Need a little help...

afward

The former is N6520U discussed in the Vintage topic.  The latter is https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=2340194&s-type=aircraft, sold by https://upwardaircraftsales.com/plane/n6873n-1968-mooney-m20c-ranger/.

Sounds like the '68 has been flying regularly and the engine is still in good condition, though a careful PPI will definitely be required and an overhaul budget already allocated at purchase.

It is almost always a good idea to consider a "run out" engine, if it is running alright. You might get many more hours before the need for an OH. But naturally, this is far from the only consideration.

• Thanks 1

According to the broker, it has 70+ compressions all around and isn't really using oil.  The owner just retired after using it for business transportation, so I can't imagine it's sat for very long.

The big thing, of course, is to do a PPI and make sure the engine is OK, but that probably goes without saying...

If the seller of the number 1 airplane is being cagey, I'd strike it off the list.  You'll be depending on that guy for a whole lot of stuff, and if you can't raise him on the phone then the deal's no good.  People who want to sell airplanes answer telephones.

Also, when you do get in touch with the airplane you want, you can also see if there's a local CFI known to the seller.  I did that on one Mooney I was considering, almost bought it.

Mooney made more M20c's than just about all the other makes combined.  They're out there.  Don't be in a hurry.  In general the more you pay the more you get.

• Thanks 1

I really like 6873N on paper. As long as you have the overhaul baked into the purchase, it would make a great IFR trainer. No moving map GPS, but with an HSI and the STEC30/altitude hold, it's ready to go. I don't think you need another CDI, but I might be wrong. Like I've said before, there are a lot of nice conveniences that make IFR flying easy, safe, and enjoyable. But if I had to choose the top two, for me it's an autopilot and HSI.

Regarding the engine, you might get another 200 hours out of it, but you might not. I would probably install an EDM900 engine monitor or at least a G2 engine monitor before I even got it home. Data from that uploaded to SavvyAnalysis will tell you about valve health and a host of other things as well. Along with oil analysis, you'll know when it's time to overhaul.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, steingar said:

If the seller of the number 1 airplane is being cagey, I'd strike it off the list.  You'll be depending on that guy for a whole lot of stuff, and if you can't raise him on the phone then the deal's no good.  People who want to sell airplanes answer telephones.

Yeah, seller #1 doesn't reply very fast to anything.  It's... not very comforting.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:13 PM, gsxrpilot said:

I really like 6873N on paper.

So do we (as well as the logbooks and pictures so far), and we've decided to pursue purchasing it.  I plan to go take a look in person on Saturday.  So in prepartion...

Is there a good PPI shop near KLOU?

Any recommendations on a Mooney CFI near central Arkansas (KSUZ)? @Bryan, didn't you mention you knew a guy in Conway?  I'm looking at probably next month, assuming the engine isn't going straight to overhaul.

16 hours ago, afward said:

So do we (as well as the logbooks and pictures so far), and we've decided to pursue purchasing it.  I plan to go take a look in person on Saturday.  So in prepartion...

Is there a good PPI shop near KLOU?

Any recommendations on a Mooney CFI near central Arkansas (KSUZ)? @Bryan, didn't you mention you knew a guy in Conway?  I'm looking at probably next month, assuming the engine isn't going straight to overhaul.

I am a local to SUZ and have a C there in a hanger. Mike Williamson at SUZ has some Mooney time and has helped ferry Mooney planes all over the country. He would be where I would start here locally.  Mike helps run the club and is the lead instructor.  He isn’t a Mooney expert per say but has a ton of experience and can at least help you get current and get the plane back home safely for additional training.  Please feel free to contact me anytime as I live in bryant and would be happy to help anywhere I can. 501-326-2700 

Jake

Edited by jakearey

Ha, Mike was my PPL instructor via the club. :)

I was really looking for someone that's a Mooney driver to teach me the finer points, though Mike certainly knows my flying well enough...

Which hangar, and is Daniel your A&P?  I only know of two C models at the airport...  Feel free to PM me the reply.

Dang, sorry.  I wasn't ignoring your mention, I have just been out of pocket recently.  We are moving planes out of Conway for the impending threat of flood from the river that is supposed to be a record crest early next week.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2019 at 5:04 PM, afward said:

Aaaand that one isn't happening.  I won't comment publicly, but let's just say I went to go see it (543mi away) and am not going to buy it. :(

Thanks for the help, everyone.  I'll keep looking.

I'm very curious.  Can you give me a little insight?  I'm looking at buying a Mooney and I'm trying to learn about everything that would DQ a possible purchase.

Welcome, aboard Mike.

Let’s look at what would qualify a purchase...

1) Does it have clean and complete log books? (This helps, not a complete answer)

2) Does the engine still have time left on it?  2k hours is a typical TBO for most Mooneys, still not a complete answer...

3) How does the plane look? Kept in a hangar it’s whole life, or out in the Florida sun?

4) How does the instrument panel look? Lots of color screens with key words 2020 ready, WAAS enabled? Or like the day it left the factory.

5) what do you want the plane to be capable of? What’s your typical mission?

6) what is the current status of the plane? In annual, used often? Been sitting outside for a year?

7) once you establish these details for yourself, the Pre-purchase inspection, by an independent and qualified maintenance resource is next.  The PPI is the best defense for your wallet... it is imperfect, can be costly, but the best way to handle knowing what you are getting into.

8) Things that disqualify all planes... not just Mooneys... rust, dents, sun damage, leaks of either fuel or oil or rain...

9) enjoy the hunt! :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

@FlyByMike I replied to your PM, but just for completeness' sake I'll add that I'm not much further down the path of "first purchase" than you.  Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have gone to look at 73N as some of the issues are plainly obvious in the pictures on the broker's website (if one looks closely).

Good luck!

45 minutes ago, afward said:

@FlyByMike I replied to your PM, but just for completeness' sake I'll add that I'm not much further down the path of "first purchase" than you.  Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't have gone to look at 73N as some of the issues are plainly obvious in the pictures on the broker's website (if one looks closely).

Good luck!

There are many on this site that advocate exactly your experience, and include the time and travel expense as part of the deal in finding the right plane for yourself. 

• Like 1

Usually better not to get the first thing you look at.  I looked at three or four before I settle don mine.  Of course, I had an airplane already, so it did shorten the travel time a mite.  Keep after it, you'll find what you're looking for.  Just remember, the aircraft should be clean inside and out.  If the owner doesn't take good care of it when he's going to sell, how well is he gong to treat it normally?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...