Lasar cowl enclosure

I had purchased my Lasar cowl enclosure some years ago and never got around to it and now have some time on my hands to do the install.  For the life of me though, I can't find the instructions that came with it.  I can call Lasar on Monday, but wondering if anyone had done a short video or picture sequence of their installation and if there were any lessons learned from your experience.  

Thanks,

Don

Edited by dcrogers11

Just call LASAR.  The instructions are very clear.  There are several options of installing. Each takes a different amount of time.  I didn't do a video, but install took a bit longer than that listed on their website.  I did the more complex installation option.  It came out good.  Improved cooling, not sure about any speed gains.....

+1 to just call LASAR.

I also did the more complex installation where the cowl enclosure is sandwiched between the cowling skin and the structure. It really looks a lot better than the original or the other options, but it does take a good bit more time to install.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:47 PM, Andy95W said:

+1 to just call LASAR.

I also did the more complex installation where the cowl enclosure is sandwiched between the cowling skin and the structure. It really looks a lot better than the original or the other options, but it does take a good bit more time to install.

I didn’t do this installation, but as Andy pointed out it looks like it can be installed at least two different ways. Mine was this way when I bought it.

5DF7C51A-D0BE-44A4-8020-121FA2F9499D.jpeg

My plane uses flush screws installed by previous owner. It makes it much easier to access the alternator and starter. It looks pretty good, but not a nice as the sandwich installation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mooniacX said:

My plane uses flush screws installed by previous owner. It makes it much easier to access the alternator and starter. It looks pretty good, but not a nice as the sandwich installation.

Do you have pictures of this version?  I really like the idea of access, hate pulling the bottom cowl to get at the starter and alternator.  

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 5:56 PM, takair said:

Do you have pictures of this version?  I really like the idea of access, hate pulling the bottom cowl to get at the starter and alternator.  

I have this picture. Its not the best, as we were putting in a new alternator and not all the screws were put back in. Sorry for the sideways shot..IMG_6722.JPG.36c66d9b3ea8e3cc26a0547e433621a1.JPG

• Like 1

LASAR claims better cooling, less cabin noise and a 5 mph increase.... has anyone seen one or more of these claims? It does look better than stock and it’s a fairly  expensive mod, depending on the way it’s installed. I’ve considered installing it as an  aesthetic mod and be happy if any of the other benefits came true 

On 5/8/2019 at 2:47 PM, mooniacX said:

If I were installing myself, I'd favor doing it this way.  That bottom cowl is such a PITA to drop on the vintage birds.   

But mine came with it installed - it certainly looks nicer.  If it helped cooling, I'd hate to imagine what my cooling was like before it was installed...it's still pretty lousy now.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 1:47 PM, mooniacX said:

So with the flush screws, the enclosure is removable?  

Measuring a noise decrease...

One would have to first measure the current noise level...

Its pretty high to begin with...

We have three sources of noise...

• prop tips... nearing the speed of sound...
  • Exhaust noise...a muffler that doesn’t really muffle...
  • Air frame sound... We are Not really noticeable coming in in stealth mode...aka dead stick...

Might want to look into that claim... there must be more detail to it?

Having the prop made from composite materials can also change the sound quite a bit, for people on the outside...

Europe has a few laws about noise reduction, MT has put some effort in for that...

For comparison, The O has a nicely enclosed cowl... great CHT cooling, with no cowl flaps at all... And it is pretty quiet inside for having a reciprocating 9 liter engine up front...

The sabremech cowl took many steps to smoothing airflow inside the cowl and outside the cowl as well...  Doing away with the square-ish dog house is a brilliant airflow design step....

PP thoughts only, not a sound...   hmmmmm... not a noise engineer...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

I've completed the installation and opted for the external option as I wasn't wanting to tear into the lower cowling.  After the storms pass, I should be able to try it out and see if there is any noticeable improvement on cooling and speed.  I've not had a cooling issue, but certainly should help on the extremely hot Texas days coming up.  

Don

IMG_4156.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

• Like 4

Having done a cowling mod very similar to the SWTA cowling on mine and 3 other aircraft, it’s very labor intensive. That and the fact that it only will work on certain year models is the reason I switched to doing a full new cowling. My new cowling will fit the early model Mooney’s all the way up to and including the J models. It will be much less labor cost to install. I was able to get some valuable data from the 4 airplanes I modified and put that into my new cowling. 

David

Edited by Sabremech
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/28/2019 at 7:03 PM, dcrogers11 said:

After the storms pass, I should be able to try it out and see if there is any noticeable improvement on cooling and speed.

Have you had a chance to fly it yet?