Bravo Battery Voltage

Davidv

My battery voltage is consistently registering 28.9 while in flight.  Does anyone know how far out of tolerance it’s operating?  I’m afraid I’m cooking the battery but wanted to see if others run high or if I need to adjust the voltage regulator (or something else).

Thanks!

• Like 1

My battery voltage is consistently registering 28.9 while in flight.  Does anyone know how far out of tolerance it’s operating?  I’m afraid I’m cooking the battery but wanted to see if others run high or if I need to adjust the voltage regulator (or something else).
Thanks!
Mine has the same issue and I'm taking it in tomorrow for correction.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Where are you measuring the 28.9 from, and what with?   For a reference point, mine sits at 28.1 pretty consistently with RPM over 900 or so, with the odd excursion to 28.2 as measured/recorded by a JPI on the master bus.

Turning on the highest load I can (all four non-LED landing & taxi lights, pitot heater, backup vacuum, electric pump, beacon, reco & ice lights etc) I get 26 volts at about 1400 RPM on a single alternator or 1000 RPM on both, and 28 volts from about 1500 RPM on a single alternator/1200 RPM on both

5 hours ago, Davidv said:

Thanks!

I get usually inbetween 27 and 29. never had an issue between either batteries.

Service Manual Section 24-31-03 "Post Installation" Step 5 and "Troubleshooting Tests"  Step 7 suggest the value should be 28.2 - 28.7 volts, so looks like we both need an adjustment. However, the Zeftronics Specification in the introduction gives 28.5 +/- 0.4V so we're both just within tolerance.  I'll bounce this off my A&P, but on the basis the adjustment appears to a) 24-31-02 "To be performed only by a Mooney certified repair station",  b) involves drilling out rivets, and c) that I get years out of batteries whilst some others seem to make this an annual event, I'm inclined not to rock the boat.

Anyone got a good manual for the A25EAM?

I assume the voltage regulator on an ovation is the same as a bravo.  I was also getting about 28.9 and Savvy flagged it on their analysis report.  The MSC adjusted it.  I got billed for 1.5 in labor and no parts so it couldn't have been that hard.  I assume the MSC only part is more about the test rig it says you need to adjust it but I didn't see what they did and don't really know.  It couldn't have been that bad given the modest bill I got for it.

• Like 1

FYI I called premier (MSC near me) and they said the optimal is 28.2 but 28.9 is in tolerance.  He thought that 28.9-29.0 wouldn't be hurting the battery.  There is some sort of upper end cut off that protects it from going over 31.  I also haven't checked the battery with all of my lights on so I'll probably do that next time go up to see how much that impacts the reading (I'm usually looking at the JPI in cruise when just my strobes are on during the day).

• Thanks 2

The voltage will vary a bit with temperature and load. Turn everything on, and the system should maintain 28 to 28.5 volts.You can have a 1 volt difference between an engine monitor and a factory gauge, depending on where the add on equipment is reading the voltage, and where it is grounded.

• Like 1