78J in Maryland

3 hours ago, steingar said:

I suspect if the seller gave you that aircraft for free you'd be upside down before you made it safe.  What a damn shame.

Not a shame at all... These planes keep YOUR planes airworthy....  If we all had to buy NEW parts from Mooney , Most of us would not be flying at all....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan Fox said:

Not a shame at all... These planes keep YOUR planes airworthy....  If we all had to buy NEW parts from Mooney , Most of us would not be flying at all....

I agree but...

Looking at those pictures it is hard to imagine anything air worthy left on it.

Know airplane very well!  Was one’d by excellent A&P/IA for years.  He passed in 2008 and basically plane sitting since.  I have flown and ridden in plane many times including escapade across Canada to purchase another plane.  Plane is in estate now and I have tried to buy plane from the estate many times.  Was recently started and moved to be sold and flown to California, but fell thru!  Sons are in charge of plane, bot A&P/IA’s.  They are not thinking very well on price and have it way over valued!  Any ?’s about it let me know.  Plane was regularly flown from DC area to NC and FL weekly before began sitting.

Looks like a kit alternative to me.  Take it all the way down and replace with NEW, strip, seal, (etc etc) EVERYTHING!  Make a brand new J for 200k oh it it might be worth 115k.  But, it is a J and not an RV.  Or to Alan Fox it goes!