Fuel Indication Issue

New owner so have some compassion.  I purchased a 1968  M20C that had been sitting for some time.   After getting it flying one of the fuel gauges shows full all the time (which was how the plane had been stored for an extended period of time ).  The question is has anyone seen these indicators start working after being put back into service after an extended period of storage?  Described on this forum was a good description of how the indicator works with the wiper across a small coil and I was wondering if the assembly just needs to be moved around to come back to life.   The airplane has the O&N bladders.

Thanks

Old Chub

Might want to start by checking continuity of the sending unit wires. Also check to see that your units are grounded- I installed mine with a new gasket and special rubber sided washers that I got from the overhaul shop and I lost my ground... had to remove a screw sealing washer to get the ground back.

Then pull your sending units and check them with an ohm meter... both of mine were toast after extended storage and had to be overhauled. Both of them were also leaking through the stud for the wire terminal, so they were going to be overhauled no matter what.

As a reference, After overhaul, my sending units read about .5 ohm when at the bottom stop (empty). And no leaks. 

You will need to expose the quantity senders which are behind the interior panels beside the crew seats.  Remove the nuts and wires from the studs on the transmitters, using 2 jumper wires to crisscross the wires.  Now you can determine if your got a gauge or transmitter issue.

Clarence

Before spending time effort or dough...

At least be aware of Cies digital sensors...

In the event of going all Digital, you may want the extra accuracy of the new sensor type to go with the new engine monitor types that are available...

If staying old style... that is Good too! :)

Many of us are familiar with cleaning, and calibrating Mooney fuel systems... most have added a back-up system like a FF meter and totalizer... relying on the old fuel level gauges without back-up, increases your risk of a fuel mismanagement challenge...

Pp thoughts intended to share what others are doing around here...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

My personal recommendation is to get the dial gauges on the wings if they’re still available and call it a day (both of mine came with them). I’ve had one stick full, once, and it was obvious, but aside from that they’ve been spot-on reliable and accurate. 

On 5/13/2019 at 8:04 AM, FloridaMan said:

My personal recommendation is to get the dial gauges on the wings if they’re still available and call it a day (both of mine came with them). I’ve had one stick full, once, and it was obvious, but aside from that they’ve been spot-on reliable and accurate. 

Agreed, I had the wing gauges added at reseal and they are great.  However, i wonder about legality of leaving the original inop, especially reading full.

I vaguely recall some regs about reading accurate at empty and requirement for flight...

Edited by 65eTurbo

On 5/6/2019 at 10:28 PM, carusoam said:

Before spending time effort or dough...

At least be aware of Cies digital sensors...

In the event of going all Digital, you may want the extra accuracy of the new sensor type to go with the new engine monitor types that are available...

If staying old style... that is Good too! :)

Many of us are familiar with cleaning, and calibrating Mooney fuel systems... most have added a back-up system like a FF meter and totalizer... relying on the old fuel level gauges without back-up, increases your risk of a fuel mismanagement challenge...

Pp thoughts intended to share what others are doing around here...

Best regards,

-a-

Start with seeing if you can move the float up and down in a less full tank.   Don't use anything poky and puncture your bladder,  Don't blow yourself up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 65eTurbo said:

Agreed, I had the wing gauges added at reseal and they are great.  However, i wonder about legality of leaving the original inop, especially reading full.

I vaguely recall some regs about reading accurate at empty and requirement for flight...

On the rocket, we had to chase down an indication issue. They worked fine outside of the tank and would fail as soon as installed. The connection between the two sending units was spliced together and making a poor connection.