Another Mooney day on Flight Chops

DXB

On 5/8/2019 at 12:12 PM, xcrmckenna said:

I’m really surprised Canada let’s you count approaches towards your currency if you’re not under the hood in VFR conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure they don't. I commented about this on this video in Youtube. You may as well be pencil-whipping the logbook. Unless they do allow it, then forget my remark. 

I think that for the purpose of this entertainment video some poetic licence is assumed.  I’m sure Steve keeps himself legal for IFR flight.

If it were really meant to be for IFR currency we would be having all the chatter and play by play.

Clarence

I'm pretty sure they don't. I commented about this on this video in Youtube. You may as well be pencil-whipping the logbook. Unless they do allow it, then forget my remark. 

Yeah if that wasn’t the case I just wouldn’t want people seeing me do that spread all over YouTube, specially when I’m an air traffic controller:)

I think that for the purpose of this entertainment video some poetic licence is assumed.  I’m sure Steve keeps himself legal for IFR flight.
If it were really meant to be for IFR currency we would be having all the chatter and play by play.
Clarence

So Canada doesn’t allow IFR currency in vfr conditions without a view limiting device during the approach?

Most of my instrument rated friends do their check rides with Foggles in a plane or in a simulator, so I can’t see how practicing with them on would be different.

2. There are two parts to the instrument recency requirements:

• (A) Within 24 months preceding the flight the pilot must have completed one of the following:
    • a. An Instrument Rating flight test;
    • b. A Canadian Forces Instrument Rating Flight Test;
    • c. A foreign IFR Proficiency Check from a Contracting State having a reciprocal licensing agreement with Canada;
    • d. An IPC; or
    • e. One of the following checks for which the validity period has not expired that included the instrument portion of:
      • i. a proficiency check or competency check completed under Subpart 4 of Part VI;
      • ii. a LOE from an approved Advanced Qualification Program (AQP) conducted by a Canadian Qualification Program Evaluator;
      • iii. a foreign pilot proficiency / competency check approved by a Contracting State, conducted by a foreign Check Pilot authorized to conduct IPCs for commercial and private air operators of that State, while the holder is working for hire and reward for a foreign commercial or private air operator; or
      • iv. A PPC conducted in accordance with the PPC schedules to the Commercial Air Services Standards in respect of the corresponding aircraft operated under Subparts 2 to 5 of Part VII.
  • (B) Following the first day of the 13th month following the completion of one of the items in (A) above within six months preceding the flight have acquired six hours of instrument time and completed six instrument approaches to minima according to approved instrument approach procedures in an aircraft or Flight Simulation Training Device (FSTD) as specified in the Exemption

I pulled this from the Canadian Owners and Pilots Association site.

Let us look at two relevant scenarios. In both scenarios, your IFR ticket is within its two-year IPC period and is valid.

Scenario 1:

Your 6-6-6 is current but about to expire. You can then file and fly IFR. The 6-month period will be up in a few days and you are missing two approaches and a bit of instrument time. You have three possible means of catching up and ensuring your 6-6-6 does not expire:

• Use an FSTD which is instrument ground time with an instrument-qualified instructor and is always a valid means of maintaining your recency;
  • VFR in VMC: this is the simulated instrument time scenario. TCCA interprets this as ‘’with the use of VLD’s’’. Then, you definitely need a safety pilot;
  • IFR flight plan in IMC or VMC: file an IFR flight plan and go fly the required approaches and instrument time in IMC or VMC.  In order to have a more effective practice of instrument flight a VLD is recommended in VMC and requires a safety pilot with you to help keep an eye out for other traffic.

Scenario 2:

Your 6-6-6 has expired. Even if your IFR ticket is still valid, you cannot file IFR. You have three possible means of updating your 6-6-6:

• Use an FSTD which is always a valid means of renewing your currency with an instrument-qualified instructor;
  • VFR in VMC: this is the simulated instrument time scenario. TCCA interprets this as ‘’with the use of Vision Limiting Devices (VLD)’’. Then, you definitely need a safety pilot;
  • IFR flight plan in IMC or VMC: You cannot file IFR in this scenario. You then need somebody with you whose IFR is valid and 6-6-6 is current. The IFR flight plan will be filed on that qualified person’s IFR ticket and you go fly the required approaches and instrument time in IMC or VMC. Our second post stated: ‘’ That qualified person can be a Flight Instructor with valid IFR and 6-6-6, a CPL with valid IFR and 6-6-6, an ATPL with valid IFR and 6-6-6, or you can go all the way to a TCCA authorized and qualified examiner.’’ We can now add a PPL to this list of qualified pilots.

The astute reader will notice and question a peculiar aspect in all of this. If you fly on an IFR flight plan in VMC, you do not need a VLD to satisfy you 6-6-6 currency. If you fly in VMC with no IFR flight plan, you would need a VLD to be able to count your flight time as simulated instrument time towards your 6-6-6. Discussions are still ongoing within TCCA on this one. Don’t go away, we will be right back!