RPM's on G1000 showing "0", during Engine Operation

After starting the TSIO-550G engine yesterday, the G1000 MFD displayed the RPM's as Zero, even though the engine was running just fine.  I recycled the MFD twice with the CB, and completely powered the plane down with the Alternator and Master switch both off, then back on again, with no help.  I called my MSC, who was no help either, and also spoke to Garmin Field Service, which was absolutely no help or assistance for that matter.  

Has anyone experienced this issue of ZERO RPM displayed?  The only thing I know to do would be to remove the GEA71 (engine and airframe) box in the tail and reinstall it.  The GEA71 gets it's RPM from a sensor someplace, but I have no idea where the RPM sensor is located.  I'm assuming in the engine compartment, but I don't know.   The RPM indication finally started working again after about 11 minutes and continued to work until shutdown.  

Thanks for any guidance.  

David

My G1000 just X’ed out my left gas tank,  the connection my be dirty or something, one of my transducers were dirty and I lost my cat on one cylinder most things are at the connection wherever it may be. I’ll be trying to figure out my fuel reading after my trip.

3 hours ago, Danb said:

My G1000 just X’ed out my left gas tank,  the connection my be dirty or something, one of my transducers were dirty and I lost my cat on one cylinder most things are at the connection wherever it may be. I’ll be trying to figure out my fuel reading after my trip.

Do you need help finding the cat? ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had the same thing....There are 2 round wire harnesses on the pilot side adjacent to the fire wall. They are easily accessed by removing just the top cowling.  Disconnect and clean out both sides of the harness with an electronic cleaner. This will be a good first start. If no improvement trace wires to find break.

• Like 3

I've had the same issue happen after an oil change.. the pickup wiring at the mag is very delicate.  The shop was able to re-solder the connection and it hasn't been a problem since. 

I had the same thing happen only my tach was bouncing around on my G1000. Check the small wires coming out of your left mag, there are small cheap connectors they used about 8in up from the mag, easy fix to replace.