mooney m20J as a first plane

Hi,

Hopefully you guys can help. I just recently finished my ppl and am hoping to buy a plane to take my family around and complete my commercial hours. Would the m20J serve this purpose? I have 2 small children and my wife and I, looking to do some cross country in whichever plane I buy. I'm currently looking at a 1978 m20J. Looks like it's got some good avionics but had a prop strike 10 years ago, the engine was dismantled and looked at. Also for a few years it didn't fly much like 40 hours over 3 years, is this something I should worry about? Anything with that year I should look out for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Joe

A 201 should work just fine.  I wouldn't worry about about a strike from years ago, these machines are all getting old, I think finding one with no damage ever is going to be difficult.  So long as it was repaired correctly.  Mine flew 60 hours in six years, it survived just fine.  Of course mine was hangared the whole time.

Only worry I'd have is the tanks.  Mooneys have wet wings, and the sealant gives out eventually.  Those wings were sealed 40 years ago, if they aren't leaking they will, unless they've been refurbished or replaced with bladders.

• Like 1

Ditto the above.   An M20J is a very good first airplane, and a ten-year old maintenance item is no longer a maintenance item to worry about.   Get a good pre-purchase inspection done by someone familiar with Mooneys and negotiate.   Ask questions here, post pics, etc., etc.    This place is a good resource.

Welcome aboard Joe!

The PPI by an independent provider is the only thing standing between you and a really good flying machine...

M20Js make great family speedsters...

You only get to buy it once, so make sure it is loaded with everything you are going to want...

The TT by a Mooney specific CFI is critical to your success...

There are no standards for these, so keep both eyes open, and ask for references...

• Pre-purchase inspection
  • Transition Training 

Enjoy the hunt.  Use something reliable for comparison shopping purposes.... check their inventory, pricing, and descriptions... http://www.allamericanaircraft.com/default.htm

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

You'll do fine as long as you have good Transition Training from a Mooney-knowledgeable CFI, not just the one who happens to be available at home this weekend. 

There are many of us who did the same thing. I bought my Mooney five weeks after my PPL checkride, with 62 hours in my logbook.

Caution:  first year insurance can be painful for low hour, fixed gear pilots. The answer is to get good training and log 100 hours the first year, then premiums become much more reasonable. 

You will also notice that your trips need to be further away in order to build time. Mooneys are much faster, covering an amazing amount of ground . . . . .

• Like 4

4 hours ago, mooneyjoe said:

Hi,

Hopefully you guys can help. I just recently finished my ppl and am hoping to buy a plane to take my family around and complete my commercial hours. Would the m20J serve this purpose? I have 2 small children and my wife and I, looking to do some cross country in whichever plane I buy. I'm currently looking at a 1978 m20J. Looks like it's got some good avionics but had a prop strike 10 years ago, the engine was dismantled and looked at. Also for a few years it didn't fly much like 40 hours over 3 years, is this something I should worry about? Anything with that year I should look out for?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Joe

I bought a J that flew only 20 hours in 4 years shortly after a rebuilt motor went in, but it was based in NM and west TX so there was not so much humidity.

Otherwise, yes, an M20J is certainly doable, although I think there is a benefit to building more time in trainers shortly after getting your PPL.

@Hank is correct, it is annoying to have a faster plane because you don't build up time as fast.  I used to get 11 hours out of a trip to San Francisco, now I only get 6 hours :D

• Like 1

I bought my J in 2007 as a first plane after my PPL and I fell in love at first sight, so in ignorance I ignored the gas smell in the cabin because it smelled like the Cessna and Piper trainers I had flown. I soon realized she needed a strip and reseal on the fuel tanks, but other than some planned upgrades and an autopilot service I have been blessed with no significant issues in 12 years. Have her checked out with a good pre purchase inspection and enjoy.  Plenty of room and useful load for small children and parents, but with an average 975 pounds of useful load only you will know how long the J will serve your family. 

BTW I’ve had 4 adults and 50 lbs luggage and enough fuel for 2 hour hops and total 6 hour flights in a day many times. Still under my max 980 useful load. 

Thank you all for the quick responses. I will find out if there has been anything done on the fuel tanks. Trying to compare this to a Beechcraft c24r which is also available for similar pricing.

I'm from a small town so I'm not sure if there's a CFI around with Mooney experience but I'll see what I can do on that front. This plane is really far away but seems like a decent deal, has around 2800 Total time and around 900 SMOH.

Thanks again for all your help, I heard this community of Mooney owners was awesome and you've definitely shown that.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Yeah, that @mooneyjoe. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^  It's a popular option. Get some training, maybe have the instructor fly home with you for more training enroute, as well as good experience landing at unfamiliar airports along the way, with lots of good weather exposure and ADM practice too.

• Like 1

I bought our 201 on eBay before I had a license after 1 hour of student training. I don't recommend that as an example!

I didn't quite realize the extent of that abnormal decision until I heard people at the airfield restaurant talking about THIS GUY who... I joined them in the convo for about 15 minutes until I said...I think you are actually talking about ME!

Priceless moments in life...they are now the chatty Kathies that are super friendly now.

Fortunately, my instructors and now Mooney family friends did everything possible to train, help, challenge decisions, and support.

This forum can help you connect with that Mooney family.

We have been blessed with a great plane that we upgraded quite extensively and have definitely experienced the ownership experience of wet wings as you have been initiated in earlier posts.

The plane is wonderful. I trained on the typical Cessna fleet and transitioned right after. IFR immediately following. Less than 5 years later we have 500+ hours on our 201. The family loves it.

Does the plane have an autopilot that will satisfy you for the future (AKA alt hold, glideslope capture, etc)? Replacing vacuum gauges on an older frame is normal. Replacing AP too has been expensive estimate. TruTrak please hurry!

I agree with the previous poster on historical repaired damage incident. That is far different than recent damage and recent repair. You have to have faith in the machine or pass. It is your life and those you cherish most.

Things that we also had to do over the years to get her (aka Alpha) back to proper shape was gear disks, nose gear dent damage, starter, alternator, voltage regulator, prop maintenance, wear items...there will be extra bills once in a while. Alpha had very few hours for about a decade.

The Mooney is a phenomenal plane that you can transition to as your first and potentially lifetime airplane. It's been a great experience for our family!

We are off to the beach tomorrow!

You REALLY need a Mooney CFII as your transition instructor. MAPA has an active list which will have someone in your region.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Joe,

You are comparing two planes with near identical power plants....  (my favorite topic of conversation)

1) First select the engine...

2) Then select the speed you want to go...

3) Then select how efficiently you want to get there...

The IO360 is a great engine.  Powerful, four cylinder, normally aspirated, not a maintenance hog.... every mechanic on earth has worked on one...

If speed and efficiency are next on your list... Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

If you are looking at Js you could also consider Fs.  Many Fs have been modified with the J improvements but you can get them for ~$30k less than a J. 

However a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Sometimes it might just be worth the money to get the airplane search over with.  And you can’t go wrong with a J, its a great first airplane.