Chicago... airport recommendations

It's been almost 30 years since I've flown into Chicago so I assume things might be different. Back then I used Meigs with Midway as the IFR backup. Good memories.

On the way to AirVenture this year my copilot and grandson from MA is interested in working in a campus visit to DePaul while we're in the neighborhood.

Meigs would have been great with the University a few miles north... :(

DePaul is a couple of miles south of Wrigley Field. Suggestions?  

+1 on this thread!  I need to go to Chicago at the end of the month for a conference, remarkably close to where Bob needs to go.  I used Gary Indiana last time and did not find it convenient in the least.  Will use Midway this time unless there are better ideas.  

• Like 1

There are a few people that have reported using Midway and taking the train...

I used Gary, IA, and a rental car... KGYY... the only thing memorable was a flat tire halfway there... took 10 minutes and back on our way...

Coming from the East, this makes some sense...

College trips by plane... MSers have done this annually...

Of course we have a few MS profs that do this every week...:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I have used both duPage and Palwaukee (Chicago Executive) to visit different areas of that part of Illinois.  duPage is simple (but in the southwest part of Chicago) and Palwaukee is a full service setup with all the bells and whistles - but north of both Midway and O'Hare.  I like both and if I was hard IFR down to minima, I would pick Palwaukee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DXB said:

+1 on this thread!  I need to go to Chicago at the end of the month for a conference, remarkably close to where Bob needs to go.  I used Gary Indiana last time and did not find it convenient in the least.  Will use Midway this time unless there are better ideas.  

MDW FBOs - Atlantic vs. Signature? 

MDW FBOs - Atlantic vs. Signature? 
I fly into Atlantic all the time in Midway for work. Park my plane there and then go to work.
Great folks at Atlantic. I'm not sure what the regular rates are, I know Midway has a $7.50 landing fee. If the weather decides it wants to cooperate, I will be flying in there tonight. I can ask about fees.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

KMDW is closest to downtown and you have a White Castle across the street on the approach for 31 :) .  Recommend Uber downtown, the Orange line "El "train was easy but appears some of the nice folks residing in some of the neighborhoods are jumping on the train and robbing riders.

I used to live close to Dupage KDPA, a great airfield, easy to get in and out of  and under the ORD class Bravo. "Pheasant Run" resort is on the filed, golf, pools, and a decent lodge, close by in St Charles and Geneva has some great restaurants. You can take a train "Metra" commuter train downtown from Geneva or West Chicago (about an hour ride and safe).

If you haven't been, Wrigley is a must for baseball fans, last of the old stadiums and basically an outdoor party, bleachers are the best spot and the field is ringed with great saloons (Cubby Bear, Murphys, and more. Like most large cities Chicago has exceptional dining and classic spots.

Have fun , fly safe

• Like 1

Midway is really expensive but close. Like landing fee, security fee, parking fee, ramp fee, waste disposal fee, etc. Train is pretty quick but last time I was out there, Steve Harvey sent a Suburban out to pick up me and my birds.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Guitarmaster said:

Atlantic in MDW
7.50 landing. $20 facility (waived with 15 gallons) 20 overnight ramp and 15 security.

That's not bad.  I'd heard it was higher.

I couldn't go there when we went though.  Obama was visiting in Chicago and GYY was just outside of the TFR outer ring and MDW was inside the inner ring.  

3 minutes ago, Guitarmaster said:

Atlantic in MDW
7.50 landing. $20 facility (waived with 15 gallons) 20 overnight ramp and 15 security.

Thanks! Actually $62.50 for a night is not bad considering the prime location.  

• Like 1

If you're lucky you might walk across the ramp and see Matt getting into his plane after coming in from flying his "Real Job".  I did.  We looked at each other like; Holy crap, I know that dude!

I had flown a cancer patient down from the U.P. just after Air Adventure.  Ironically, her drive would have been a ton shorter if we could have used Meigs (which I did many times in my earlier years doing those flights).  I agree with Matt on the FBO.  They went above and beyond for my passenger.  The taxi dumped her at the main terminal on her trip back after her appointment.  One of the gals behind the desk jumped in a car and went over and picked her up.  Pretty impressive.

Tom

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, M20F said:

06C and get a ride or Uber to train station (about 5 mins away).  

I was planning a trip to that area in Late June, and I was wondering if I could catch a train into the city.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, steingar said:

I was planning a trip to that area in Late June, and I was wondering if I could catch a train into the city.  Thanks!

Roselle Train Station it is 2 miles directly down Irving Park road so you could walk or bike it easily enough.  If the weather is bad DPA is an easy diversion.  

They have a great bar/restaurant at 06C as well.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 201er said:

It's pretty bad if you need fuel on top of that!

mdw.thumb.jpg.93dc1a7a824b42bbbcdc555cfef314e6.jpg

Yeah, if you call those prices a $3 premium, the 15 gallons minimum costs an extra $45. To save a $20 facility fee. I will skip the fuel.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Yeah, if you call those prices a $3 premium, the 15 gallons minimum costs an extra $45. To save a $20 facility fee. I will skip the fuel.

That’s what I ended up doing. And bob with your 64 gallon tanks you can afford to take your business elsewhere too. With 52 gallons though, might just have to pay!

7 hours ago, 201er said:

That’s what I ended up doing. And bob with your 64 gallon tanks you can afford to take your business elsewhere too. With 52 gallons though, might just have to pay!

Exactly Mike. The 64 gallon add on bladders is turning out to be one of my favorite buys.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the insight, everyone. I’ll be visiting downtown Chicago a few times in the coming year, and his info is just what I was looking for. Leaning toward Midway, atm, or maybe Gary. Possibly a day trip, sometimes one or two nights.

If anyone has recent thoughts to share, I’m all ears. 

I grew up there, had to visit for a wedding last week.  I use DPA as it’s out west of the city, safe area.  If you have to visit the city you can take the Metra commuter train downtown much safer then the “El” 

I didn’t venture into the city, I have friends in the CPD that warned me it’s very unsafe everywhere, many of the higher end restaurants and shops are now bordered up In Michigan ave.

MDW is your closest, stay off the el trains,  hire a car or rent one if you are going downtown and watch your surroundings.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 12:19 PM, BlueMooneyOverKentucky said:

Thanks for the insight, everyone. I’ll be visiting downtown Chicago a few times in the coming year, and his info is just what I was looking for. Leaning toward Midway, atm, or maybe Gary. Possibly a day trip, sometimes one or two nights.

If anyone has recent thoughts to share, I’m all ears. 

I was in Gary twice this year. It is a $70 uber to downtown. You might as well rent a car. Everything around Gary is a little sketchy. 

I have always used Midway and took the EL into town. Never had any problems.

• Like 1

I just flew IFR in and out of Midway a couple weeks ago. The controllers were great and the nice folks at Atlantic gave me a ride into the city (it was a Sunday and things were slow). I do recommend it, just expect a few reroutes as they work you in. On the way out I took the train and then hiked through the terminal to catch a taxi to the FBO. I don't do Uber or Lyft or Ryde or Busss or Weel or any of that.

• Like 1