Replacement parts for PC system

Good Morning.

My mechanic is still trying to chase down the reason my PC system rolls right. Hoses have been replaced but we are still seeing the issue. He spotted a small tear in the servo boot and we are thinking that might be the cause. Can someone tell me where one might find replacement parts for this system given that Brittain is unavailable? Attached a picture of what he found.

Thanks for the help!

boot.JPG

2 hours ago, nightmoves said:

Good Morning.

My mechanic is still trying to chase down the reason my PC system rolls right. Hoses have been replaced but we are still seeing the issue. He spotted a small tear in the servo boot and we are thinking that might be the cause. Can someone tell me where one might find replacement parts for this system given that Brittain is unavailable? Attached a picture of what he found.

Thanks for the help!

boot.JPG

Are you sure Brittain is no more?  I can't keep track of the status of the company as it is seems to be in a continued state of flux.  I would call them to make sure they don't have any replacements available.  If that fails, send me a PM, I have a few extra servos and one may work for you.

Edited by Shadrach

Brittain was still answering the phone as of a few weeks ago, but they seem to be in hibernation/recovery mode while the new owner gets up to speed.  They weren't able to supply parts when we spoke to them, so we bought a salvage part from Texas Air Salvage instead.  Hopefully this is a dynamic situation that improves on a weekly basis.  Certainly worth giving them a call: http://www.brittainautopilots.com/

51 minutes ago, HRM said:

2WKR2_AS02?$zmmain$

Probably not legal, but you might make an "Owner Produced Part" argument.

I would consider repairing the servo on my retractable step. Wing leveler? Negative. There is no anunciator to tell you it has failed unless you have a complete vac failure. I no it’s a crude and simple device but in smooth it does relieve some of the load on the pilot. I want to be confident that it’s in good working order. 

Also, now that I think of it, those of you with wing levelers should pull the button for a few minutes and ensure that your plane is reasonably rigged for wings level. The wing leveler will mask a heavy wing until it fails...if it fails in IMC and you have a heavy wing, your work load is increased significantly.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:17 AM, Shadrach said:

I would consider repairing the servo on my retractable step. Wing leveler? Negative. There is no anunciator to tell you it has failed unless you have a complete vac failure. I no it’s a crude and simple device but in smooth it does relieve some of the load on the pilot. I want to be confident that it’s in good working order. 

I think the operative factor here is related to the volumetric measure of your cojones.

The Brittain System is most forgiving (unlike the Max 8) of pilot override actions. My experience with a failed aileron servo was a somewhat aggravating pull that was easily overcome and removal of the PC button cut it out completely. Of course, I then had no PC. In my experience it is always obvious when the Brittain is not working. When it IS working is not always obvious--I had a CFI/I remark to me during a training flight that I had "Excellent rudder skills." He had no idea that the PC was doing all the work.

IMNSHO, an AP should always be viewed as a convenience and never an essential element of pilotage. So, what you need to be prepared for is the fact that it will fail, period. When that happens is left to probability. So you slap some "Rapid Rubber Repair" on the servo and go flying on a beautiful VFR day. If it works fine, you are done--but you must always be prepared for it not working in the future. 

Far too many pilots are dependent on equipment rather than basic "Stick & Rudder" skills to the point that when the equipment takes control of their aircraft they fail to realize what is happening and, even worse, they do not know how to take the control back.