Mooney grass strip

8 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Looks like you’ve a few 1000” of paved taxi way that would work as well.

You're right there is a fair bit of asphalt on the taxiways but it's not as flash as it looks in Google Earth !

Some of the grass is pretty rough too. We've had a number of conversations and would much rather be on a long bitumen strip.

One of the big worries is how those fuel tank seals like getting regularly shaken on the grass.

regards PatrickF

On 5/4/2019 at 11:26 PM, Cody Stallings said:

Following!!!

Been Really wanting to go back to Gaston’s, But I have a Rocket now So.....

I've landed my R at Gaston's several times. Use proper technique and you're good. 

I do appreciate having speed brakes on landing, though. Do a normal short-field landing with them stowed, but as soon as you're level just above the ground, pop them out - That helps to get your wheels down and into the grass, and also helps to keep you from getting thrown back into the air by some of the bumps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Ha! A 200hp E will do that at gross (with little margin) at sea level.  If you dive into the numbers, I think you’ll find that the vintage 4 cylinder machines get up, off and out faster than most of the high horsepower brethren when operated at what would be considered useable weights.

No question... the long body planes are bloated pigs flying on the same wing as a 200HP E.  The power to weight ration slightly favors the heavy planes, but it's asking a lot of that wing.

-dan

36 minutes ago, flyingcheesehead said:

I've landed my R at Gaston's several times. Use proper technique and you're good. 

I do appreciate having speed brakes on landing, though. Do a normal short-field landing with them stowed, but as soon as you're level just above the ground, pop them out - That helps to get your wheels down and into the grass, and also helps to keep you from getting thrown back into the air by some of the bumps.

Thanks for the tip @flyingcheesehead I haven't tried that option but will give it a try.

regards PatrickF

• Like 1