Chicago... airport recommendations

Just flew in and out of MDW for work. I came close to going to Gary Indiana again, but the L’s (For Midway) schedule is so much better than the South Shore Line (for Gary). 

I kept the speed up on final until two miles out, then slowed and put the gear down. The controllers were quite good and it was kinda fun. 

Two things that I learned.

The over lay of ForeFlight for SID and STAR were very helpful. 

I should have learned the names of the VORs not just their identifiers. “Direct Peotone” is much different than “direct Echo Oscar November.”

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I need to go to Wilmette in a few weeks. I am thinking Exec or Waukegan. 

Coming from NY, so I need to either transition northbound through/over/under the bravo, or fly across 66nm of lake. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

If you cross the water, get up to 25,000 first.

I work out of Waukegan. Nice airport and no where near the congestion of Exec! Signature is ok but expect a ramp fee if you park on their ramp. I believe no fees if you park on the South ramp by the self serve fuel pump. 
David

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rbp said:

I need to go to Wilmette in a few weeks. I am thinking Exec or Waukegan. 

Coming from NY, so I need to either transition northbound through/over/under the bravo, or fly across 66nm of lake. Thoughts?

Either is fine. Optimizing for $ or drive time? Chose 1.

a fun way to go is file to GYY, cancel, and proceed up the lakefront under the Bravo. I don’t go across the lake in a single.  Weather usually decent VFR this time of year, and if it is not, it’s unflyable TRW’s more often than not.

-dan

Thank you everyone who chimed in.  My friend's house is 25 mins from Exec and 40 mins from WUK, so I'll probably go to WUK, along the shoreline. 

Looking at the FLY chart, can anyone confirm that recommended ALT northbound goes form 3500 to 2000 under that 3600' shelf (then back up to 2500) is due to the westbound arrivals into MDW (6000->3000)? I'm surprised the Charlie doesn't extend over the shoreline

Also, I don't see any air-to-air frequency like we have in the NYC exclusion zone. I guess talk to Chicago approach?

image.png.cf7a37985b964056145cd6fd5609aed5.png

1 hour ago, rbp said:

OK, I see now that its changing on June 15th

I hadn’t seen that. Thanks.  Not great for safety: forcing all traffic down like that, but I guess we should be grateful they left a corridor at all.

49 minutes ago, exM20K said:

I hadn’t seen that. Thanks.  Not great for safety: forcing all traffic down like that, but I guess we should be grateful they left a corridor at all.

i should have posted this

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2023/march/29/chicago-midway-class-c-expansion-mitigated#:~:text=The change was announced in,will follow the Chicago lakefront.

• Thanks 1