Vernier Throttle Push Button Came Apart on Final

FYI, for any owners that have the vernier throttle in their Mooney might want to check the tightness of the push button vernier throttle (black button on the end of the throttle).  Mine came completely out yesterday while turning final at 1000' coming into Scottsdale, AZ yesterday.  The black button fell out in my hand, and the spring inside fell out onto the floor.  It took me a few seconds to realize what was going on, and another few seconds to make sure I had control over the engine, but at that altitude, there wasn't much time.   After shutdown, I was able to screw the button back in along with the spring that goes inside of it.  From now on, I'll check this as part of my preflight.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting pirep, Allegro...

Without the button... how did the throttle behave?

Memory challenge...  the button is a lock release... if you needed full throttle for a go-around... what would happen next?

Does the vernier twist still operate with the lock on?

I would expect... pushing the throttle would be locked out... twisting the throttle would be operational....?

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

I replaced my vernier on my Eagle with a very nice friction lock cable from MacFarlane.  Based on the experiences I've had with verniers plus the one you mention, you won't find them on a plane that I own.  You should count yourself lucky that it just did not get stuck when you needed to apply power on a go around - I've was sitting shotgun once when another owner had a vernier completely lock up on him - I vowed never to own a plane with one after that experience.  The MacFarlane one I added I feel is far superior and has a much nicer feel to it as well and adjustments are much smoother and easier than the vernier. 

I agree.  I never had a vernier throttle lock-up, but when I rebuilt my plane I made sure I stuck with the friction lock style originally on the vintage Mooney aircraft. 

One must be able to make small throttle corrections on landing which seem cumbersome with a vernier throttle.  On landing, I loosen the friction lock to insure I can make small changes easily.

John Breda

I will check mine, thanks for the pirep.

I for one, love the vernier throttle. I have no trouble making fine engine changes. In fact, I find it easier. The only time I wish I didn’t have it is when flying formation but I have a simple solution for that with Velcro and a key ring.