hate to see anyone buy a Mooney without a good moving map GPS and without an autopilot. An engine monitor is also a must have for me, but it can be added inexpensively. The GPS and autopilot are, at the moment, prohibitively expensive to add, and so finding a plane with them can save a lot of money. It also helps with the resell when you're ready to upgrade or get out.

Also, for IFR flying, a standard 6-pack panel makes a huge difference as well. For these reasons, I'm not crazy about this plane.  I certainly understand budget constraints, but I'll PM you a couple of possible options to compare with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Learning IR skills without the GPS isn’t that much of a killer...

Living without the GPS afterwards is way more challenging... :)

VFR flying, and basic IFR flying... a pair of VORs and an ILS works pretty well...Most intersections are defined by two VOR lines crossing... the ILS will get you down near to the ground...

VFR and portable devices are pretty good together...

IFR on a regular basis... find a plane with a Garmin430 that is currently being used IFR in it...

The plane listed above is very limited in things most MSers discuss having or wanting to have regularly...

What type of flying are you trying to do with this plane?

I bought my first Mooney without MS support being available... it was listed as IFR capable... technically true, but it was missing the details required to properly train in...

Write a list of what you want your plane to have...

Don’t spend too much traveling to see planes when that money may be better spent on hardware and training...

That first plane acquisition is a tough one... lots of firsts...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 5

2 hours ago, AlexLev said:

^^ Agreed, learning IFR without at least a 430 is going to be very challenging. These units really do make IFR flying safer.

I agree, and around here the examiners will fail the 430 map and you will be taking most of your IFR checkride with nav radios only, so applicants are definitely challenged. The 430 is the way to go as far as actually flying IFR, but can seriously hamper your ability to actually get your rating if you train with it, depending upon the DPE.

In contrast, back When I had Part 135 check-rides and we had dual gps, they would fail the map screens and have you hand fly an ILS with vectors- it was no big deal. But we never did an entire ride with no gps. My primary IFR training and IFR check-ride was far more intense than any Part 135 check-ride that I ever had, whether it was in the aircraft or in the sim, simply because no moving map was permitted 90% of the time while I was working towards my rating.

Edited by PilotCoyote
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, afward said:

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=2327968&s-type=aircraft

It seems like a decent deal and I've briefly talked with the owner.  He says it just needs IFR cert (and probably an altimeter overhaul) to be fully IFR, which I'll need to have since I'd like to start working on pretty rapidly.

Feel free to reply privately.

Thanks!

In my opinion that’s just about as “inexpensive” as you are going to get into a sound Mooney. Obviously a good PPI is going to determine if it is a solid AF or not. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles ... but it isn’t 85 AMU’s either. Might very well be a good entry level Mooney that you can always recover your investment on when you are ready to move up to something that has more “features” when your budget allows. I flew Mooney’s equipped very similar to this for 20 years before I got a Mooney that had “most” of the bells and whistles and loved every hour that I flew them. Again ... “Good PPI = solid investment”.

• Thanks 2

I think the talk about it being suboptimal to learn to fly IFR without a GPS is untrue.  I think learning to fly IFR on needles only will make you a better pilot and will make your ability to maintain situational awareness stronger. Anyone can follow a moving map. I’m not pooh-poohing the great technology we have available today, it’s great for SI. I just believe that from a training standpoint it’s much easier to go from being proficient on steam gauges to glass then the other way around.  

I use the driving analogy. I learned to drive without antilock or traction control. Seems like every other winter I end up stopping to help some poor soul whose technology has failed them. Several of those times just knowing where to point the wheels and when to apply the throttle is all that is needed.

I’ve only been flying for about 20 years but I’ve been around airplanes my whole life. I have a great deal of respect for folks who learned and conducted operations on steam only.  It requires one to anticipate and stay ahead of the aircraft in a way that glass does not.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good PPI? Buy it, fly it, learn about it, sell it, and get your J model. 34 AMU asking isn't bad. That is about what I paid after the 15 AMU "first annual" to replace many worn parts that were certainly worn out (sloppy links, old rubber pucks, worn out this and that...)

• Like 1

A newer oil temperature gauge has been added along the bottom of the right hand instrument panel. Also, it looks like there is an autopilot controller mounted on top of the wheel well. You might want to ask seller if it works.  Looks like a nice plane. 

• Thanks 1

Good PPI looking for air frame corrosion and go.  Fly it VFR get your IR ticket in it.  Hand flying and using VORs is a go god way to get your IR ticket.

Afterwards light IMC flying going up or down though a layer to get where you are going this would be a good platform.

Decision time comes a few years form now:  find a model that has GPS and AP or upgrade this one some lower cost options might be available at that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For $34K that seems like a screaming good deal.  ADSB and bladders, so you don't have to worry about leaking tanks.  Yeah, its better to have an autopilot, and yeah its better to have an IFR GPS.  But for the low thirties you get what you get.  Personally, I think so long as this thing passes it's pre buy inspection, its a good deal.

If IFR GPS and autopilot are must haves, fine.  But you'll pay more for them.

Edited by steingar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With prices dropping for two-axis autopilots, he might actually save money to not have one already. 10-12 AMU for the TT or GFC500 installed.

Already ADS-B. So add 16 AMU for a GTN650, GI-106B, GMA 345 installed. Add 9.5 AMU for two G-5’s. Add 0.5 AMU for fresh panel metal. So 36-37 AMU more this will be a dream bird with a mid-time motor with all new modern electronics. Add 5 AMU more and have a GTN750 instead with the hidden audio panel.

It’s nice to be able to customize at your own pace and preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would say a standard 6-pack panel arrangement and an HSI are more beneficial to an instrument student than even a GPS and autopilot. After getting the IR, the GPS and Autopilot will be top of the list, but by then you might be ready to upgrade to a J.

• Like 1

Wow, lots of good commentary here.  I have a lot of thinking to do.

For what it's worth, the primary mission is "Take the wife on weekend getaways (no more than 3.5 hours away), vacations, and family visits".  Uncommonly we'll have our 6' tall son with us, but that shouldn't be too difficult (probably shorter flight segments, though).  Our daughter probably won't ever go with us (college bound in August, and has a bit of an aversion to flying in general).

I'm sure I'll also do my fair share of $100 hamburgers, sightseeing, fly-ins, informal pilot meet-ups, etc.

Thanks, everyone!

• Like 1

One other thing.  Lots of folks decrying the lack of a standard six pack.  If you go from one airplane to another, that is a valid criticism.  My Mooney is the only airplane I fly and that I ever will fly (might have to sell it soon, unfortunately).  If its the only airplane you fly, you get used to the panel however it's laid out and that becomes your normal.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Rwsavory said:

A newer oil temperature gauge has been added along the bottom of the right hand instrument panel. Also, it looks like there is an autopilot controller mounted on top of the wheel well. You might want to ask seller if it works.  Looks like a nice plane. 

You are correct, I missed the oil temp gauge.

Clarence

Dissenting opinion - these old birds have stood the test of time and are excellent IFR platforms, so there is nothing wrong with adding WAAS GPS, EFIS, and autopilots to them.  Of course it's cheaper to buy one that has these upgrades already, but there are many considerations to balance when buying any vintage plane.  If this air frame is in good shape on a prebuy, and it  is likely to fit your mission for the long haul, these planes are still an excellent long term value in terms of operational costs after hemorrhaging some money into the panel.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So an interesting twist:

On 5/10/2019 at 7:55 AM, Rwsavory said:

it looks like there is an autopilot controller mounted on top of the wheel well. You might want to ask seller if it works.

That's a Mooney Autopilot controller, and it is INOP.  I found one that looks like it on ebay (an ARC C-593B-2), but my Google-fu wasn't strong enough to find evidence anyone can/does overhaul them.

Does anyone know anything about these and whether the box / servos are just dead weight to be removed vs. fixed?